The modern driving test.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Thanks
I'd not taken much notice, as it didn't affect me
(& daughter was unlikely to want to tow)

This is why, if you are looking at ads for motor caravans/campervans nowadays, they all specify whether it is under 3,500Kg (quite a few aren't).

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
My Chinese neighbour asked me to take her out for some driving practice prior to her upcoming test. She is only going for an automatic licence, and had a full licence in China. She is using her father in law's car for the test, and also practice sessions.

I sat my car test in 1986, but since then have done several other tests including HGV 1 and 2, and instructors driving test. But nothing since 2006. So I was taking her out and getting her to do mirror checks as I was taught - when moving off, turning, speeding up, slowing down, and 6 to 10 times per minute in regular driving. Basically the old mirror-signal-manoeuvre routine. Had her using handbrake whenever she stopped for any longer than a brief pause; using the handbrake whenever moving the gear selector between drive and reverse; and not crossing hands on the steering wheel. Manoeuvres - doing emergency stop; 3 point turn; reversing around a corner, parallel parking.

I did tell her she needed to get a proper instructor involved to teach her any more up to date stuff that might be in the test, and to take her round possible test routes.

Last week she finally got a properly qualified instructor to take her out (for £35 per hour using neighbour's car!!) and it seems I've been wasting my time. Apparently you can now cross your hands on the steering wheel all you like; no need to check mirrors unless turning; no need to use handbrake unless parked; and the test no longer requires an emergency stop, 3 point turn, or reversing round a corner. So that explains a lot - no wonder there are so many crap drivers on the road. Still doesn't explain why fat old blokes in BMW's are worse than anyone else though!

Much to my amazement, she went and sat her test on Tuesday...... and PASSED! 😃.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The not crossing hands thing used to be garbage but, since I passed my test,has become more relevant. The reason is airbags. If the driver's airbag goes off when cornering, you don't want your hand or arm between the bag and your face. It's the difference between serious facial injuries and slight abrasion.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Having renewed my licence online for 70+ I am no longer licenced to drive anything coded C or D. I could perhaps have retained those if I'd sent off a written form, but it would have been hassle for no practical gain.

...... the test no longer requires an emergency stop, 3 point turn, or reversing round a corner.....

That couldn't be true so I looked it up and sure it's not there: https://www.gov.uk/driving-test/what-happens-during-test

This is the only mention of reversing, there is no mention of an emergency stop or 3 point turn.

Reversing the vehicle
  • parallel park at the side of the road
  • park in a parking bay - either by driving in and reversing out, or reversing in and driving out (the examiner will tell you which you have to do)
  • pull up on the right-hand side of the road, reverse for around 2 car lengths, and rejoin the traffic

What's the story now, with regard to hill-starts/handbrake appliance/stalls??

All of the modern electronic gizmos, must make it awkward to practice, I know some can be turned off, in certain cars

Has the driving test being amended to take those factors into account?
Surely some will own (or have access to) vehicles without those items, or is there a separate class for 'old school' cars??

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You can use a car with an EPB. This means you can pass a test without knowing how to do a real hill start. A minority of new cars have real handbrakes now.

Alex321

Veteran
That couldn't be true so I looked it up and sure it's not there: https://www.gov.uk/driving-test/what-happens-during-test

This is the only mention of reversing, there is no mention of an emergency stop or 3 point turn.

Reversing the vehicle
  • parallel park at the side of the road
  • park in a parking bay - either by driving in and reversing out, or reversing in and driving out (the examiner will tell you which you have to do)
  • pull up on the right-hand side of the road, reverse for around 2 car lengths, and rejoin the traffic

It does say on that page "You might also be required to carry out an emergency stop". That is just after the Pulling over at the side of the road bit.

It does say on that page "You might also be required to carry out an emergency stop". That is just after the Pulling over at the side of the road bit.

I've missed that then. I remember practicing emergency stops when learning, can't remember doing one in the test.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
What's the story now, with regard to hill-starts/handbrake appliance/stalls??

