The name is Bond, James Bond and I'm a bin lorry.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
1 green bin for all recycling. Collected fortnightly.
1 Brown bin for landfill, collected fortnightly.
1 bag for garden waste, collected weekly from April - August

Only limitations are, they won't collect it if it's overflowing, and if stuff is stuck in there, they won't pull it out. They simply invert the bin, and anything that stays in there does not get collected. I think this is poor, because if your recycling hasn't all been collected then people are more likely to put the excess recycling in the landfill bin.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
3 Wheelie bins here;
Black non recyclable
Blue all glass, recyclable plastic, paper, card, metal.
Green garden waste

Emptied once a fortnight, except for the garden waste which has no collections from about the end of October to the beginning of March.

I presume the extent of segregation of recyclable waste is determined by the contracts the local authority have with the recyclers, as it seems a very mixed picture? I know for example my daughter has to separate card and paper, from other recyclables, whilst a friend in an adjoining authority cannot put shredded paper in with paper, (which we can). In his authority that has to go in the non recycleable.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Our holiday house in Germany had six bins in total. It was difficult to work out which one to use as the other residents seemed to be confused as well.
It wasn't necessary to recycle glass bottles as these went into a machine in the supermarket to get the deposit back. Why can't we have deposit bottles in this country?

Brandane

Legendary Member
All for it. Charge for waste disposal by the amount a household produces. The only way to really make people change their habits is by making the habit have a direct financial consequence.
You haven't really thought that one through, have you?
That may well work in middle class suburbia, with all it's honest law abiding residents. However I can just picture the scene in less well off areas where rubbish bags will be dumped wherever they feel like dumping them. Anywhere apart from their own bins. Perhaps some of it will find it's way to other peoples bins, in middle class suburbia!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Where I used to work, we had the standard 3 bins: Food waste (brown), recycling (blue), and general (grey). The grey bin used to be full and overflowing before collection day, while the blue bin had plenty of free space. The crew of the bin lorry told me to put any excessive general waste into the recycling bin because it all goes into the back of the same bin lorry anyway. And we're supposed to take this recycling nonsense seriously? :rolleyes:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There are 5 recycling bins and 4 general waste bins in this place. They have 2 bins for cardboard and paper,2 for tins and cans and just 1 for glass bottles and just one for plastic bottles. The glass and plastic bottle recycling bins are full in about a week,while the others are only about half full. This is a problem,as we only get a fortnightly collection. Wouldn't you think they'd convert one of the not used so much bins into a glass and plastic bottle recycling bin? Just a thought.

Leaway2

Lycrist
We in Trafford, Manchester, have to pay £40/year for the council to collect our Green bins (Garden/kitchen waste).

Drago

Legendary Member
Anything prohibited (batteries, food, informers corpses etc, gets cut up into unrecognisable sizes and wrapped up to make them unidentifiable. They can then use their cameras all they want and it'll tell them nothing, and if they want to physically go through my bin they would need a RIPA authority as that is directed surveillance.

Another wheeze is to pain someone elses house number on your bin. "Who me...? "

Top Bottom