The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
2 genetic defects which were effectively kept at bay by being a 20+ a day smoker. Malignant hyperthermia mutation in RYR1 and PHKA1 mutation, both detected following a DNA analysis. Rare as rocking horse poo, and saved by some very wonderful people in London who I now see 6 monthly. Got some magic tablets that make it all go away when I get an episode.
Amazing! (I don't have a clue what it is but it sounds horrid ...)

Brandane

Legendary Member
Feel free to shoot this down in flames - but I have a proposal for a rule change/adjustment.

I did this metric century challenge for a couple of years but then for the last 2 years I haven't bothered. The reason being that the challenge became over-run by people who were posting metric centuries pretty much on a weekly basis. In my eyes, that means that doing a metric century loses it's "challenge" status if people are able to do them on such a regular basis. It made my once per month efforts seem a tad pathetic!

My proposal therefore would be to restrict the number of metric century rides counting towards the challenge to one per month. Obviously riders would be welcome to ride 100km every day if they so choose; but only one per month should be posted.

Good or bad idea? I am open to having my POV on this changed; and I might even take part again for 2018 :smile:.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Feel free to shoot this down in flames - but I have a proposal for a rule change/adjustment.

I did this metric century challenge for a couple of years but then for the last 2 years I haven't bothered. The reason being that the challenge became over-run by people who were posting metric centuries pretty much on a weekly basis. In my eyes, that means that doing a metric century loses it's "challenge" status if people are able to do them on such a regular basis. It made my once per month efforts seem a tad pathetic!

My proposal therefore would be to restrict the number of metric century rides counting towards the challenge to one per month. Obviously riders would be welcome to ride 100km every day if they so choose; but only one per month should be posted.

Good or bad idea? I am open to having my POV on this changed; and I might even take part again for 2018 :smile:.

I quite like that. Personally I still find doing 1 a month a challenge, I think I may have done 2 in one month this year but certainly no more.

13 rider

Guru
This is how the Imperial century is ran ( as I found out when I posted 2 in a month) so it wouldn't bother me .
But I see the challenge as personal one so does it matter if other people post more than you ?
Personally I posted just 1 ride per month and posted the others in the half century towards a silly points total so I'm easy whatever is decided

GuyBoden

Guru

Maybe, a separate 100km a week challenge is needed? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I must admit that Guy's metric century-fest makes me feel a bit humbled, but then I reassure myself that I climb hills better than him! :whistle:

(Conveniently ignoring the fact that @Sea of vapours also does a lot more metric centuries than me, all of which are hilly, and he is faster than me as well! :laugh:)

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Well done on taking on the thread for 2018 @cosmicbike . It can be like herding cats at times so well done again

I need to be a bit more organised. Would be great if all taking up the challenge note the little bit in bold at the end of the opening post, and use a single post for all their qualifying rides throughout the year, just editing the original post. Based on this year's numbers that should only leave about 2-3 pages to check through to update who's in/out as the year goes along....

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Another vote for only posting one a month, that is already what I do. I cannot be bothered to keep coming back to the thread to give multiple ‘likes’ every day, so tend to dip in only when I post my one for the month. I am happy to hear about multiples in the chat thread though.

GuyBoden

Guru

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Three cheers for @cosmicbike for posting the thread.

From the discussions above are we going to make any "rule" changes.

I'm reasonably open to minor changes, but kind of feel the current (as below) ticks the boxes whilst making it neither too easy, nor too hard.

The rules, such as they are, are as follows:
  • You must complete at least one ride of least 100km (a metric century) in each calendar month. If you miss a month then you are out of the challenge until next year.
  • The 100km must be in a single ride. Breaks for meals, repairs, sightseeing, lollygagging etc. are allowed, but not several completely separate rides.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Multiple 100ks shouldn't be demoralising at all. It's like the old saying "there's always someone faster".