I was wondering that. For example with my car, you've got hill assist and e-brake that comes on as soon as you shut off the engine. So the only real need for the handbrake button is to release when you first start the car. You can "drive through" the e-brake and it'll release, but you're not supposed to as it's bad for the car.

As for motorcycle tests, I was able to do Direct Access Scheme because I was 32 at the time. But it is a pain for younger riders.
When I was on a motorcycle forum, it was suggested that one test would be enough and then the riders age should act as the limiting factor i.e. you pass the test on a 125 at 17, can get up to a 45hp bike at 19, then any bike once you're 21.

As long as the initial test is robust enough (which I thought it was, and there were 2 practical tests) then I don't think it's a problem. The majority of RTAs I assume are not related to someone grabbing a handful of a new 1000cc machine, but are more likely inexperience, stupidity, showing off, excessive speed (which is of course controllable with your right hand).

Drago

Legendary Member
Interesting you mention speed and showing off.

An incident recently not far from here where some young show off was going a bit quick in a Porsche and crashed into an Indian restaurant.

The papers were full of wailing and gnashing of teeth at the high powered sports car, while completely overlooking the fact that that it was a 60mpg crash and my gears old Metro 1.0 automatic could do 60. That it was a high powered sports car was utterly irrelevant to the physics of the incident.

I've been riding motorbikes for 37 years and not had an off. Were I to get into a sticky situation on the road on a bike I'd far rather do so on a big bike with massive brakes and handling and stability to spare, than be in the same situation on a CG125 which is on the ragged edge of its brakes and handling at the national speed limit.

Most incidents caused or brought by excessive speed are at velocities that very mundane cars or bikes can easily achieve.

D

Deleted member 26715

Since 1997, Cat B allows up to 3,500Kg plus trailer of up to 750Kg, or more if the combined weight of vehicle and trailer is less than 3,500Kg.
From the Caravan club website,
"If you passed your car test before pre 1997, B+E was applied to your licence by default. If you passed your car test after 1 Jan 1997, B+E category is on your driver record held at DVLA but will not be applied to your licence until updating an address or upon a 10 year renewal."
The requirement for an additional test has been wihdrawn
Much to my amazement, she went and sat her test on Tuesday...... and PASSED! 😃.
Your mistake was trying to teach her to drive, that is not the name of the game, the game is to teach them to pass their test, whether they can drive & capable of being on the road is irrelevant.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The car my daughter is learning in has hill start and a clutch assist of sorts - you just let go of the clutch and press the go pedal - no learning the bite point. She struggles when she practices in the Aygo, despite it being a light car to drive. Her test is next week I think !

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Interesting you mention speed and showing off.

An incident recently not far from here where some young show off was going a bit quick in a Porsche and crashed into an Indian restaurant.

The papers were full of wailing and gnashing of teeth at the high powered sports car, while completely overlooking the fact that that it was a 60mpg crash and my gears old Metro 1.0 automatic could do 60. That it was a high powered sports car was utterly irrelevant to the physics of the incident.

I've been riding motorbikes for 37 years and not had an off. Were I to get into a sticky situation on the road on a bike I'd far rather do so on a big bike with massive brakes and handling and stability to spare, than be in the same situation on a CG125 which is on the ragged edge of its brakes and handling at the national speed limit.

Most incidents caused or brought by excessive speed are at velocities that very mundane cars or bikes can easily achieve.

However it is quite easy for an inexperienced and / or foolish person to lose control of a high powered vehicle (rear wheel drive especially) at a modest speed just by booting it.

I have witnessed a Morgan driven at a sub-30mph town-appropriate speed spinning the rear wheels on a wet road and going up the pavement arse first. I don't known if he was showing off or if he just slightly overdid it in an unforgiving car, as he was pootling along quite sensibly up to that point. There are a plethora of videos of people clearly showing off but at modest speeds spinning Ferraris / Lambos and various muscle cars.

Top Bottom