The most stylish Brompton yet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
I'm certainly not saying they can't be improved.

The gear shifters and gearing in general is antiquated at best. The weight is another contentious issue.

But for me, there was no better combination of foldability and price.

Origamist

Legendary Member
With 24" wheels, that is impressive!

If it were true! The Helix is not as small as a Brommie when folded (volume wise) but it is surprisingly close. The Helix does fold smaller than most 20" wheel folders though.

The only reason I have not bought a Brompton this year is due to the 'imminent' release of the Helix. However, it appears to have run into manufacturing delays and I'm toying with a raw finish S2L with a 58t chainring.

Origamist

Legendary Member
The estimated cost of the Helix 10 speed is/was 1600 USD. I can't believe that the price will not go up though.

Last edited:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The Helix looks fantastic. Too good to be true?
Again, I think it depends on what the purchaser is after - There's no parking fold, no ability to trolley the bike around on its rear castors, no integrated luggage solution...

OTOH, lighter, probably fewer manufacturer only parts, easier to tune for a perfect fit to you, probably more forgiving of poor surfaces, &c &c.

Kell

Veteran
With 24" wheels, that is impressive!

I've seen the videos of the Helix before, but if it's going to be $1600US then you know it's going to be at least the same in £. So for people that think Bromptons are expensive, it's hardly going to tempt them away.

And the Hummingbird won't end up at 6.5kg by the time you add a back brake, mudguards and gears...

But the point is well made, other people are coming up with other ideas. If the Helix had been available when I bought my Brompton and was close to the same price, then I would certainly have test ridden it. The Hummingbird, not so much.

Kell

Veteran
Again, I think it depends on what the purchaser is after - There's no parking fold, no ability to trolley the bike around on its rear castors, no integrated luggage solution...

OTOH, lighter, probably fewer manufacturer only parts, easier to tune for a perfect fit to you, probably more forgiving of poor surfaces, &c &c.

It doesn't push along on the easy wheels because you wheel it about on the actual wheels. That's one thing I think Brompton could look into - see if there's a way to alter the fold so the front wheel can be used to push it along.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
It doesn't push along on the easy wheels because you wheel it about on the actual wheels. That's one thing I think Brompton could look into - see if there's a way to alter the fold so the front wheel can be used to push it along.
That would compromise one of their main selling points though, the compact fold would have to be less so to de-overlap the front wheel from the rear assembly. Personally I don't have an issue with it as is, if I need to I can leave the bars up and tip it back just a tad to roll it on its castors/easy wheels.

Kell

Veteran
That's fine if you don't have to move it very far or the surface is perfectly flat. But the weight of the bike is all wrong so it's pretty unstable even on a smooth train platform, and next to useless on a pavement (for example).

I've heard of people fitting skateboard wheels instead of the easy wheels to make this bit easier, but my heels only clear my easy wheels by mm anyway, so anything wider wouldn't work.

As I say, I was looking at mine folded the other day and wondering if there would be a way so that the front wheel is tucked in while folded as it is now, but if you pulled up the seat post and leant it back, it would hit the ground and you'd be able to roll it along.

It was just a thought as one of the great things about the full-size folders I used to have was that you'd could push them along really easily while folded (although it took less than a second to unfold). This was useful for me as I normally get on the back of the train to ensure there's space, which means I'm furthest away from the ticket barriers. In turn, with a Brompton, because of the weight, it's uncomfortable to carry for that length of time so I have to stop and unfold it to push it along, which means by the time I get to the barriers, I have to queue for ages.

It may be that it's only me that thinks it's a good idea though...

StuartG

slower but further
Yes - it would be great to have more Brompton competition and we can only wish these two entrants well.

However one recurring criticism of the Brompton in this thread is of the 'gas pipe' frame. Over engineered? Maybe, but it does work - the Brompton doesn't normally break. The issue facing any folder is the design of the frame has to be compromised for the fold. That means parts of it will have to endure much higher stresses than those of a normal road bike frame. There is no alternative to beefing it up. The skill is doing 'just enough' to keep the weight down.

Arguably Brompton did a bit more, Dahon a little bit less. Dahon are where they are because people prefer a folder that doesn't break to one that has a bit of reputation for doing so even if it has other advantages.

No one, including the designers, will know if these new bikes will survive ten years (or even five) of real abuse until they have done it. This does make it difficult for new entrants once the euphoria of the launch passes and teething problems become apparent. Are they teething or fundamental? Are they implicit in the design or introduced in production?

Hand built prototypes don't test everything. It usually takes Microsoft to 'version 3' to produce a usable product. They have more resources than these cycle designers. I shall keep my wallet tight until they are proven in the field. Chicken and egg I know, but I'm not into the scrambled variant.

Personally for me - my major reservation is the gearing. I'd be very happy with a wider range 5 speed hub. That's it. Otherwise don't mess with what isn't broken. Which is a good description of my ten year old M3L.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Birdy & the somewhat cloney of it Mezzo have avoided the hinged frame and still produce an acceptably small fold/decent ride combo.

My Birdy Blue is 14 and the frame is still in top nick. The sram dualdrive died a few years back and it's on a 5 speed SA hub now, doesn't feel as solid and reliable as the Brommy 3 speed SA variant but works well enough & plenty enough range for hilly Oldham and surrounds.

Top Bottom