The most stylish Brompton yet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikegang

Mod before ride, my bike my style...
:laugh:^_^:hyper: How do you like this one then? The whole bike with rack and fenders still under 8Kg (Stock fork and rear triangle).
But the owner think front part too flexible during ride, he (~70kg) would prefer to have thicker heavier but stronger stem and frame.

12670530_1377939168889611_6628069328506439911_n.jpg

942600_1377911158892412_8661985142815198314_n.jpg
12924377_1377911152225746_8150648898525969324_n.jpg

OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
That's more like it, although it looks more like an angle-grinder than a chainwheel.

Perhaps if your commute involved a busy train journey you'd have a different view about why people buy them!

It's also worth observing that they've currently got a lead time on bespoke bikes of 4 - 8 weeks at least, so they're not exactly short of work at the moment. And that's despite Bromptons being a product which just keeps on going.

I'll have you know I'm not a country bumpkin! I go into London quite often, so do see a fair number of Bromptons, but also a number of Dahons and others, probably a 2.5 to 1 ratio. As there's not a lot of difference between the fold, weight and size (although there are some which are lighter than Bromptons), the herd instinct comes to mind, and the development of this Brooks 150 limited edition is indicative of the "designer" element.

Of course Brompton would be even busier if they brought out a modern, lighter model. As I said, 12kg for a standard model is not a good way to encourage new customers. @velovoice ditched the 8 speed as it was just too heavy.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Beige was considered stylish in the 70's but you got the full monty not just the extremities. Does anyone know the price? Hope it's not, "well if you have to ask".

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
...A lot of people do seem to buy them regardless, due to them being a fashion icon.
I bought mine largely on the strength of a test ride - I was attracted by the compact fold (in 2009, nothing else was even close) but had decided to compromise a little and get a Mezzo. But the B rode so nicely that I changed my mind again - the backwards compatibility (and reasonably cheap parts) is a big plus for me too, as I can't see buying another being in my immediate future.

I have no illusions about my fashionability on one - colleagues, and even my own daughter see me with it and say "Oh, on the clown bike again then?"

Kell

Veteran
I must admit, there aren't many people (I've met) that don't own a Brompton that then see one and don't think it's pretty neat.

The only people that tend to put them down tend to be those that have bought another bike and put down Bromptons as a way of justifying their own purchase.

I owned three folding bikes before getting a Brompton so it's not like I wanted one above all else. In fact, the first three I chose were deliberately done just because they weren't Bromptons. I genuinely don't care what other people ride, though I am interested in their reasons for choosing their bike, but to make a blanket statement about all Brompton owners is insulting at best.

And I'd hardly say any small-wheeled folder is a fashion icon. They are all, to a point, function over form.

Fair comment, and they're brilliant at what they do, and I do genuinely like Bromptons. A Brompton was the last bike I put away in my garage last night and I lovingly locked it up alongside all the other varied bikes in there, so I'm not size-ist!

They could be much better though. However increasingly they are marketing a concept as they know they're in a dead-end. So recently there's the Black edition, now this Brooks model. As I keep on saying, 12kg for steel gas pipe construction is not giving consumers a good deal. Their web site boasts that they are at the cutting edge of bicycle innovation. And yet the product is almost identical to 25 years ago. How is that cutting edge?

There's the Hummingbird - 6.5kg or Helix 9.5 kg coming along - they're cutting edge.

Top Bottom