The mid-ride pint - a mixed blessing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sometimes on the mid-week summer evening hooligan ride my buddy and I will stop for a refreshing pint of bitter (non of this Euro-fizz nonsense) at one of the village pubs on our route, usually one that's about 3 miles before the end. It's always a pleasure to sit quietly and enjoy a drink and a yarn but there are downsides - last night I was a little over-dressed so I was sweaty and I got badly chilled, my legs cooled down and felt like lead when we re-started and worst of all, the beer sloshes around inside the stomach and you get reflux. I have to keep some Rennies handy for that when I finish. There's no way around this - sometimes on a warm sunny evening after the stresses of work, a beer stop is too much of a relaxing pleasure to miss, yet you always pay for it.

Last edited:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Luckilly Ive never had problems like that apart from the cooling down.
If anything I find a pint is good fuel for the last leg.

MikeG

Guru
Three miles? That sounds like a trip to the pub by bike, rather than a bike ride with a pub-stop. ;)

Sorry to sound all square, but I just don't think alcohol and riding mix. I would never drink before or during a ride. Mid-ride stops should involve cake, and a cup of tea, and I'd need to be doing around 50 miles before I could justify even that.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Has to be half a Guinness over lunch during a club ride; works a treat and no sloshing - must be all that iron weighing it down! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Has to be half a Guinness over lunch during a club ride; works a treat and no sloshing - must be all that iron weighing it down! :thumbsup:

I bet Guinness is almost the ideal sports energy drink - it's loaded with calories, not to mention the iron and the vitamins and pectin for bowel regularity.

tudor_77

Über Member
Sorry to sound all square, but I just don't think alcohol and riding mix. I would never drink before or during a ride. Mid-ride stops should involve cake, and a cup of tea, and I'd need to be doing around 50 miles before I could justify even that.

I agree completely Mike, I cannot imagine anything worse than drinking alcohol whilst doing a sporting activity. It can't be very good for one's cardio fitness. Complex carbs and water would surely be more appropriate.

U

User169

I bet Guinness is almost the ideal sports energy drink - it's loaded with calories, not to mention the iron and the vitamins and pectin for bowel regularity.

Where does the pectin come from? I'd always thought of that as more a fruit thing.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I agree completely Mike, I cannot imagine anything worse than drinking alcohol whilst doing a sporting activity. It can't be very good for one's cardio fitness. Complex carbs and water would surely be more appropriate.

It doesn't sound like @Globalti is doing it as part of any extensive race training program just a social pint at the end of a social ride. Wouldn't be my first choice mainly because the one and only time I drank a couple of wines at a family members house mid way through a ride I threw up 15 miles up the road on my way home ^_^ Up until that point I felt great and was spinning like a good'un

Top Bottom