The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Note a minor change this year for ease of tracking. Please create a single post, and edit each month to update your qualifying rides. This reduces the number of pages, and saves us all an awful lot of scrolling through the same stuff over and over.
Fair comment, but from the perspective of keeping track of whose completed a ride for each month, it makes life considerably easier. In this case mine. Though of course it doesn't have to be me that keeps track....
There's been some discussion on here, sharing the different ways riders in this select group use the 'challenge' thread, and various amendments or alternatives to @cosmicbike 's 2018 instruction post have been suggested.

As an aside, why does anyone need to 'keep track'? Aren't individuals keeping track?

Here's a text that you could use (as a revision - ie made by @cosmicbike ):
"Please create a post for your first qualifying ride, and then edit it each month to add your first qualifying ride of the month. Riders wishing to record more qualifying rides may add further posts."

Happy New Year!:cheers:

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
There's been some discussion on here, sharing the different ways riders in this select group use the 'challenge' thread, and various amendments or alternatives to @cosmicbike 's 2018 instruction post have been suggested.

As an aside, why does anyone need to 'keep track'? Aren't individuals keeping track?

Here's a text that you could use (as a revision - ie made by @cosmicbike ):
"Please create a post for your first qualifying ride, and then edit it each month to add your first qualifying ride of the month. Riders wishing to record more qualifying rides may add further posts."

Happy New Year!:cheers:

I keep track with a Word document, then cut and paste into the thread each month

Katherine

Guru
At the end of my club new year's day ride, at 85km, I had the choice of doing another 15km in the pouring rain on tired legs for a first attempt at a January metric century, or going to the pub with my co riders to celebrate. Well, I'm sorry but.... I went to the pub and the pint of Wainwright was awesome!

I've asked if I can take the B ride out next Sunday, instead of the A, so I can hopefully have another try.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Well that was harder than it should have been. Decided I'd go to Richmond Park today, got there quite quickly, and got home very slowly. Wasn't supposed to be that windy....
That's January in the bag, and as @Dogtrousers has mentioned it, takes my imperial Eddington to 40 since I took up cycling in 2013.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I missed a perfect opportunity today. The wind had dropped here, it was mild, and the sun was shining. Unfortunately, I'd had a very late night, finally getting to sleep at about 04:00. When the alarm went off on my phone I was very groggy and cancelled it rather then doing what I intended to do which was just to snooze it for 15 minutes. I went straight back to sleep and eventually woke up feeling relaxed ...

... at 11:45! Way too late to contemplate doing a metric century, since I want to get out and back in daylight and I like to have a decent pre-ride breakfast with time to let it settle.

Tomorrow will be much windier and it will be a chilly NE wind, but we are supposed to be getting sunshine again so I will try to do my January ride. I'll set multiple alarms to make sure that I get up on time!

Already getting worried that I won't have the time for a 100km ride this month!! Just want a clear, warm day!

So the worry turned to a desire to ride today (I.e. I lied!) The rain cleared earlier than expected and so I popped up to a new Cafe which is about 50km away. Difficult ride out into a headwind but I made it. Bacon roll and some cake delivered almost infeasibly quickly was devoured. Had a nice chat to the owner too, he's only been open about 8 weeks so far but says it's going well. Ride home was largely uneventful apart from being in severe knee pain for the last 20miles or so.

Osprey

Guru
Todays ride was planned to be my first outing for the this years metric century, but with a bitterly cold north easterly wind, I'm ashamed to say I cut it short and bagged another half century instead. Hopefully next weekend will get the challenge underway. Well done to you all who are braving the elements.

Brandane

Legendary Member
That's me off the starting blocks. A very strange day in my cycling history. I don't think I've ever set off to do a metric century and ended up changing bikes half way through! Been looking for something to treat myself to for a while and had a few on the shortlist. Passing a good LBS in Prestwick 30 miles into my ride I decided to take a break and seeing "Sale" signs in the window made it more tempting. I know I should have ridden on by but...... an hour or so later I came out the shop on this for the last 33 miles of the ride (need to go back for my old bike next week).

95911-339698_1_Zoom.jpg

Last one in the shop and they have been discontinued, so got it at a very good price. Very nice to ride. Here's to upping the miles this year!

Ajax Bay

Guru
A propos 'tracking' who's completed each month, why does anyone need to 'keep track'? Aren't individuals keeping track? I look at everyone's post and scan that they have all the months so far elapsed, and I assume others do, but does it matter?
Out on Friday for my Imperial Century effort - in a benign weather window of 4-7 degrees and 8-15kn wind.
Well done to @Sbudge for a New Year's Eve ride/climb of @Sea of vapours (+) proportions.

Last edited:

Katherine

Guru
Todays ride was planned to be my first outing for the this years metric century, but with a bitterly cold north easterly wind, I'm ashamed to say I cut it short and bagged another half century instead. Hopefully next weekend will get the challenge underway. Well done to you all who are braving the elements.
Same as you except it was the icy roads.
Very well done to everyone riding centuries in the recent weather.

A propos 'tracking' who's completed each month, why does anyone need to 'keep track'? Aren't individuals keeping track? I look at everyone's post and scan that they have all the months so far elapsed, and I assume others do, but does it matter?
Out on Friday for my Imperial Century effort - in a benign weather window of 4-7 degrees and 8-15kn wind.
Well done to @Sbudge for a New Year's Eve ride/climb of @Sea of vapours (+) proportions.

Thanks, it was the longest I've ever done by a long way.

GuyBoden

Guru
Second ride of Jan 2018 done, mainly kept to the bigger roads, because the country lanes had too much ice for my liking, so a very slow and careful ride.

I'm updating the one post for all of this year's rides as requested by @cosmicbike's 2018 instructions:
"Please create a single post, and edit each month to update your qualifying rides." :okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom