The mind of a cyclist??...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
paddy01 said:
Ignoring the attitude for a moment, it is a trend I've noticed then when on cycle paths / off road routes, an increasing number of people migrate to riding on the right rather than left as you would on the road.
I tend to migrate to the right when on a cycle path because I'm usually the fastest cyclist so am overtaking everyone else, to me you overtake on the right. Also I'm normally thinking about getting back onto the road & the road will more often than not be on my right hand side.

lukesdad

Sh4rkyBloke said:
Also she should have given way to you as you were coming up the hill, IIRC.

Sounds like just another numpty who hasn't got a clue.

You should always give way to people comming down hill. Common sense say they re the ones who will have the greater diffulculty stopping.

Arch

Married to Night Train
No, as I understand it, you give way to people (cyclists or drivers) coming up hill, as they have to make more effort (or their engines do) to restart after slowing or stopping.

I don't know if it's written anywhere, but it's one of those rules of road courtesy that a lot of people just don't do any more.

GrasB

Veteran
lukesdad said:
You should always give way to people comming down hill. Common sense say they re the ones who will have the greater diffulculty stopping.
Etiquette says you give way to those who are going up hill as they're the ones that will struggle more if they have to stop.

lukesdad

GrasB said:
Etiquette says you give way to those who are going up hill as they're the ones that will struggle more if they have to stop.

Rubbish! Its nothing to do with who s got it easiest. Its to do with SAFETY!

GrasB

Veteran
Epic own goal there. If the braking distance really comes into it then the rider going down hill is travelling to fast for the conditions... now what was that about safety?

lukesdad

Its got nothing to do with braking distance....As with motor vehciles its about brake failure or, any other component failure for that matter, and you my friend are unsafe if thats the line you take.

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

GrasB said:

Yes, I'm certain this used to be in the Highway Code many moons ago.

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

lukesdad said:
Get a copy and read it.... You need to !

Like this bit you mean?

Single-track roads. These are only wide enough for one vehicle. They may have special passing places. If you see a vehicle coming towards you, or the driver behind wants to overtake, pull into a passing place on your left, or wait opposite a passing place on your right. Give way to vehicles coming uphill whenever you can. If necessary, reverse until you reach a passing place to let the other vehicle pass. Slow down when passing pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders.

Evidence is always useful before putting mouth or fingers into gear I find.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Nice one Debian - TBH I didn't remember reading it, but I remember someone giving me a lift and mentioning it, and it stuck.

Arch

Married to Night Train
lukesdad said:
Its got nothing to do with braking distance....As with motor vehciles its about brake failure or, any other component failure for that matter, and you my friend are unsafe if thats the line you take.

If you give way on the assumption, in the absence of evidence to that effect, that the other vehicle is going to have a mechanical failure, no one would ever go anywhere!

Top Bottom