The modern trend for high drop bars.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Yeah wiggins was probably a bad example as he's so tall.
s5.jpg
ru_roadbikes.png
equipment-2274.jpg
Cervelo and Felt are clearly catalogue pics. The Triban I would guess was too big for the owner hence lower saddle height. Stem plonked on top of a 40mm stack doesn't help the look either.

fossala

Guru
I tend to have my handlebars around level with my seatpost, maybe a little lower. That way it's comftable for long rides. I then use the drops to get in an "aero" position, like their intentions.

OP
OP
SS Retro

SS Retro

Yes, but you're not a proper cyclist if you don't have drops. Some people who use drops would undoubtedly be better suited to flats but peer pressure is a wonderful thing :s
As well in the days of quill stems you couldn't go to high but with a lot of modern road bikes you do get excessively long steerer tubes that of course you can cut down but it seems many dont.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The only trend I observe is one of people buying new bikes in a rush and ending up with the wrong bike for their needs or the right bike, but in the wrong size and then having to bodge it to get it into a state they can ride it further than round the block. A 5 minute scope around the forums is evidence in itself.

So doesn't that prove they sell them like that?

All it proves is the seat can be put in that position! :wacko: Pretty much everyone who buys said bike will have the saddle in a unique to them location.

Another problem with cycling is that it's very elitest. It's kind of, you're one of us or you're the worst thing to walk the world.

Are you for real?

OP
OP
SS Retro

SS Retro

The only trend I observe is one of people buying new bikes in a rush and ending up with the wrong bike for their needs or the right bike, but in the wrong size and then having to bodge it to get it into a state they can ride it further than round the block. A 5 minute scope around the forums is evidence in itself.
Not going to argue with that I am far to elitist!:laugh:
Would be interesting to see how many people come out of a professional bike fit with the bars higher than the saddle?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I wonder if there's a bit of ''happy clock faces'' going on - you know those watches set to 10 past 10 which are often only set to the right time when you buy one. Perhaps the appearance of a long seat post towering over the top tube looks extreme on its own, particularly when there appears to be a sizeable percentage of riders coming from an MTB or hybrid background.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Not going to argue with that I am far to elitist!:laugh:
Would be interesting to see how many people come out of a professional bike fit with the bars higher than the saddle?

That would depend on what they are getting the fit for and how 'professional' the fitter is. A true professional would fit you to match your fitness levels, flexibility and riding goals. They would also throw in an explanation of how to alter things should any of these 3 factors change.

There are fits that work to a formula and result in a setup that you may have to train or grow into and you may never get there. Then there are fits that actually match the person as they are at that point in time.

snailracer

Über Member
With the advent of brifters, I reckon riders spend more time on the hoods than they used to. Previously, more time was spent on the tops, because with downtube shifters it was more convenient to change gear from the tops than the hoods. As the hoods are further forward than the tops, all things being equal, modern brifter-equipped bikes SHOULD have bars higher than vintage bikes, because the added reach to the hoods need to be offset by added height in order to get the same body position.

GrasB

Veteran
With the advent of brifters, I reckon riders spend more time on the hoods than they used to. Previously, more time was spent on the tops, because with downtube shifters it was more convenient to change gear from the tops than the hoods. As the hoods are further forward than the tops, all things being equal, modern brifter-equipped bikes SHOULD have bars higher than vintage bikes, because the added reach to the hoods need to be offset by added height in order to get the same body position.
This and also current frame/fit fashion seems to be 'long & low', there are some interesting advantages to this, one of which is minimising knee/elbow overlap when deep in the drops. The reason for this advantage is that for the same torso position you need higher bars which keeps your elbows further away from your knees while maintain a good aero shape.

zizou

Veteran
A modern trend?

coppi_bianco_e_nero_2.jpg

001bd9d9.jpg

Obviously bike geometry has changed somewhat with compact frames these days but there is a fashion/trend to 'slam the stem'. This can be effective in terms of aerodynamics (etc) but many of people who do it end up in a position where they have straight arms which is daft and for them ends up more about following fashion over function.

snailracer

Über Member
A modern trend?
Obviously bike geometry has changed somewhat with compact frames these days but there is a fashion/trend to 'slam the stem'. This can be effective in terms of aerodynamics (etc) but many of people who do it end up in a position where they have straight arms which is daft and for them ends up more about following fashion over function.
The OP was suggesting high drop bars being a modern trend. Those vintage pics show low bars on vintage bikes, which supports the OP's claim, no?

S1mon

That would depend on what they are getting the fit for and how 'professional' the fitter is. A true professional would fit you to match your fitness levels, flexibility and riding goals. They would also throw in an explanation of how to alter things should any of these 3 factors change.

There are fits that work to a formula and result in a setup that you may have to train or grow into and you may never get there. Then there are fits that actually match the person as they are at that point in time.

yes i agree bought my bike with the fit part of the deal now 2 years on i ride totally different (loss of beer gut) and the shop did a free tweak of my position seat up a bit etc so in time we change how we ride so the fitter told me

Top Bottom