The mind of a cyclist??...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Debian

A minor incident today just made me wonder about the thought processes of some people.

I was on the homeward leg of a quick XC / road ride this morning on a gravel road (RB), fairly steep uphill in my direction and about a car's width.

I can see a pedestrian further up the hill walking down towards me, I'm on my left hand side and so is the pedestrian, we're about 200 yds apart. No problem so far.

Then I see a cyclist, a lady as it happens, cycling downhill a bit further up the hill. She's also on my left hand side (her right) and coming down at a reasonably fast pace.

Now then, this lady overtakes the pedestrian and then moves back over to her right hand side which puts her on a collision course with me. She's still about 50 yards ahead of me and I think, "odd but she'll obviously move over to the correct side of the road in a sec". She doesn't! She continues on a head on course with me, forces me to jink across to my right at the last second, she passes me on my left and mouths abuse at me as she goes past! :tongue: :becool:. I didn't actually catch all that she said but it was fairly clear that she thought I should have given way to her?

WTF? :smile: She was on the wrong side of the road and expected me to get out of her way. And this is after she's moved over to her correct side to pass the ped and she then cuts back to the wrong side. I was fully expecting her to pass me on my right as per normal.

As I said at the beginning I do wonder about people sometimes!

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Also she should have given way to you as you were coming up the hill, IIRC.

Sounds like just another numpty who hasn't got a clue.

MLC

Walk from Liverpool Street Station to Aldgate every morning at 8.30 am and you will understand why some people think that acting like that is OK or normal.

There is no help for some people and I doubt whether she even had a clue what she had done but hey there is no such thing as manners, road sense or looking out for anybody other than yourself anymore (correct that there is but it is rare) We seem to be overwhelmed with spoilt people who think we should do exactly as they say regardless of any proper protocol otherwise they she will scweem and scweem until they are sick !

Try not to let it bother you (says he who it has wound up enough to post a rant as well!!)

O my I sound like my dad

paddy01

Ignoring the attitude for a moment, it is a trend I've noticed then when on cycle paths / off road routes, an increasing number of people migrate to riding on the right rather than left as you would on the road.

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

And it's not that I really found it such a big deal, more amusing than annoying in retrospect. Still don't understand it though.

Bman

Guru
I've had this once or twice recently.

I find stopping on the left hand side the best thing to do. I even got an apology the last time ;)

Norry1

Legendary Member
paddy01 said:
Ignoring the attitude for a moment, it is a trend I've noticed then when on cycle paths / off road routes, an increasing number of people migrate to riding on the right rather than left as you would on the road.

I was going to put up a thread on this. I've just started riding and noticed cyclists passing me on my left when going the opposite direction on cyclepaths. I wondered if there was a different rule for cyclists.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Norry1 said:
I was going to put up a thread on this. I've just started riding and noticed cyclists passing me on my left when going the opposite direction on cyclepaths. I wondered if there was a different rule for cyclists.

No, there isn't. It's just a combination of stupidity and unawareness. Some people seem to think that when on a bike, the rules of the road they happily follow when driving don't apply.

Or they don't drive, and they are completely clueless, although they seem to manage to keep left if/when they are on the road.

Top Bottom