The motor vehicle questions and answers thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Are 'free' battery tests reliable though? I've yet to be told that my battery is ok and i don't need to buy one from the place doing the test. Meaning even if the battery's ok,they'll tell you it isn't, to get you to buy one of theirs.

D

Deleted member 26715

No difference to any other test you ask somebody to carry out

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Call into Halfords and they will do a free drop test on the battery.

Probably Accy's best option as he doesn't have to buy one. If the car keeps starting sluggishly on cold mornings, but is OK say on warmer days, or afternoons, the battery is past it's best. You'd be amazed at what you thought was fine, compared to when a new battery is fitted.

gbb

Legendary Member
A few basics to check. Have you checked the battery terminals are clean and secure. No corrosion, furry residue.
Can you see any earth straps, heavy gauge straps going from the engine to the bodywork or from the starter maybe to the bodywork. If any earth is poor, it will give you problems. Wiggle them about, make sure they're tight....assuming you want go get hour hands dirty.:okay:

keithmac

Guru
Halfords sell Yuasa batteries at very keen prices, the best you can buy imho.

Our Kuga had a Varta Enhanced Flooded Battery from new, Ford OEM unit. Apparently Varta make Bosch batteries, I've had good experiences with Bosch Silver.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Why would you want this? https://www.cargurus.co.uk/Cars/l-U...Ch2rzgAjEAEYASABEgIoWfD_BwE#listing=135752321
Thirty grand for a square shaped,dated looking gas guzzler! It must be like driving a bus, when trying to drive it around narrow over crowded roads. Any of you fancy owning one? I mean chucking hard earned money at an old one,not winning the national lottery and buying a new one just because you can.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I was once walking along Great Marlborough Street in Soho, London, when a Silver Spirit stopped across the pavement impeded my progress.

Exercising my licence to interfere, I asked the guy what was afoot.

He said he had just reversed out of a bomb site car park, the car had stalled and would not restart.

Interestingly, it was stuck in drive because the gear change is a spindly column stalk which only works electrically.

A flat battery meant you could move the stalk all you liked but it would not change gear.

A guy in a Mercedes stopped to help.

He had some good, sturdy jump leads, which was good because many thinner ones would have just overheated - common problem when I was doing breakdowns.

He also had a battery big enough to start his Stuttgart taxi.

Next task with the Roller was to find its battery - it was in the boot under a few bits of board and several inches of Axminster.

Once connected, the big old beast fired up nicely.

It was like a waking giant, with the rear easing upwards - the rear suspension is from Citroen, as evidenced by a licence plate under the bonnet.

The owner was relieved and pleased.

He invited me to call into his sandwich bar around the corner any time, not that I ever did.

Drago

Legendary Member
Are 'free' battery tests reliable though? I've yet to be told that my battery is ok and i don't need to buy one from the place doing the test. Meaning even if the battery's ok,they'll tell you it isn't, to get you to buy one of theirs.
Depends how intelligent the tester and how honest the garage. A proper drop test with the results present by a reputable emporium should be fine.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Why would you want this? https://www.cargurus.co.uk/Cars/l-U...Ch2rzgAjEAEYASABEgIoWfD_BwE#listing=135752321
Thirty grand for a square shaped,dated looking gas guzzler! It must be like driving a bus, when trying to drive it around narrow over crowded roads. Any of you fancy owning one? I mean chucking hard earned money at an old one,not winning the national lottery and buying a new one just because you can.
A matter of personal choice. There are cars such as the Nissan Puke I think are fugly and wouldn't give drive space to even if I was given one. But the volume of them seen on the road suggests my tastes differ from quite a number of others.

Top Bottom