The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I agree with SoV. I'm a New Posts viewer of the forum too so I use this thread exactly the same way.

I wouldn't keep going back to the hundreds of threads that I am interested in to see if anything has changed. When they pop up in New Posts, I skim through them. If I eventually decide not to continue with a thread then I use Ignore Thread to stop it appearing in the future.

How about a hybrid approach? Keep the detailed list at the start of the thread, and post details of each ride later as and when we do it, copying and pasting back into our master post in the first few pages. That would be the opposite way to what many of us are doing now which replicates masses of detail each time. If we just wanted to keep up to date, we would just look at new posts. If we wanted the detail, we could go to the start of the thread for it.

Katherine

Guru
@13 rider How do you keep track of the multiple postings in Half Century Challenge?
We started off editing our original post in the first year but then for the last 2 years you wanted us to update our previous post and then repost it.

What about only reposting our post once a month for both challenges? And then only editing it if you do more than one quallifying ride a month.

Katherine

Guru
Also, for those of you who sometimes miss posts by only useing New Posts, should check their Watched Threads button ( 2 along to the left from New Posts), which will feature anything threads that you have participated in.

You can uncheck these at the top of each thread or check anything that interests you and you want to follow but haven't actually posted in.

I use this just as much as the New Threads button, especially if I'm short of time and only want to read one particular of any of the threads that I follow.

13 rider

Guru
@13 rider How do you keep track of the multiple postings in Half Century Challenge?

We started off editing our original post in the first year but then for the last 2 years you wanted us to update our previous post and then repost it.
What about only reposting our post once a month for both challenges? And then only editing it if you do more than one quallifying ride a month.
Basically I have a tick list and tick of each rider after the first post each month . I then ignore any further posts by that rider

steverob

Guru
I think @Katherine 's idea of posting once a month - then if you happen to do multiple 100k's that month you can edit that post - has a lot of merit. Probably doesn't make it that much easier for @cosmicbike to keep track of compared to doing a new post for everything, but it would keep the thread a lot more organised.

How about @ColinJ 's approach combined with @Katherine's approach.
- First post is the master and that is updated such that it's always up to date and includes all rides, so it ends up looking like what we have had in 2017 but it's the first post for each person and thus easy to find. (So this bit sorts out the ease of tracking aspect.)
- Thereafter, everyone creates a single post per month with new rides completed that month, adding a line by editing that post for any rides beyond one. (This bit keeps the interest up for those who use 'New posts' or 'Watched threads'.)
- For simplicity and to minimise the editing of posts, I'd envisage copying the monthly rides into the 'master post' just once a month.

Overall, that cuts down the eventual number of posts, provides an easy to find summary for everyone of everything they've done, and still makes the challenge thread pop up regularly in both New Posts and Watched Threads. The overhead can be kept down to the need to copy the monthly lines into the master post eleven times in a year. i.e. not a lot of effort at all really.

@ColinJ, if that's early in July I might pop up to ride the railway for the weekend as long as the route takes in Ribblehead for a photo (think we may have discussed this earlier in the year!).

@Sea of vapours, that confuses me more.....I tend to only update once a month for ease due to the multiple rides (and then only when prompted by @13 rider!!)

@ColinJ, if that's early in July I might pop up to ride the railway for the weekend as long as the route takes in Ribblehead for a photo (think we may have discussed this earlier in the year!).

@Sea of vapours, that confuses me more.....I tend to only update once a month for ease due to the multiple rides (and then only when prompted by @13 rider!!)

It confused me slightly too ..... In your case, as described, though, you just have to do a new post with the new ride(s), once a month, and take an extra few seconds to paste the contents of the new post at the bottom of the original (January) post.

Edit: And I meant to say that Colin and I did vaguely discuss the ride /starting/ at Ribblehead. More correctly, I suggested that and Colin said he'd think about it ;-)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I left December late again due to a mixture of being busy with family/work and icy weather. Today was pretty much my last chance, and despite it being very windy and flooding, I had a really enjoyable ride to finish off the year. Although, testing a new saddle today was probably not a wise idea, especially when it took 40 miles to realise that it was not on straight :cycle:

That is the the year done as tomorrow is another busy day, although I will at least try and persuade the kids to ride to the park to stop them destroying the house. Roll on 2018.

A gratuitous shot of the dryer parts today, thank god for a external bottom bracket.

2017-12-30.png

Ajax Bay

Guru
As far as how to post next year's 100km challenge rides, I'll cope with any format, but I do go and look at new posts when they're made so empathise with @Sea of vapours comments regarding that. Having an edited 'master' post augmented by a monthly post for the first/qualifying ride, and edited with other rides that month should make the challenge thread manageable and avoids multiple very long posts (I'm aware that I'm guilty in that respect, but not as 'guilty' as @GuyBoden (brilliant effort through the year)).
May I add a plea (reiterating 'the rules/guidelines') that riders do briefly describe their ride and do not just post date, distance and a link. The itinerary may spark me to go an look at the link; but if just date/distance/link is posted - no. This comes back to why riders are posting in this challenge thread. They know whether they've done 100+km, progressively in each month. And they are sharing that for others to have a look; aren't they? Only a very small amount of effort is required. This is addressed only to those whom the cap fits.
Finally (and very minor), I must admit that I'd prefer to see riders record their rides on this thread in SI units. I use SI units throughout, but when I posted in the imperial century thread (Jan to Sep only), I converted the kilometres and metres to miles and feet: it's an imperial century challenge. And this is a metric century challenge.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
How about using a master post to record the rides, but then use the same thread for a ride report? This way, you get neat admin plus new interesting posts for people to see. Personally I don’t really look at the list of place names that are posted, I look for the story.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
It had to be done because I didn't have to but I still did the extra 2km to make 100km. So if I hadn't have managed 4th Dec (unethically flat) I would still have made it. Now eating nachos and drinking gin. Just look at The Gingerbread Inn at Priddy, what an epic landlord, aka Queen Victoria I think. Made sure it wasn't a flat ride. straight up Blagdon!

Only managed 6097km for the year, I had to go out and do 3km today to make 6k but for the same reasoning I made sure it was an ethical ride of decent quality.

Last edited:
Top Bottom