The misery of bike cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Cleaning bikes = shite.

Outside at this time of year. Some combination of cold/wet/dark. So it generally doesn't get done outside. Mudguards get in the effin way - crank NEVER gets properly clean.

That means it's generally done inside the garage, at least finished off there anyway.

I hate taking stuff off (crank/bb/brakes), so I don't.

Probably every month or so - a clean with water and car wax, then re-lube the chain, spray bike liberally with GT85.

Other times - as and when needed. wipe off dry crud, spray with GT85. Leave a minute. Wipe off. Re-apply GT85. Clean and re-lube chain if needed.

Cleaning is the biggest downer for cycle commuting for me.

Crankarm

Guru
Cleaning bikes = s***e.

Outside at this time of year. Some combination of cold/wet/dark. So it generally doesn't get done outside. Mudguards get in the effin way - crank NEVER gets properly clean.

That means it's generally done inside the garage, at least finished off there anyway.

I hate taking stuff off (crank/bb/brakes), so I don't.

Probably every month or so - a clean with water and car wax, then re-lube the chain, spray bike liberally with GT85.

Other times - as and when needed. wipe off dry crud, spray with GT85. Leave a minute. Wipe off. Re-apply GT85. Clean and re-lube chain if needed.

Cleaning is the biggest downer for cycle commuting for me.

+1.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
Did aa wheels off clean today, washed all the horrible gray/gritty moil (mud and oil) off the cassette, chain rings and chain, washed out the insides of the mudguards etc. etc.

Then went for a ride 'cause the bike looked so nice. What a dipstick. It's all dirty again now!:headshake:

wanda2010

Guru
Was aiming to clean the bikes outside but it's raining (there's a surprise), so I'll take the wheels off and clean all parts in the bath. What could possibly go wrong?

PS: I live in a flat so tend to bike wash outdoors.

Manonabike

Über Member
I don't particularly enjoy cleaning the bikes but I hate more riding a dirty bike so I do it.

I hate cleaning the chain or just drying it after a wet ride to prevent rust. If I'm wet then getting in the shower is my first priority, not messing about with the chain :sad:

Crankarm

Guru
Was aiming to clean the bikes outside but it's raining (there's a surprise), so I'll take the wheels off and clean all parts in the bath. What could possibly go wrong?

skins-bike-bath-small-30628[1].jpg

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

I do that all the time. Once or twice a week.

musa

Über Member
Just bought some car shampoo from halfrauds (not to use washing up liquid anymore) . Its rained on my commute home but i have the urge to clean

Best now than 3am

Top Bottom