The misery of bike cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

musa

Über Member
Mine will be done indoors where it's dry, there is also tea and biscuits close to hand to stop me from bonking :whistle:

Yet to drink tea while on the job ive got shelter so not a problem

Trickedem

Guru
I don't really like cleaning my bike. But this ^^^^^^^^ is who I ride with:smile:
My Van Nicholas is lying in its lair at the moment covered in Ashdown Forest. I will be giving it a very thorough clean tomorrow though.
took cassette and chain off and cleaned with degreaser. Thorough shampoo all over as well bathe bike looks brand new now! Can't wait for the new years day ride.

Buzzinonbikes

Is it reasonable to be worried about spraying all over with things like "muc off" when I don't want to have to regrease hubs and cranks and stuff? I just worry about it soaking through and eating away at the good grease. Maybe that's me. Wish I could find a balance because I do like a clean bike.

wanda2010

Guru
Well I finally got around to washing and degreasing both bikes. It's taken me 6 hours and includes, lube, polish and changing brake blocks/pads on the rear wheel of one. One bike had it's initial wash outdoors. I hadn't realised the tyres had a reflective bit on them, it had been that long since the wheels were last clean :blush::whistle:. The next clean was indoors and the smell of degreaser was heavy on the stairs but that was preferable to cigarette smoke.

Bike number two had front wheel off and washed in the bath, then remainder of bike was put in the bath for a shampoo and rinse.

I'm not able to remove cranks and other bits for a 'proper' clean but I'm very pleased with my efforts. So much so, that I'm taking the underground later to go feed my friend's cat. No bike riding tonight :stop: :laugh:

It was quite therapeutic despite the length of time and I should make an effort to clean them a lot more often :smile:

Crankarm

Guru
Well I cleaned and re-lubed my Kona yesterday evening (I hated every second) in preparation for work today, but it was pishing down early this morning so I drove instead. It rained pretty much all day. But tomorrow is going to be dry (fingers crossed) so I plan to cycle. I really need to get a Rohloff geared bike with belt drive and disc brakes for ultimate low maintenance.

subaqua

What’s the point
to quote Mrs Doyle from the father Ted Xmas episode. Maybe we like the misery .

babywipes are great. and dropping the wheels out is easy to get into the little gaps. I won't be on a clean bike on saturday for the windowes ride tho.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
@wanda2010
Beware....extensive cleaning and fettling draws you in. :thumbsup:

Resist, resist!

On yesterday's club-run I turned-up with the filthiest bike ... comments were passed .... after riding through several 6" deep floods I took it home cleaner than when I arrived! Result. I was happy, the rest looked forward to hours of cleaning.
During the ride one guy said that bike shops like people like me that 'don't care for their bikes', well whilst not pristine it is maintained and well lubed and it's been utterly reliable, runs smoothly and has a new chain fairly regularly. When it does get some TLC it looks almost as good as new despite it's 7 years of all-year round abuse. Contrary to my co-riders comments, the trade get's little of my cash.
Whilst I like to have a shiny bike, I really don't have the time and it doesn't seem to function any the worst for it. They're designed for the outdoors after all.

wanda2010

Guru
@ianrauk
I think you were right about the fettling :whistle:

Changed rear brake blocks/pads on the commuter. Very timely :blush:. Lowered the saddle a tad (more) but will raise it a titch after my knees complained earlier this morning. Tweaked the handlebars. Put spoke reflectors on all spokes on both wheels.

Step away from the bike Wanda :rolleyes: :stop:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I cringe when I say I do this after every ride on my good bikes, I do it once a week with my commuter... you know those obsessive weirdos people whisper about, I'm that person :cry:

Lightweight.

My road bikes are cleaned after every ride, same with MTB and the commuter, thats cleaned after every wet ride. I think me and inrauk have the CC title of OCD

Top Bottom