The modern trend for high drop bars.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
Yeh.
The coast-down tests need to be done with the various body positions to deterrmine which position has the most advantage in association with power production to get to the end of the 10 mile TT quickest.
Is that just doing timing tests or are you using the Chung method to get Crr & CdA values?

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I sometimes prefer my drops higher than the saddle. Also flat pedals and a gel seat. I like to get it just how I like to ride it and could not give a stuff for the crazy rules. I've been riding a bike since before some people were born and in some cases whilst so I like to think I know a thing or two about stuff. Hey, if it's raining I'll even stick a lightweight mudguard on the rear wheel of my roadbike.
Comfortable and with a dry backside...That's how I roll.:bicycle:
(And I ride it in my regular clothes (maybe some trackie bottoms and a t-shirt))

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Hello,-I-m-Awesome-T-Shirts.jpg
My saddle is much higher than the bars on both bikes. Now, where do I get my 'I'm Awesome' t-shirt?
Google is your friend

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I'm one of those "high drop" bar people, I'm afraid. I just find the hand positions more comfortable when using the drops, but my back's more comfortable if the handlebars are as high as possible, hence my odd setup:

20121117-Specialized-Roubaix-Expert-SL4-1st-ride.jpg

Yes, it looks weird, but I've done rides on this new road bike of up to 170km and 4000m climbing using this setup, and it works for me.

Ningishzidda

Is that just doing timing tests or are you using the Chung method to get Crr & CdA values?
"The Chung method???". There's nothing like a bit of plageurism.

I use the calcs from the Robert Bosch Automotive Handbook, first published when Ferdinand Porsche was designing the VolksWagen 'People's car'.
IIRC, it was John Boyd Dunlop, William Froude and John Kemp Starley who first dreamed up a method of determining the aerodynamic and tyre deformation drag of a wheeled vehicle.

As they say, "There's nothing new in cycling."

Ningishzidda

Having the handlebars in the most ergonomically advantageous position is not a new trend.

Mum.jpg

Ignore my Mum. She was wondering why that chap was holding up a cigarette case, and why he was wearing a silver plastic hat with slots in it.

snailracer

Über Member
Much as I respect Sheldon's contribution to the cycling world, that is most probably the ugliest bike ever and I can't help wonder if he needed so many hand positions, he clearly had bought a frame that didn't fit him properly.
No, it was a whimsy project, something he built for his own amusement because he could.

oldroadman

Veteran
As my children got used to riding on drop bars (starting with a 43cm frame on 650c wheels, which was ridiculously cute) they used all sorts of bizarre set-ups to ease the transition from their MTB-lookalike kiddie bikes. All three (if I recall) started with the stem higher than the saddle.

They now all have something like 'standard' set-ups on 'proper' road bikes with horizontal crossbars. But they eased into those positions over a year or two.

My wife (an occasional rider) uses my daughter's bike but with the bars raised to saddle height. She likes it that way. She's allowed to.

I think the trick is to ride the geometry you enjoy and not to pander to fashion. I confess I do not see huge numbers of riders with their bars set too high. Does the OP live near an orthopedic outpatient unit and ride regularly past patients on their way to or from appointments?

What does amuse me a little is the absolute conviction on the part of some cyclists that there is a 'correct' position which cannot be bettered and that the best way to find it is with a professional bike fit. I've moved my position a little this way and that over the years and will probably continue to do so.

Each rider probably has several 'correct' positions and bike set-ups. Even the pros like to move their bars around a little on longer stage races to allow them to alter their position.

I hope this post has helped to clarify this most complex of issues, but I fear it has done nothing of the sort.

Carry on.

Er, never did, altering position is asking for injuries to crop up in the back/shoulders area. The only time I can recall this was due to crash injuries. When you cover 20,000+ km a year you get a position which works and stay with it, training and racing. Of course, TT bikes are a different matter, but that's not too many times a year, thank goodness!

Top Bottom