The motor vehicle questions and answers thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
On my walks i spotted a bloke doing up a 'vintage car'. I got talking to him. It's a 1935 Morris. He's doing the body and the wiring up and hopes to have it on the road by next summer. I've taken with his permission,quite a few pics on my phone of the car. I wish i could post them on here,but i'm not clued up how to. Anyway,i noticed the windscreen actually opens up on hinges. Can any of you remember the old Minis, Austins etc where the rear windows opened up on hinges? So simple and no chance of them breaking down!!

Salar

A fish out of water
Do without a few pints and just buy a new battery.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
A few pints?! More like a Paul Gascoigne type bender!

I've just typed in the make.model,year,etc of my car. Here's what they recommend. https://www.eurocarparts.com/car-battery

One's over 3 hundred quid!!!:ohmy:
Eurocarparts are IME expensive. They have frequent sales and which often bring the price of car parts down to what others sell at. My latest experience was last month when I was looking at brake pads for Mrs B's car. Even Halfords were cheaper for the same pads, (which were on a "flash sale" at Europarts) and that was before any discount from BC/CUK.
For example the first battery on your hyperlink is shown as £65.99 at Europarts. The identical battery is £41.47 here and from a quick look, there are even cheaper ones elsewhere.
And yes, you can have batteries delivered to your home. My last two arrived this way.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

So you have a Mini?
Nope I'm not that daft

D

Deleted member 26715

Europarts are IME expensive. They have frequent sales and which often bring the price of car parts down to what others sell at. My latest experience was last month when I was looking at brake pads for Mrs B's car. Even Halfords were cheaper for the same pads, (which were on a "flash sale" at Europarts) and that was before any discount from BC/CUK.
For example the first battery on your hyperlink is shown as £65.99 at Europarts. The identical battery is £41.47 here and from a quick look, there are even cheaper ones elsewhere.
And yes, you can have batteries delivered to your home. My last two arrived this way.
Wouldn't touch a Lion battery even with your barge pole

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Well,it fired up tonight. It hasn't run since Saturday afternoon when the bloke from the garage started it with his power unit thingy. I would've run it yesterday,but it was about minus 3 C,so after Friday's caper i thought it best to leave it till today knowing it had to 'warm up' tonight to 6 C. Anyway,as i turned the ignition key after letting the glow plug lights go out,it struggled for a second or so then it fired up. I drove it for about 5 miles(locally within walking distance, in case it cut out and i had to walk home). The windows did their dipping up and down thing,but i didn't try and put them down, as i just don't trust electric windows!

The battery for my Fabia (satrt/stop engine) was over £200 from the Skoda dealer or £140 (inc delivery) from Tayna Batteries. Although it was cheaper it was a higher specification to the original and was the same make and model, just upgraded.

Borrow a battery charger/analyser to check your battery's condition. Some can be saved but others are beyond repair and will let you down when you can least afford it.

Find your battery here:
https://www.tayna.co.uk/Mini-Mini-Car-Battery

Jody

Stubborn git

The discount code takes that battery to £42.89 available for pick up in store @ ECP. No postage charges to add or waiting for delivery.

Top Bottom