The modern trend for high drop bars.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee_M

Guru
I had a proper bike fit when I bought the domane, and have bars higher than my seat because that works for a 6' 3" 51 yr old following a back operation

I didn't realise it was wrong, and that I'm not allowed to be a cyclist unless I fit into a certain geometry - I'll go and chuck my bike in a skip

seriously to the OP, what does it matter if we're riding?

I'm never going to win the TdF, and I suspect neither will you, so why not ride what is comfortable?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
seintro_SERW.jpg
rose.jpg

Re bike images - you can find whatever you want to find - eg. every bike shown on Ribbles' website, every road bike on Wiggle's site, how about Rose? Canyon? I'm not convinced that bars are getting higher, but I will agree with Rob3rt:
The only trend I observe is one of people buying new bikes in a rush and ending up with the wrong bike for their needs or the right bike, but in the wrong size and then having to bodge it to get it into a state they can ride it further than round the block. A 5 minute scope around the forums is evidence in itself.
All it proves is the seat can be put in that position! :wacko: Pretty much everyone who buys said bike will have the saddle in a unique to them location.

Cyclist33

So doesn't that prove they sell them like that?

In the case of the Felt pic, which is a Z series bike, it's clear to me at least that that is a) a women's specific model as it's pink paintwork indicates, and also the frame size is pretty small because the join of the top and seat tubes is well below the soffit level of the back wheel. So its saddle is lower based on a general(ised) assumption that the rider of that specific model in that specific size would have the saddle round about there.

Likewise the Cervelo looks like a small frame.

You've actually got a point in my opinion, but a woeful way of demonstrating it!

I still recommend hybrids or flat bar road bikes to people who want to get a road bike but actually want to ride it upright and will hardly ever use the drops.

Stu

OP
OP
SS Retro

SS Retro

I didn't realise it was wrong, and that I'm not allowed to be a cyclist unless I fit into a certain geometry - I'll go and chuck my bike in a skip

Go back and read the orginal post! I never said it was wrong, I said it looks wrong IMO so go get your skip out of the bike. :smile:
I

You've actually got a point in my opinion, but a woeful way of demonstrating it!
Yeah I would say it wasn't my finest post. :whistle:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
OP says "bars", which to me means the tops/hoods. Others are talking specifically about drops.

Just thought I'd point that out.

As you were.

zizou

Veteran
The OP was suggesting high drop bars being a modern trend. Those vintage pics show low bars on vintage bikes, which supports the OP's claim, no?

I dont think so - the saddle to bar drop is considerably smaller compared to what the trend / fashion is these days amongst the pros. Although this is partly (like you posted earlier) to do with the difference in riding on the hoods now compared to the past.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I dont think so - the saddle to bar drop is considerably smaller compared to what the trend / fashion is these days amongst the pros. Although this is partly (like you posted earlier) to do with the difference in riding on the hoods now compared to the past.
I disagree, we always rode on the hoods to cover the brakes. It was simply more 'the thing' to ride bikes with larger frames - higher top tubes - therefore less seat post showing. I still ride a Peugeot with down tube shifters, and the set up is as near as dammit the same as my other, 'modern' bikes.

Ningishzidda

The only thing 'custom' on Wiggo's bike is the paint.
The Pinno frame is one straight out of the carbon fibre moulding factory. Anyone can buy one. Pinno wouldn't commission a mould especially for Wiggo. It is one of the seven sizes Pinno have moulded.
2012-07-30-267_zpsaab72db0.jpg

I know cus' I spoke to the men who ride the things.

Handlebar position is dependent upon the posture of the rider to get maximum Watts per heart rate. A group of torso muscles working when they needn't be takes Watts out of the legs. Also, the most predominant spine position for ergonometrically perfect riding is somewhere between 40 and 45 degrees from the horizontal.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
So doesn't that prove they sell them like that?
Nope. All it proves is the seatpost and bars were in that position when the picture was taken.

Ningishzidda

2013-04-03-275_zpsbc9fb75d.jpg

Here are my two competition bikes.
The Alloy SWorks in the foreground has its handlebars considerably lower than the saddle surface and the saddle surface is level.
The Shiv in the background has its saddle nose down and the aerobars higher than the SWorks. Both bikes are how they are because those are the settings which give me maximum power for a 85% HR.
Testing was done with me holding the SWorks 'on the drops'.

Don't look at pictures of riders and make a decision 'That's how I'm going to set up my bike." It will probably be wrong for you.

Si_

Regular
Yes, but you're not a proper cyclist if you don't have drops. Some people who use drops would undoubtedly be better suited to flats but peer pressure is a wonderful thing :s

interesting drops/flat debate.

i was thinking to other day on my commute that for my purposes chopping the lower half off the drops would work fine. i never use them anyway as i ride most if not all the time on the brake hoods.

i prefer the feel of climbing on a set of drop bars, (again onthe hoods) as the angle my wrist is at feel more natural climbing out the saddle. having said that i sent years as a wide riser bar MTB'er but age and commuter/road use has pulled me back to the CX drop bar set up.

snailracer

Über Member
I think we are confused here, because the OP itself was a bit confusing.
You are saying that a modern setups have a larger saddle-to-bar drop - the OP and myself are suggesting the opposite (when it comes to riders who are not Bradley Wiggins).

Top Bottom