The name is Bond, James Bond and I'm a bin lorry.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin_P

Guru
For some strange reason I'm both fascinated, amused and fearful of the whole bins and recycling thing. I know, it is strange. This is an attempt to make some sense out of it.

I think the councils are going after the wrong mans / womens. It is the shops with their excessive and often pointless packaging who are the real villains and we are paying twice for their villainy; first of all for in the shop purchase cost and then to get rid of it via our council tax. So what have successive gubberments and councils done, yeh, made it our problem, not the shops.

As for the thread title, apparently bin lorries are being fitted with up to seven cameras to spy on us! And in some places if we get it wrong, the bin fascists at the council will write a strongly worded letter, which if you ignore will land you hefty fine and or some kind of asbo.

Personally, I cannot see how these cameras can spy on anyone or their bins. I think they are probably more likely to be for defending the council against cash for crash insurance claims from prius driving uber drivers.

Anyway, back to the bins and the lunacy of the whole rubbish, re-cycling and packaging thing. It would be interesting to establish a picture of exactly how mad and or officious your council is. To do this, list your bins, the frequency of emptying, and special rules and any interesting rubbish anecdotes.

Me;

4 bins

1, Grey wheely one for general rubbish, emptied once a week. For some reason this one is 87 decibels? It is not a hi-fi it is a bin so quite why it has this information stamped on the lid is anyones guess. Having pretentions of being middle class, I get a man in a pickup truck to jet wash this one once a month on bin day as it is a bit of a stinker.

2, Blue wheely one for all re-cycling, we horse all the re-cycling in this one, cardboard, glass and plastic, emptied once a week. This one has a microchip in it and your recycling gets weighed by the bin lorry. The heavier your recycling is the more points you get. You can exchange your re-cycling points for a completely useless and limited range of discount vouchers for things that any normal person would never buy. We try and keep this one stink free.

3, Little black bin for food waste, emptied once a week. This one is a proper little stinker and also quite fragile. We are on our 2nd one as being little it seems that the binmen like to dropkick or throw it back into our garden. The first one cracked and the disgusting rotting food oozed a bit helped along by the flies and maggots.

4, Green wheely for garden waste, emptied once a fortnight and we have to pay about £50 a year for this but it beats sitting in a traffic jam waiting to get into the dump every time I cut the grass.

As for the minefield of deciding what should go in which bin, my general rules of thumb are;

i, A few bits of rubble from the rubble pile (who doesn't have a pile of rubble?) get horsed into the grey bin. In about 3,000 years the pile of rubble will be gone.

ii, Never rinse recyclie stuff, especially if you are on a water meter.

iii, Raw chicken and any meat packaging goes in the grey bin, don't want to stink the blue one out and turn it into another biohazard.

iv, Any cardboard stays out in the rain before going into the blue bin. It is heavier that way and you get more pointless discount voucher points for things you will never buy.

v, Never take the lids off recyclies as that would stink the blue one.

vi, Any plastic that you cannot find the recylie logo on has a 50/50 chance of going in the blue depending on its stinkability quotient.

vii, Giant cardboard boxes, always best to stanley knife them into small bits that will actually fit in the bin prior to allowing them to go soggy in the rain, less mess that way but is right and proper chore.

viii, Raw dog poo goes in the green amongst the grass clippings which encapsulate the stink. Bagged poo from dog walks goes in the grey.

ix, Polystyrene, not the singer, RIP. But the stuff that usually comes with the giant cardboard boxes, what the hell do you do with that, does anyone know?

x, Argue with the Wife / Kids / Yourself (if single) about who's job / turn it is to take them out. It always ends up being my turn.

xi, Have another arguement about who's job / turn it is to bring them in. It always ends up being my turn.

All in all it is quite stress free. I don't envy those who have their bins emptied, especially the stinky ones less than once a week. It'd also be interesting to know what colour your council is in terms of once a week or longer emptying. As above, with the exception of the green bin, mine all get emptied once a week and it is a Blue council.

