The modern driving test.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
You always could. Although feeding the wheel was recommended and taught by instructors candidates never failed tests if they didn't do it provided they satisfied the examiner they had full control of the steering.

I stand corrected. I always thought it counted as a minor fault, and therefore 3 events of hand crossing would be a failure.

Hicky

Guru
Some people could do with realising doing a 3 point turn on a major rd is bad form, pull into a side st and don’t block the odles of cars now honking at your dimwit actions!

Jameshow

Veteran
My Chinese neighbour asked me to take her out for some driving practice prior to her upcoming test. She is only going for an automatic licence, and had a full licence in China. She is using her father in law's car for the test, and also practice sessions.

I sat my car test in 1986, but since then have done several other tests including HGV 1 and 2, and instructors driving test. But nothing since 2006. So I was taking her out and getting her to do mirror checks as I was taught - when moving off, turning, speeding up, slowing down, and 6 to 10 times per minute in regular driving. Basically the old mirror-signal-manoeuvre routine. Had her using handbrake whenever she stopped for any longer than a brief pause; using the handbrake whenever moving the gear selector between drive and reverse; and not crossing hands on the steering wheel. Manoeuvres - doing emergency stop; 3 point turn; reversing around a corner, parallel parking.

I did tell her she needed to get a proper instructor involved to teach her any more up to date stuff that might be in the test, and to take her round possible test routes.

Last week she finally got a properly qualified instructor to take her out (for £35 per hour using neighbour's car!!) and it seems I've been wasting my time. Apparently you can now cross your hands on the steering wheel all you like; no need to check mirrors unless turning; no need to use handbrake unless parked; and the test no longer requires an emergency stop, 3 point turn, or reversing round a corner. So that explains a lot - no wonder there are so many crap drivers on the road. Still doesn't explain why fat old blokes in BMW's are worse than anyone else though!

I don't dare but would love to msg this to my son who past last week!!

gbb

Legendary Member
Although it must have stuck with me as everyone seems to notice that I don't actually use the fancy screen on the dash for reversing, preferring my mirrors. Something else I don't really get, why do they give you a camera and display screen for something you can see out your window? :scratch:

I have a reversing camera, its useful but I prefer looking out windows you get a much wider area of vision. The camera has its uses, momentarily I will look at it, good to make sure nothing is right behind you, a kid, cat dog, whatever but I find it easier to just look out the windows.
Camera is also useful for gauging distance, something I was never particually good at .

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Is it me or do newer cars have small rear windows compared to what they had years ago ? test drove a few before mrs ck settled on what we have now and i can see why they would have a reversing camera in them

Alex321

Veteran
Although it must have stuck with me as everyone seems to notice that I don't actually use the fancy screen on the dash for reversing, preferring my mirrors. Something else I don't really get, why do they give you a camera and display screen for something you can see out your window? :scratch:

I have always found it very hard to judge just how close to something behind me I am when reversing, whether using mirror or looking over my shoulder. I don't have a reversing camera in any of our vehicles, but do have the "beep" type reversing sensors in both my car and the camper van, and find them invaluable.

A camera also gives you a better chance of seeing a small child or animal behind you.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
And small lights !

indeed, i was following one of those massive range rovers yesterday and the brake lights were that small they were pointless, it did have one above the rear window but i still count them as a secondary light

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
The not looking in the mirrors could explain why cyclists get knocked off by cars suddenly turn in front of them.

Exactly this. Checking mirrors frequently is all about being aware of what other halfwits might be doing, and at the most unexpected of times. E.g. overtaking or undertaking when it's not safe or expected. Also doing shoulder checks (life savers) may not always be necessary but it's a good habit to keep up. I often see people on the DCW merge out into lane 2 and nearly collide with an overtaking car that was in their blindspot.

The OPs post has surprised me a lot; it does explain a lot. My friend learned to drive later in life (about 6 years ago when in his mid 30's) and had learned in a diesel so thought he didn't need any gas when pulling away. He got a petrol Aygo after passing and was always stalling it. So much so that I had to give him lessons in a car park AFTER he had passed his test and bought his new car.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Some people could do with realising doing a 3 point turn on a major rd is bad form, pull into a side st and don’t block the odles of cars now honking at your dimwit actions!

didn't they ditch the 3 point turn last century in favour of a turn in the road that isn't limited to three manoeuvres?

mustang1

Legendary Member
I don't believe it (so I googled the emergency stop - WOW! @Brandane is right! I cannot believe it. That's ridiculous! I wonder if thts because cars are coming out with auto brakes feature (thank you mercedes benz for bringing out technology that other car manufacturers start bringing out 10 years later). Anyway, still ridiculous.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
didn't they ditch the 3 point turn last century in favour of a turn in the road that isn't limited to three manoeuvres?

I think the words used by the examiner were something like "turn the car to face in the opposite direction, using forward and reverse gears", so technically not a 3 point turn, but you were expected to do it in as few moves as possible, depending on the width of the road. But even that has now been done away with, so no more being asked to turn the car to face in the opposite direction, using forward and reverse gears.

I think the words used by the examiner were something like "turn the car to face in the opposite direction, using forward and reverse gears", so technically not a 3 point turn, but you were expected to do it in as few moves as possible, depending on the width of the road. But even that has now been done away with, so no more being asked to turn the car to face in the opposite direction, using forward and reverse gears.

In a one way street ? :whistle:

Top Bottom