The name is Bond, James Bond and I'm a bin lorry.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Wow.

Did they tell you they were going to do that?

I can see reasons why this might be necessary (eg hypodermics ending up in general rubbish) but I think there should be due process.

It's pretty common, and I think it's a good idea (they did it where I used to live, and we were told about it). Too many numpties don't take the care to properly separate their rubbish which costs local authorities a lot of money.

OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru
Rinse your tins etc at the end of the washing up in the water you're about to pour away. A quick scoosh and you're done.

Good idea, but we don't wash up and already have rows about how to load the dishwasher.

Anything prohibited (batteries, food, informers corpses etc, gets cut up into unrecognisable sizes and wrapped up to make them unidentifiable. They can then use their cameras all they want and it'll tell them nothing, and if they want to physically go through my bin they would need a RIPA authority as that is directed surveillance.

Another wheeze is to pain someone elses house number on your bin. "Who me...? "

Yeh, yeh...

What about your secret blacks-ops bin, well more of a flask, that you get rid of your nuclear waste in. Rumour has it though you once got a strongly worded letter for putting weapons grade stuff in it.

As for your bins, I bet they have been lovingly and skillfully spray stenciled to make them look like ammo boxes with your house number on them.

Oh right. Well we have a new "camp commandant" now. She looks a bit,shall we say tyrannical. I might mention it when i find her in a good mood,which might be quite a while yet.

Don't say a word and never make eye contact with her otherwise you might find yourself getting a strongly worded letter.

The council were going through our bins a few months ago.

Hope you whilsted the Great Escape theme as they were doing so.

Leaway2

Lycrist
Wow.

Did they tell you they were going to do that?

I can see reasons why this might be necessary (eg hypodermics ending up in general rubbish) but I think there should be due process.
No they didn’t tell us. I just happened to be going out as they were doing it. As for due process, I guess the fact that that I had left it out for them to collect, I am giving it to them.

Edit: crossed posts with @User: so what he said

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We don't have bins. Hammersmith and Fulham throw endless rolls of recycling sacks at us, but the non recycling stuff goes in a black bags that it's our job to provide. Paper, plastic, tins and glass go in their sack. Food scraps etc (that we don't compost) go in the black sack. It's pretty easy really. The only problem is meat scraps. The local foxes rip open the black sacks every Monday night and then crap on the pavement. We flush a few bits of meat down the khazi to minimise this. It's probably very naughty, but fox poo is seriously unpleasant stuff.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
3 bins here

1x green - recycling: cardboard, paper, foil, plastics 1, 2 and 4, tin cans and aerosols - but NOT glass which you have to take to the recycling centre yourself
1x brown - garden waste
1x black - owt else

All emptied fortnightly, with the green and black alternate weeks. The brown one is emptied fortnightly, on a different day, from April to October only (I think...)
Some of our neighbours never put their green bin out - there are noticeably fewer bins at the collection point on green bin week, so presumably all their rubbish, recyclable or not, goes in the black bin :headshake:

It really vexes me the amount of stuff sold by supermarkets in particular in packaging that can't be recycled - a practice that should be banned

<tinfoilhattime>
What about the tracking chips in the bins? This was once touted as a future ability to weigh the bins as they flip to determine if an excess charge could be levied.
But at the moment that's as quiet as the Galileo satnav system containing a car speed limiter.
</tinfoilhattime>

Often talked about but I guess it's been shelved as unenforceable - we used to have a problem with one neighbour (since moved on) who never put her own bin out, but would put her bin bags into other peoples bins after they'd been put out*, and it's not hard to see that happening on a near industrial scale if they started charging each household based on weight.

* - she was caught by another neighbour who helpfully returned all the bin bags to her garden. I don't know what she did with the bin bags full of rubbish between collections...:rolleyes:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I got rid of my 660L trade waste bin as i didnt want a big bin in my front garden . I swapped it for two 330L wheelie bins . Cost me around £150 a year to hire and i pay per empty on a private contract .
The council then decided to tuck me up and introduced wheelie bins and not collecting garden waste so i hire another garden bin for £50 a year .
Then i got boxes for plastic , cardboard , general waste , food waste and a food caddy .
I may ask for my 660L bin back and just pay to get rid of my own waste . It will cost the same and i'll have more room in MY frontfookingarden

classic33

Leg End Member
Wheelie Bin*, into which black bags should be placed. Non recyclable waste.
White Nylon Bag, Plastic bottles/containers
Green Box, Tins & Bottles
Large Brown Box, Food Waste, bagged in non-biodegradable bags
Small Brown Box, Food Waste, bio-degradable bags
Green Nylon Bag, paper only. Card to be placed in a seperate green bag.