So what if someone else is churning out 100ks, they aren't churning out 100milers. And the 100 mile challenge is still a step gown in difficulty from a RRTY and so on.
And none of us is ever going to be another Mark Beaumont/Steve Abraham/Amanda Coker/[Insert name of insanely-long-challenge rider here] (though feel free to prove me wrong) ... :whistle:

@Sea of vapours and I organise a splendid forum ride from Settle every July. We'll be sure to remind you in case you fancy joining us for the 2018 edition, which might venture into the Forest of Bowland for a change. It will definitely be at least 100 km, but (given the terrain) unlikely to be a full imperial century.

I organise a 200 km ride in the more forgiving terrain of Cheshire every June. For logistical reasons it will start and finish in Manchester city centre in 2018. This year some riders did the full double metric century with me. Other riders (including @GuyBoden) joined us in Cheshire for a shorter loop, but one still well over 100 km.

You would be welcome to join me for these and my other forum rides. These days I make most of them 100+ km so that they qualify for this challenge. I may organise some as two 50 km loops so riders in the half century challenge who don't want to do the full distance could join me for one loop. I'll post an advance notice to you in this thread to try and tempt you to come along. :okay:

Note a minor change this year for ease of tracking. Please create a single post, and edit each month to update your qualifying rides. This reduces the number of pages, and saves us all an awful lot of scrolling through the same stuff over and over.

I think I have to disagree on the adjective 'minor' in the above. I don't dispute the several advantages noted, but it's not a minor change due to the unmentioned disadvantage(s).

The primary disadvantage depends on how you use the forum. I look at 'New posts'. I never look at anything except 'New posts'. I suspect a fair few people do this. Is it the case that an edited post will appear in that list? I think not but happy to be corrected. Assuming that edited posts don't qualify as 'new' for this purpose, I'm never going to see participants' updates unless I go and find the thread and scroll up and down it to see whether people have added a ride for the month. That's a great deal more 'effort', and certainly more time, than simply noticing the thread reappear and clicking on it, which takes me straight to the latest addition. So, actually, having thought about it, I disagree with the 'saves us all an awful lot of scrolling..' thing too.

To me this will make the challenge less interactive as I simply won't see things much and won't have much sense of things happening. Yes, clearly I can go and scroll up and down twenty or so posts each month and see who has completed, but I suspect I'll do so with considerably less alacrity than the current situation, where I tend to see new rides immediately. The same applies to multiple rides being recorded in fact: it's more dynamic with people doing more. Entertaining to see how many 100s @GuyBoden has done in the last week, for example ;-)

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I think I have to disagree on the adjective 'minor' in the above. I don't dispute the several advantages noted, but it's not a minor change due to the unmentioned disadvantage(s).

The primary disadvantage depends on how you use the forum. I look at 'New posts'. I never look at anything except 'New posts'. I suspect a fair few people do this. Is it the case that an edited post will appear in that list? I think not but happy to be corrected. Assuming that edited posts don't qualify as 'new' for this purpose, I'm never going to see participants' updates unless I go and find the thread and scroll up and down it to see whether people have added a ride for the month. That's a great deal more 'effort', and certainly more time, than simply noticing the thread reappear and clicking on it, which takes me straight to the latest addition. So, actually, having thought about it, I disagree with the 'saves us all an awful lot of scrolling..' thing too.

To me this will make the challenge less interactive as I simply won't see things much and won't have much sense of things happening. Yes, clearly I can go and scroll up and down twenty or so posts each month and see who has completed, but I suspect I'll do so with considerably less alacrity than the current situation, where I tend to see new rides immediately. The same applies to multiple rides being recorded in fact: it's more dynamic with people doing more. Entertaining to see how many 100s @GuyBoden has done in the last week, for example ;-)

Fair comment, but from the perspective of keeping track of whose completed a ride for each month, it makes life considerably easier. In this case mine. Though of course it doesn't have to be me that keeps track....

Top Bottom