The Military Vehicle Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm a big fan of the Champ and the Gypsy. Very cleverly engineered vehicles.
The guy I mentioned earier, who considered the Antar, still has his Gipsy, & a 1956 86" Series 1, that he restored at 16-17 (he's same age as me; 54)

A scanned print, dating back to perhaps 1998 - 2000?
This is at the site of Newmarket Pit
If anyone travels the M62, it was where the big white cold-store is now, near jct 30

There's also a Champ in an adjacent (I'll be charitable) & call it a village (one street)
It's odd, as it's red!!

Plus, a guy that Gary (owner of the Gipsy) above & I both knew owned a Champ

ozboz

Guru
On my ride later, there will be a Green Godess fire engine parked up in a driveway.

I nearly got a Daimler Ferret once as a young man. They weren't that expensive for a while.

Ferrets were made by Alvis , Daimler made Dingo’s ,WW2 jobs , both had similar roles . if it was a Dingo you nearly bought you missed an opportunity to make a few quid !!

Ferrets were really good to drive , straight six engine , pre select g/box , power steering , I was once at an Army surplus place near Leeds , there was one outside it had the
17th 21st Lancers Badge on the Turret ,
37502FB6-F17C-4A7C-94FD-9589C76988F2.jpeg

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Airedales cant march for sheet. Looks like they're about to shout "Hail Hydra!"

I was in the Green Jackets and we had no light armoured support or APC. Landies and elderly Bedford four tonners was all us 'ard as nails infantry lads needed. Hell, if they'd given us anything else we'd have only used it as an excuse to start another fight.

ozboz

Guru
Airedales cant march for sheet. Looks like they're about to shout "Hail Hydra!"

I was in the Green Jackets and we had no light armoured support or APC. Landies and elderly Bedford four tonners was all us 'ard as nails infantry lads needed. Hell, if they'd given us anything else we'd have only used it as an excuse to start another fight.
is that right !
RGJ, I can’t remember which Battalion, but back in 72’ we got called in to give these lads armoured support , two Sarries ,
I think one of the lads I was with might have some pics , I’ll find out and post them ,
the RGJ platoons I was involved with were good lads ,

ozboz

Guru
73CADDE9-29EB-4E5B-9894-390A18B5CCD1.jpeg

This Centurion is near a place called Walton le Dale nr Preston, the Badge is my Old Regt,
14/20th Kings Hussars , I’ve no idea why it is there other than we were a Lancashire Regt,
I never had anything to go with Cents , they were just about being phased out of the British Army when I joined up.

Edit, apparently it’s at a roundabout in Leyland .

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
View attachment 525930

This Centurion is near a place called Walton le Dale nr Preston, the Badge is my Old Regt,
14/20th Kings Hussars , I’ve no idea why it is there other than we were a Lancashire Regt,
I never had anything to go with Cents , they were just about being phased out of the British Army when I joined up.

I drive past that when visiting the in-laws

ozboz

Guru
There used to be a Churchill on the northerly portions of Sheffield, as a memorial, because they were built nearby
Until it disappeared, leaving drag-marks on the banking
Some say, it was stolen for scrap (which would take some doing!), others that it was sold to a restorer

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/107523-churchill-tank-goes-awol-from-chapeltown/

Taken in May 2005

View attachment 525948

View attachment 525949

View attachment 525950

I’m fairly sure Captain Tom was involved with theses in The War

Top Bottom