The modern driving test.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
indeed, i was following one of those massive range rovers yesterday and the brake lights were that small they were pointless, it did have one above the rear window but i still count them as a secondary light

Many are leds now - smaller, as bright as the law allows and easily as visible, if not more so, than 'traditional' rear lights.

Same with led headlights, our car has two tiny projectors. The difference they make is stunning. Bright white not dingy yellow, and with very defined edges to the beam instead of fuzzy.

The only downside is they make our car's cornering lights, which have old fashioned bulbs in, look murky in comparison.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
didn't they ditch the 3 point turn last century in favour of a turn in the road that isn't limited to three manoeuvres?

Not sure when they ditched it, but, not sure it was ever officially a "three point turn". I took my (car) test in 1964, and, as I remember it, the manoeuvre was termed something along the lines of "turn vehicle around using forward and reverse gears", I am not aware that you had to "do it in 3", although, in my area at least, the chosen location on the test route(s) usually made this quite "do-able".

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I don't believe it (so I googled the emergency stop - WOW! @Brandane is right! I cannot believe it. That's ridiculous! I wonder if thts because cars are coming out with auto brakes feature (thank you mercedes benz for bringing out technology that other car manufacturers start bringing out 10 years later). Anyway, still ridiculous.

I can assure you that the emergency stop was a complete waste of time (And tyres and brakes). You were given a warning that the instrutor / examiner was going to tap on the dashboard and you should stop as quickly and safely as possible. That is NOT a real emergency nor is it anything like it. An emergency jumps at you out of the blue and is dealt with by the speed of your reactions. It is something that can never really be taught.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
It was turn in the road when I was learning in 1997. My instructor said you can use more than 3 if necessary. I think it was paraphrased as 3 point turn because most of the roads deemed suitable for that maneuver could be done in 3. But if it took you 7 or 9 you'd likely pick up a fault

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It was turn in the road when I was learning in 1997. My instructor said you can use more than 3 if necessary. I think it was paraphrased as 3 point turn because most of the roads deemed suitable for that maneuver could be done in 3. But if it took you 7 or 9 you'd likely pick up a fault

I knew a chap who had a Triumph Herald and he said he could probably have done a u-ey rather than a 3 point turn, such was its amazing turning circle - which I can vouch for having owned a Vitesse (the souped up version). He wisely decided to do it properly rather than trying to be a smart arse.

As an aside, I believe they don't officially say "3 point turn" in case you have a long wheelbase landy or whatever which doesn't have a great good circle

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Not sure when they ditched it, but, not sure it was ever officially a "three point turn".
It never was, you were asked to "Turn the vehicle to face the other direction using forward and reverse gears". It became known as a three point turn because most cars were capable of completing the manouvre in three movements. Take your test in an extended Cadillac and you might reach double figures.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I can assure you that the emergency stop was a complete waste of time (And tyres and brakes). You were given a warning that the instructor / examiner was going to tap on the dashboard and you should stop as quickly and safely as possible. That is NOT a real emergency nor is it anything like it. An emergency jumps at you out of the blue and is dealt with by the speed of your reactions. It is something that can never really be taught.

Was it not about ensuring that you retained control of the car during heavy braking? Or that you understood how hard you can brake without the tyres skidding?

Certainly for my test the instructor waited until we got to the frostiest bit of road on the route before he tapped the dashboard with his clipboard. But obviously those conditions are not normally available on a test.

icowden

Veteran
Quite - my daughter didn't know what a three point turn, and handbrake rarely used. Also with a modern car, it's controlling the clutch as well, so she's finding it a little harer in the Aygo, as the instructor's car doesn't need 'gas'.
A modern car doesn't have a clutch... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I drove a van with no rear window for years so only side mirrors and no rear warning signals either when reversing.
My current car has a rear window and mirror but I hardly ever use the inside mirror so am always aware of anything like a cyclist in my passenger side.
The motorhomes I had later had virtually no rear window either nor reversing sensors or camera.

Slick

Guru
I have always found it very hard to judge just how close to something behind me I am when reversing, whether using mirror or looking over my shoulder. I don't have a reversing camera in any of our vehicles, but do have the "beep" type reversing sensors in both my car and the camper van, and find them invaluable.

A camera also gives you a better chance of seeing a small child or animal behind you.

I honestly don't believe that, it's such a small window I believe it is far safer to be more aware of your entire surroundings rather than concentrating on such a small area. I actually think that's quite dangerous. As for judging distances, it might be because of my HGV training but I consider being able to judge distances as a pretty standard requirement when driving. Just mu own opinion and experiences.

Top Bottom