*Wheelie bin not to be used due to steps.

Soon to be replaced by
Wheelie Bin, half sized and still not to be used due to steps.
Container for tins. Spam cans(and others like them) to go into black bags. Coating used.
Containers for Plastics to be split into clear, "white" & coloured. Lids and labels to be removed & placed into black bags with non recyclables.
Containers for clear & coloured glass.
Bag for paper & card.
Single Brown Container for food waste.

classic33

Leg End Member
Covert cameras mounted on all collection vehicles, keeping an eye on what's going into the wagons & where from.

They bypassed the tagged bin system.

OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru
They dropped off a new food bin to replace the cracked one the binmen must have played football with.

The dilema is what to do with the old one.

I think I'm going to play bin Russian dolls and put it in the re-cycle bin.

When the Skynet cameras see a bin 'having a bin' it might just start Judgement Day. Best stock up on tins of baked beans people, you have been warned.

classic33

Leg End Member
They dropped off a new food bin to replace the cracked one the binmen must have played football with.

When the Skynet cameras see a bin 'having a bin' it might just start Judgement Day. Best stock up on tins of baked beans people, you have been warned.
Windy weather!

byegad

Legendary Member
We have three bins and a box. All collected fortnightly around the year,except the Garden waste one which is collected fortnightly for just over half the year.
We move 18 months ago from the poor side of the village to a new build, in the posher end.

Before we moved, the bin men, sorry waste collection staff, (They're all men and collect the bins all the same!) wouldn't take a bin with the lid even fractionally open*, if you left cardboard next to the recycle bin due to the bin being full, it was left in the street indefinitely**. Bins were left all over the back street after they'd collected, making getting a car into the back yard a slalom where you needed to get out and move the odd bin to get home! Any spills** were left in the back street, and could be there until the wind, local kids or wildlife moved them.

Now, we can stack excess cardboard 5 feet high next to full bin and they take it, bins can be so full that the lids are flopped over the back of the bin and they are emptied. Empty bins are left on the footpath and any spilt rubbish is immediately swept up by the waste collection staff, sorry, bin men, no, waste collection staff. (I think!)

The local council, I know our local councillor, are keen to improve the environment of our old address. My councillor friend is aware of the {perceived} class distinction applied by the bin men (I've settled on this description, until the PC police arrest me!) in the way they do their job.

*Some of these bins now have plants growing from them, they've been in the back street so long. Meanwhile the denizens*** who initially put them out, use other peoples bins for their rubbish, or dump plastic bags, which the bin men won't collect, in the street.****

** Yes we cleared it up, but out of a street of 70 households we were one of two that did this.

*** Definition of a denizen, a human looking being with no sense, moral compass or intelligence. Can be identified by blood on knuckles, where they drag on the ground, ownership of a multitude of children, with misspelled or made up names, all with different, absent, fathers and a number of dogs > No. of children.

****However, when they are called in by the local councillor, once a month, on average, they happily collect them, but then they're on overtime!

classic33

Leg End Member

Ours are non recyclable. Black bag for it.

classic33

Leg End Member
@byegad, you needed one off these
images-3.jpg

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Just three* here.

Grey wheelie bin for stuff that doesnt' get recycled.
A plastic tub with a yellow lid for glass, metal and plastic.
A plastic tub with a red lid for paper and card.

*The council is now charging extra for green garden waste wheelie. Mine goes in the grey bin.

They no longer recycle food waste, which is a shame. Not that the council ever gave me a food waste bin, even after numerous requests. I tend to eat everything anyway, so it would have been coffee grinds and teabags and little else. I suppose I could chuck those on the garden instead of in the bin though.

Top Bottom