The modern driving test.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
My Chinese neighbour asked me to take her out for some driving practice prior to her upcoming test. She is only going for an automatic licence, and had a full licence in China. She is using her father in law's car for the test, and also practice sessions.

I sat my car test in 1986, but since then have done several other tests including HGV 1 and 2, and instructors driving test. But nothing since 2006. So I was taking her out and getting her to do mirror checks as I was taught - when moving off, turning, speeding up, slowing down, and 6 to 10 times per minute in regular driving. Basically the old mirror-signal-manoeuvre routine. Had her using handbrake whenever she stopped for any longer than a brief pause; using the handbrake whenever moving the gear selector between drive and reverse; and not crossing hands on the steering wheel. Manoeuvres - doing emergency stop; 3 point turn; reversing around a corner, parallel parking.

I did tell her she needed to get a proper instructor involved to teach her any more up to date stuff that might be in the test, and to take her round possible test routes.

Last week she finally got a properly qualified instructor to take her out (for £35 per hour using neighbour's car!!) and it seems I've been wasting my time. Apparently you can now cross your hands on the steering wheel all you like; no need to check mirrors unless turning; no need to use handbrake unless parked; and the test no longer requires an emergency stop, 3 point turn, or reversing round a corner. So that explains a lot - no wonder there are so many crap drivers on the road. Still doesn't explain why fat old blokes in BMW's are worse than anyone else though!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Quite - my daughter didn't know what a three point turn, and handbrake rarely used. Also with a modern car, it's controlling the clutch as well, so she's finding it a little harer in the Aygo, as the instructor's car doesn't need 'gas'.

They have to be able to part front or reverse into a parking space, and parallel park. It's probably why you see so many poor drivers !

Slick

Guru
Although it must have stuck with me as everyone seems to notice that I don't actually use the fancy screen on the dash for reversing, preferring my mirrors. Something else I don't really get, why do they give you a camera and display screen for something you can see out your window? :scratch:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I use the camera on mine car for nearing walls etc, as, being a saloon, there is an awful lot of car you can't see. MrsF has 360 and we play the game of getting bang in the middle of the parking space in one 'go' (after I've used my head and mirrors).

People do not realise that a positioning and use of mirrors, proper hand positions on steering wheel, car seat angle and position etc goes towards safety as well as comfort.

Everyday I see drivers turning their heads left and right quite away repeatedly when they can do all these with their eyes with less head movements. Clearly some do not know how to align their side and rear view mirrors and reduce blind spots and make judgements more accurately. Occasionally I see chest inches away from the steering wheel. How did they pass in the first place?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Only the other day I was thinking I should try to eliminate all the bad driving habits I've got into over the years. Interesting that crossing hands is no longer one of them. I presume the near ubiquity of power-steering means that you're less likely to have the wheel torn out of your hand on hitting a pothole.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The test obviously much more thorough when I did mine as it qualified me to drive a minibus, tow a heavy trailer and drive a 7.5 tonner

^_^

People do not realise that a positioning and use of mirrors, proper hand positions on steering wheel, car seat angle and position etc goes towards safety as well as comfort.

Everyday I see drivers turning their heads left and right quite away repeatedly when they can do all these with their eyes with less head movements. Clearly some do not know how to align their side and rear view mirrors and reduce blind spots and make judgements more accurately. Occasionally I see chest inches away from the steering wheel. How did they pass in the first place?

If you're not moving your head you're not seeing what's in your blind spots ?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Apparently you can now cross your hands on the steering wheel all you like;
You always could. Although feeding the wheel was recommended and taught by instructors candidates never failed tests if they didn't do it provided they satisfied the examiner they had full control of the steering.

Reversing manouvres still figure too and the emergency stop was a complete waste of time because it in no way ever replicated a real emergency. All it did was knacker the poor instructors brakes and tyres.

You'd be amazed at how much an pupil can mis-remember what was said to them during a lesson or a test.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-test/what-happens-during-test

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Examiners at the local test centre find the road markings hard to understand, and are wanting a yellow box painting at the junction.
There's never been a yellow box at that junction before, and the road markings are the same as forty years ago. Renewed over the years though.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I often wonder if many people have had lessons never mind tests

I have never had a driving lesson - unless you count sitting on my father's knee at age 10 (approx) driving round Preston NE's carpark.
I do have a full motorcycle and car licence, including all the stuff that's now restricted.

Top Bottom