The Military Vehicle Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not unless he's moved. Southowram, with a clear shot over the town from Beacon Hill.
Ahh!
Okay

And, on a military angle, how can we forget the Harrier that used to be in a field, up near the 'Raggalds' pub? (near Queensbury)

A FC101 (which we always called 1 tonnies) would have to be accompanied by the powered trailer. Go proper off road camping then!
The rotor arm had a bit which would fly out and kill the spark above 3500 revs.
I've only ever seen one powered trailer, & yes they do give it impressive capabilities
As you doubtless know, there are stories of 101's being overturned, descending steeply, then with a sharp-turn, & a still driving trailer pushing the vehicle over

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.

classic33

Leg End Member
Ahh!
Okay

And, on a military angle, how can we forget the Harrier that used to be in a field, up near the 'Raggalds' pub? (near Queensbury)

I've only ever seen one powered trailer, & yes they do give it impressive capabilities
As you doubtless know, there are stories of 101's being overturned, descending steeply, then with a sharp-turn, & a still driving trailer pushing the vehicle over
He's still got at least one tank, Russian I think, round the back & out of sight.

The Pegasus engine went on eBay. The airframe never sold.

classic33

Leg End Member
Wonder if this still applies?

"Comedian Ross Noble revealed on the 3 July 2011 edition of BBC motoring show Top Gear that he owns and operates an FV433. He also stated that the vehicle is exempt from the London congestion charge."

Hicky

Guru
I’d like a lightweight Land Rover, ideally diesel.
There was a German halftrack on someones drive in Wythenshawe near my parents. I never seen it move in 15 years.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've always liked the Russian missile transporter / launchers, something like the MAZ 543. I doubt they're good to own, but they're impressive.
20200525_124306.jpg

And I've always liked the Hagglunds BV206:
Screenshot_20200525-130731_Chrome.jpg

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Not necessarily a vehicle for day to day travelling, but I would love an A-10 Warthog. There should just be enough room in the back garden to store one. :notworthy:

I think one of the Humber SAR teams runs a Hagglund.

Jacksons, near (ex RAF) Finningley, stocks them (1)
Have a look around the main pages at the history/photos
(it was the Bloodhound surface-air missile protective base, for RAF Finningley, hence the trading name of 'The Rocket Site')
https://ljacksonandco.com/categories/hagglund-bv-206-vehicles/

It seems that Bay Search & Rescue have 4 now!!
They had 2, when they 'shadowed' us when I competed in the 'Cross-Bay' Challenge' (1/2 marathon)

https://www.baysearchandrescue.org.uk/

If you go to 'Team' then 'Our Fleet', you'll see them:okay:

And from that memorable day of running over the sands/wading the rivers of Morecambe Bay
After we'd all set off
Senior Management took this, then drove from Flookburgh, round to Hest Bank (just north of Morecambe) & arrived less than 15 minutes before me!

1. Otherwise known as Robin Hood Airport
Interestingly, XH558, was based there during its operational days, so it's fitting that it returned home

I've seen it take off a couple of times there, from High Common Lane, at the southern end of the grounds
Once like this:eek:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og-HOG48o-Y

Last edited:

byegad

Legendary Member
An Austin Champ has been on my 'like to have' list.
I worked with an ex-engineer who'd been in the invasion of Egypt. He had one that had had the governor removed and always insisted it was good for the 'ton'! He said they were so good the army couldn't afford them and so they went to Landrover for a cheaper alternative when they moved entirely off the Willys Jeeps from WW2.

Top Bottom