Last edited:

sheddy

Legendary Member
Sorry, but I really think that this thread is rubbish

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
We have 3 bines

Black for normal household waste
Green for certain recycable's
Brown garden waste

all emptied once every two weeks

All local bins have hidden camera's that the gestapo council use to track comings and goings :laugh:

Our cats poo goes in one of the local dog poo bins

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Sensible here in Leicester, 1 black wheelie bin for general waste (including cat poo) Orange plastic bags for re-cycling and for garden waste it's bag it up and give em a ring (but that's only Privet and Ivy trimmings, all the rest goes into the compost bin)

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
We have 6 different bins.
Large Green - general waste collected every 2 weeks
Large Brown - garden waste collected every 2 weeks on rotation with the general waste (costs us an extra £35 per annum for this)
Small brown - food waste collected once a week
Small green - paper collected once a week
Small black - glass collected once a week
Small red - plastic and metal collected once per week.

The whole process of sorting and putting out bins takes 15 mins

The worst thing is having to find space for 6 bins in the front garden. It makes the road look messy. Also after windy weather the road is often strewn with rubbish and the foxes sift through the bins too.

AndyRM

XOXO
We've got 3, one of which confuses me...

Light green - general waste, collected weekly.

Dark green - apparently for garden waste but I carried out an experiment and found this not to be true, it's just a general waste bin. Either I'm wrong or the collectors are.

Grey - recycling. Paper and cans in the main section, glass in the black caddy. Collected fortnightly.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
x, Argue with the Wife / Kids / Yourself (if single) about who's job / turn it is to take them out. It always ends up being my turn.

xi, Have another arguement about who's job / turn it is to bring them in. It always ends up being my turn.
The argument starts at the kitchen bin in my house as the bin is segregated into 4 sections that match the wheelie bins. The number of times I go to the bin and find a paper tetra pack juice carton in the bottle/can hopper or a ball of used foil in the paper section! Jeez, it isn't rocket science but unless they are intentionally just trying to wind me up my family seem to find it more challenging than brain surgery. Don't get me started on the correct method for stacking the dishwasher......

I do also have several stories about inept refuse collection failures but life is too short to start regurgitating those.

It is the shops with their excessive and often pointless packaging who are the real villains and we are paying twice for their villainy; first of all for in the shop purchase cost and then to get rid of it via our council tax. So what have successive gubberments and councils done, yeh, made it our problem, not the shops.
Don't be so passive. Choose what you buy. Bring your own bags to a market, choose products in simpler packaging, don't buy prepared meals, leave the unnecessary packaging at the shop. If we all did that, they'd reduce the waste.

View: https://youtu.be/nYDQcBQUDpw

OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru
Don't be so passive. Choose what you buy. Bring your own bags to a market, choose products in simpler packaging, don't buy prepared meals, leave the unnecessary packaging at the shop. If we all did that, they'd reduce the waste.

Totally with you but not many have the time to go full Dave Angel. It also still avoids the elephant in the room which is manurfacturers / retailers carrying on wastefully wrapping things that don't need it.

As is so often usual with many things, they are done arse about face where some easy wins could be had but instead the most illogical way is happening instead.

<tinfoilhattime>
What about the tracking chips in the bins? This was once touted as a future ability to weigh the bins as they flip to determine if an excess charge could be levied.
But at the moment that's as quiet as the Galileo satnav system containing a car speed limiter.
</tinfoilhattime>

OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru
<tinfoilhattime>
What about the tracking chips in the bins? This was once touted as a future ability to weigh the bins as they flip to determine if an excess charge could be levied.
But at the moment that's as quiet as the Galileo satnav system containing a car speed limiter.
</tinfoilhattime>

As above in my OP, we have that now on our recycle bin, except....

They weigh it and we get points = prizes, yay.
https://www.greenredeem.co.uk/

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Five full size wheelie bins, one crate

1 Black for medical waste - fortnightly
1 Grey for general waste - fortnightly
1 Blue for cans and plastic containers - fortnightly
1 Green for cardboard - monthly
1 Brown for garden waste and food - fortnightly
1 small crate for glass - fortnightly.

We're supposed to have a pull out and return service as my wife is disabled and I work away from home but this only happens about 60% of the time. It's been as much as two months between some collections. The monthly collection for cardboard should really be fortnightly.

All those bins take up a helluva space. We're lucky as we can spare it, some of our neighbours can't and there are bins all over the streets.

classic33

Leg End Member
First two lots of wheelie bins, bought by the council were siezed upon entry into the country. Illegal immigrants found hiding in them.

Does no-one make wheelie bins here?

screenman

Legendary Member
First two lots of wheelie bins, bought by the council were siezed upon entry into the country. Illegal immigrants found hiding in them.

Does no-one make wheelie bins here?

I know of at least one company, but your council may want cheapest which is seldom UK made.

Top Bottom