The misery of bike cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
The worst thing for me about cycling in all weathers on country lanes is having to clean my bike afterwards. It's an utterly miserable experience, which ends in me covered in filth and the bike never properly clean.

Does anyone enjoy it?
Does anyone have any tips?
Does anyone wish they lived in sunnier climes?

Google 'Mick's tips'.

compo

Veteran
I just stick the bike on the workstand, remove the wheels to make the frame bits more accessible and use a hose pipe with a brush on the end. This is very gentle and gives a thorough wash without risk to bearings or bottom bracket. Then refit the wheels and wash them in the same way. Wipe the frame down and apply a nice coat of MER polish and shine it up. Final job, not counting lubing the chain and cables etc, is to use a couple of baby wipes to clean the white logos on the tyres and wheels. I hate it when the bike is clean and they are dirty!

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Upside down wheels of, and get it looking as new again in no time at all, as for getting yourself covered in muck i always use plenty of cloths, i think i actually enjoy cleaning bike, a senes of satisfaction.
Ilike riding a clean bike^_^

carolonabike

I have to say I don't particularly enjoy cleaning since I'm a bit of a wus and don't like getting oil on my hands (even though I wear gloves) but I hate being on a dirty bike. I'm less fussy about my commuter bike which is going to spend most of it's time looking grubby to a greater or lesser extent but I don't like going out on my 'best' bike if it's anything less than sparkling.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have one of these specially for bike cleaning:

130332.jpg

Dipped in a bucket of hot water with car shampoo it's easy to slosh lots of water over the bike, the bristles get into all the nooks and crannies including between the cogs and spokes and it's soft enough not to scratch the paint.

The only downside is that if your cassette is oily the brush picks up oil and spreads it to the rest of the bike; I keep mine pretty clean and dry.

Use car shampoo; it contains wax whereas dishwash liquid contains salt as a thickener.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I'm less fussy about my commuter bike which is going to spend most of it's time looking grubby to a greater or lesser extent but I don't like going out on my 'best' bike if it's anything less than sparkling.

In winter, most of my cycling is commuting, so I ensure she gets a good clean n lube at the weekend. A dirty bike bike feels sluggish.

Peteaud

Veteran
Sour power and a wookies fist for the frame.
Brush for the wheels
Finish with Zaino Z8 on the frame.

Enjoy getting it spotless, but not in this rain / damp weather.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm thinking of getting a kids SuperSoaker... them big high pressure water pistols.

But what i tend to do at the moment is leave the bike to dry, then put on a pair of old fleece gloves and just rub the bike clean... then bung the gloves in the wash ready for next time.

Top Bottom