The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A few of us have taken up the Metric Century A Month challenge again in 2012 and since the original discussion thread seems to have disappeared, I have started this one to take its place.

I propose that the rules of the challenge should be relaxed slightly. It should still involve riding at least one metric century a month for a year, but I think it is unnecessarily restrictive to have to start in January. Why should someone reading this thread now and thinking that they like the idea of the challenge, have to wait 11 months to start? So, my suggestion is - post which month you started in and do another 11 consecutive months from then. Obviously, the 'points competition' must run Jan - Dec or it wouldn't make any sense!

Anyway - I did my first challenge ride in January. I found the ride a bit of a slog, but I had a bunch of forum members to keep me company and spur me on. I'm signed up with some of them to do the Mini-Northwest Passage audax a week on Saturday. That's about 120 km so if all goes according to plan, that will be February taken care of too.

How are the rest of you doing? And does anyone else fancy taking up the challenge now?

Edge705

Last week here just short of the 100k can I claim it:rolleyes: never again a hilly one when snow is forecast I must have spent a mile walking in the snow !:o)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Last week here just short of the 100k can I claim it:rolleyes: never again a hilly one when snow is forecast I must have spent a mile walking in the snow !:o)
I think that morally you certainly can, but technically you can't, so look on it as a good warm-up? :thumbsup:

Let's face it, the main reason for taking up challenges like this is to get us to go out and do more longer rides all year round. You went out and did a tough ride in appalling conditions and you can't reasonably ask more of yourself than that. We aren't pros - we don't get paid for doing this and we have real lives to live!

Yup,
I'm in.

Also made this thread a sticky :thumbsup:
Thanks Ian.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Sounds like a good plan, but I might wait until I've actually dug myself out to do my first one this year before I formally sign up!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Sounds like a good plan, but I might wait until I've actually dug myself out to do my first one this year before I formally sign up!
Ah - and I also propose that in the spirit of 'challenge' - you have to announce your first ride before you do it, otherwise you are playing safe! :whistle:

I want to try and do a metric century a month this year so I have plotted a 106 km (66 mile) route which takes in our usual cafe stop at Country Kitchen in Waddington. I'm aiming to do the ride on Sunday, 22nd January because that gives me 2 weeks to get my legs working again, and a bailout option of the following Sunday if the weather turns out to be awful on the 22nd.
Something like that! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hmmm.

I always have good intentions...:blush:
Hmm, you are located in Lancashire so why don't you come along and join us on the Mini-Northwest Passage audax from Rochdale on Saturday 18th? Quite a few of us are aiming to do it. (120 km)

It's too late to enter by post, but you could ring the organiser and ask if it is okay to enter on the day at event HQ.

(I must confess that if we are getting that frozen rain malarkey on the day, I'd probably go back to bed!)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Ah, just noticed that to keep in the spirit of a "challenge" the first ride should be announced before you do it.

Are we starting from February then, as this thread was started yesterday?
Actually, that restriction is a bit unfair isn't it! I mean - if you had done a 100+ km ride in January and/or one in February already, why shouldn't you count them. Okay, count any rides already done!

Some of us started in January, but I only thought to start this thread yesterday. Use the original ride thread to post a list of your rides. Only make one post there, and just edit that post each time you do another ride.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hmm, you are located in Lancashire so why don't you come along and join us on the Mini-Northwest Passage audax from Rochdale on Saturday 18th? Quite a few of us are aiming to do it. (120 km)

I've been tempted by a couple of forum rides, but I'm away half the weekends and folks staying on the others... I'm more likely to get out on a long ride mid-week! And very out of training at the mo...

But thanks for the encouragement!

potsy

Rambler
Well, I did the forum ride Colin mentions in January, so I think I will be giving the challenge a go.
Looks like I'm available for the Mini North West passage next Saturday, and April is covered by the Century (imperial) ride to Knotty Ash Knott End.
Just need to organise something for March and we are well on the way :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Well, I did the forum ride Colin mentions in January, so I think I will be giving the challenge a go.
Good man!
Looks like I'm available for the Mini North West passage next Saturday, and April is covered by the Century (imperial) ride to Knotty Ash Knott End.
SITD is also in April so we should definitely get one in that month!
Just need to organise something for March and we are well on the way :thumbsup:
I'm hoping to do a 100km forum ride on Saturday, 17th March. I'm not sure where to yet, but I'd prefer to avoid Waddington because we've done it already on the last ride, and will be going there again for the Mini-NWP. I'll think of something a bit different! (Something incredibly fixed-hostile, probably! :whistle:)

potsy

Rambler
Good man!

SITD is also in April so we should definitely get one in that month!

I'm hoping to do a 100km forum ride on Saturday, 17th March. I'm not sure where to yet, but I'd prefer to avoid Waddington because we've done it already on the last ride, and will be going there again for the Mini-NWP. I'll think of something a bit different! (Something incredibly fixed-hostile, probably! :whistle:)

:eek: I might just do 50 laps of Wythy park instead :giggle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I know when I'm not wanted :cry:
My thinking was extremely illogical ... I was thinking that with the 110 km hilly SITD coming up in April, I ought to get used to climbing steep hills again. Now does that really mean going out and riding 100+ mega-hilly km? I mean, if I could ride (say) a hilly 105 km then would I really need to prepare for a hilly 110? :wacko:

Let me rephrase it - a hillier 100 km forum ride which won't be quite as fixed-friendly as the last one or the imperial century forum ride that we will be doing on April 1st! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom