The mind of a cyclist??...

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Debian, 30 Apr 2010.

1. OP
    OP
    Debian

Debian New Member

Didn't notice what bike it was. She was wearing a white helmet though.

2. GrasB

GrasB Veteran

I tend to migrate to the right when on a cycle path because I'm usually the fastest cyclist so am overtaking everyone else, to me you overtake on the right. Also I'm normally thinking about getting back onto the road & the road will more often than not be on my right hand side.

3. lukesdad

lukesdad Guest

You should always give way to people comming down hill. Common sense say they re the ones who will have the greater diffulculty stopping.

4. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

No, as I understand it, you give way to people (cyclists or drivers) coming up hill, as they have to make more effort (or their engines do) to restart after slowing or stopping.

I don't know if it's written anywhere, but it's one of those rules of road courtesy that a lot of people just don't do any more.

5. GrasB

GrasB Veteran

Etiquette says you give way to those who are going up hill as they're the ones that will struggle more if they have to stop.

6. Arch

Is there an echo in here?

:thumbsup:

7. lukesdad

lukesdad Guest

Rubbish! Its nothing to do with who s got it easiest. Its to do with SAFETY!

8. GrasB

GrasB Veteran

Epic own goal there. If the braking distance really comes into it then the rider going down hill is travelling to fast for the conditions... now what was that about safety?

9. lukesdad

lukesdad Guest

Its got nothing to do with braking distance....As with motor vehciles its about brake failure or, any other component failure for that matter, and you my friend are unsafe if thats the line you take.

10. OP
    OP
    Debian

Debian New Member

Yes, I'm certain this used to be in the Highway Code many moons ago.

11. lukesdad

lukesdad Guest

Get a copy and read it.... You need to !

12. OP
    OP
    Debian

Debian New Member

Like this bit you mean?

Evidence is always useful before putting mouth or fingers into gear I find.

13. Arch

Nice one Debian - TBH I didn't remember reading it, but I remember someone giving me a lift and mentioning it, and it stuck.

14. Arch

If you give way on the assumption, in the absence of evidence to that effect, that the other vehicle is going to have a mechanical failure, no one would ever go anywhere!

15. GrasB

GrasB Veteran

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice