The 'need' to indicate - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Some years back, a colleague and I had a discussion with our guv'nor about whether when driving you need to indicate when there's no other traffic about. We were / are of the view that it should be an 'automatic habit' regardless of traffic conditions. He felt that there wasn't any point, suggesting that it needed concious effort to decide whether to indicate or not. :whistle:
As my driving instructor hammered into me in 1972 - 'mirror, signal, manoever - !' :okay:
Your thoughts - !

T4tomo

Guru
my driving instructor, circa 1986, used to say "why are you indicating when there is no-one to indicate to"

the counter to that would be there may be someone, car or pedestrian etc that you haven't spotted who would benefit from knowing where you are intending to go. I think I figured you wouldnt get failed for over indicating.

Biker man

Some years back, a colleague and I had a discussion with our guv'nor about whether when driving you need to indicate when there's no other traffic about. We were / are of the view that it should be an 'automatic habit' regardless of traffic conditions. He felt that there wasn't any point, suggesting that it needed concious effort to decide whether to indicate or not. :whistle:
As my driving instructor hammered into me in 1972 - 'mirror, signal, manoever - !' :okay:
Your thoughts - !

All uphill

Still rolling along
I signal whether or not I am aware of other road users and pedestrians or not. That's how I was taught when I first drove.

A few years ago I did a minibus driving course and was taught to look around and decide whether indicating was required. I didn't like that idea then, and I still don't.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
What is mandatory is making appropriate observations before starting your manoevre. If you see that there's no one there and decide to indicate anyway - no harm is done. In fact as you are fallible it might still be useful as you may have missed someone. If you decide not to indicate, again no problem, as you have looked and confirmed that there is no need.

But what could become a problem is getting into an automatic habit of sticking the indicator on without making proper observations and hoping that by indicating all will be OK.

You need to get sufficient info to get to the decision point where you know whether or not anyone will see. What you decide to do if there's no one there is up to you.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
On the bike I'm probably more towards the "don't indicate if no one is there" camp. When indicating, especially right, I'm always extra concerned about who I'm signalling to and making absolutely sure they have understood my intentions. But if I've shoulder checked and looked around and there is no one there - I'm not going to wave my arm about.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I tend to indicate as habit unless there's a specific reason not to. For example, if turning left just after another junction where an early signal could mislead someone into pulling out. Got beeped by someone behind because I then indicated "late" as he saw it but it was better than t-boning the car waiting at the junction before my lay-by.

On the bike I am reticent about signalling left as it tends to encourage some clown behind to overtake then turn the corner beside me.

So I am of the "always indicate unless.." camp rather than "avoid indicating unless.." which seems to be the implied rule for self styled "advanced drivers" who then avoid indicating for mere pedestrians

I treat most bits of a roadcraft on a bike the same as a car - always indicate - even if you see no-one - same as when I learned to drive a car.

Top Bottom