The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Osprey

Guru
Great to get my January metric century bagged. Took the opportunity of low winds and sunny sky's. Set off up the Neath Valley, over the bleak Hirwaun moorland into a head wind dispite it not being forecast. The mountain pass at Storey Arms in the shadow of Pen y Fan was freezing but that was nothing to how I felt after the 8 mile descent into Brecon. Return leg was down the Swansea valley back to Pontardawe. 110km freezing km's but home, thawed out and happy.

Ajax Bay

Guru
On my 101km yesterday I got my first puncture for a while, mercifully in the seaside sunshine, and broke 2 of my 3 levers before getting the tyre off. I guess they were 3 or 4 years old and had 'done enough', but I've never broken one before.
Another first for me was during my imperial century last Friday. Bowling along on a narrow Devon road at about 90km a Landrover and trailer came the opposite way. Plenty of room for us both but as the trailer passed me a great gobbet of 'farmyard stuff' flew out and plastered my bike (lower part and lower right leg). The nucleus must have scored a bullseye on my cassette because suddenly the 13t -19t sprocket range became inoperable (the chain just skated over them). A stop and a bit of poking out did not improve the situation so I rolled on till I saw a house with a hose in the garden; stopped and knocked. After a second knock with no answer I used the hose to clear the cassette, and am thankful to the absent occupants.

On my 101km yesterday I got my first puncture for a while, mercifully in the seaside sunshine, and broke 2 of my 3 levers before getting the tyre off. I guess they were 3 or 4 years old and had 'done enough', but I've never broken one before.
Another first for me was during my imperial century last Friday. Bowling along on a narrow Devon road at about 90km a Landrover and trailer came the opposite way. Plenty of room for us both but as the trailer passed me a great gobbet of 'farmyard stuff' flew out and plastered my bike (lower part and lower right leg). The nucleus must have scored a bullseye on my cassette because suddenly the 13t -19t sprocket range became inoperable (the chain just skated over them). A stop and a bit of poking out did not improve the situation so I rolled on till I saw a house with a hose in the garden; stopped and knocked. After a second knock with no answer I used the hose to clear the cassette, and am thankful to the absent occupants.

If the tyre was very cold and stiff that wouldn't have helped either. Yuk, no fun on that cassette at all, lucky to find that hose though. Hope the hub is OK.

13 rider

Guru
Go on then I'm back in . Have been debating whether to do the challenge again this year , having done all the challenges last year it seemed like every ride had a milage target wasn't sure I wanted that again this year but what the heck . Imperial century challenge is my main target and this one will be my fall back
Today's ride was 63.8 miles in the rain and snow not exactly pleasant so it needs to count to something !

You by the look of It!! Well done @13 rider

Katherine

Guru
I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 102 km to be precise. :dance::bicycle::rain::cold:^_^

I nearly didn't, several times.
It was today or never as I'm away next weekend.
Tomorrow's rides are cancelled because of the heavy rain /sleet and freezing forecast. Up until last night, today was going to be cold but dry... .Then the forecast had changed to light rain or sleet showers.
I ended up going out in the cold rain for a short ride thinking that I could try and get a metric century in next month but not get a star. Anyway, I kept going, turning back after 23 miles but kept adding loops depending on how I was feeling at the time, which was going from warm enough to cold fingers to cold body to warm enough to cold feet and generally soggy. I couldn't have done it without all the extra layers, decent jacket, winter boots, toe warmers stuck to my socks and the amazing Aldi waterproof overshoes. Very glad that I'd saved my spare gloves for after the coffee stop by which time the other ones were drenched.
When I set off again the cold rain had turned to sleet so all plans for extra loops and going home the scenic way were scrapped and I took the most direct route home. 9 miles later (at 45 miles) going through Culcheth, I was warm enough to take a left instead of a right turn, anticipating that I would only need to add another 4 miles at the end. Which I did but my legs really struggled because I had to go up hill for a bit so I could end wondrously on a mostly free wheel home.

Sorry that was a bit waffley. Last year, I didn't do more than 45 miles last January or February, so I am actually a bit worried about this February already even though I'm now hooked into this challenge.

Also, I normally work in miles and my report follows my train of thoughts. Sorry.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....

Tomorrow's rides are cancelled because of the heavy rain /sleet and freezing forecast. Up until last night, today was going to be cold but dry... .Then the forecast had changed to light rain or sleet showers.
I ended up going out in the cold rain for a short ride thinking that I could try and get a metric century in next month but not get a star. Anyway, I kept going, turning back after 23 miles but kept adding loops depending on how I was feeling at the time, which was going from warm enough to cold fingers to cold body to warm enough to cold feet and generally soggy. I couldn't have done it without all the extra layers, decent jacket, winter boots, toe warmers stuck to my socks and the amazing Aldi waterproof overshoes. Very glad that I'd saved my spare gloves for after the coffee stop by which time the other ones were drenched.
When I set off again the cold rain had turned to sleet so all plans for extra loops and going home the scenic way were scrapped and I took the most direct route home. 9 miles later (at 45 miles) going through Culcheth, I was warm enough to take a left instead of a right turn, anticipating that I would only need to add another 4 miles at the end. Which I did but my legs really struggled because I had to go up hill for a bit so I could end wondrously on a mostly free wheel home.

Sorry that was a bit waffley. Last year, I didn't do more than 45 miles last January or February, so I am actually a bit worried about this February already even though I'm now hooked into this challenge.

Also, I normally work in miles and my report follows my train of thoughts. Sorry.

Well done, tough weather out there today

13 rider

Guru

Well done @Katherine these challenges turn us into nutters :wacko:. I did the spare glove trick yesterday bliss is dry gloves

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Drat - I have only gone and caught another cold! For years I was only catching about one a year but I caught 3 bad ones last year (the last one not too long ago) and now I already have my first of 2018.

It looks like there will be some stress trying to get the January metric century in ... If I recover slowly and the weather stays bad then I might resort to doing my easy but boring main-roads-in-valleys route late in the month. If the weather improves and I feel better then I will tackle something more interesting instead.

Top Bottom