The 'need' to indicate - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
People do that a lot on the Motorway stick the indicator on and pull out at the same time very dangerous.

You then get the opposite where someone tries to move from outside lane to middle and someone from inside lane to middle. Neither indicating their intention. Not being quantum they can’t occupy the same space at same time. Cue much horn beeping and sharp braking all round.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
On two-lane single-carriageway, no need to signal a return to left lane. Where else are you going to go?
Absolutely every other situation, signal. Could not pass my test without this, RAF.

I though the conventional wisdom was that while overtaking on a motorway, signalling before pulling out was essential, signalling that you are about to rejoin the original lane less so.

Or is that just another one of my dreadful habits? :laugh:

Alex321

Veteran
Blind spots !
Who these days turn their heads to look over their shoulders? Hardly any ! They just rely on their door mirrors which don't give the full picture of what is behind you or to the sides . An indication would give warning to anyone who may be in that blind spot.
Police ! Pah! Wiltshire police have decided that it it would improve road safety not to replace worn out road markings ! What numpties !
Their policy is that motorists will be confused and so be more cautious ! Balls ! People will just tear along going through road junctions and mini roundabouts as though they were not there at top speed !
Who comes up with these ideas ?
Why not give burglars your keys as it will save them damaging your property breaking in ? :angry:
Actually it has been shown that it can have a beneficial effect. It does tend to make drivers drive more catiously.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...l-road-markings-safer-fewer-accidents-drivers
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_space

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
In France I notice that drivers don't cancel their indicators after changing lanes but keep them on while performing an overtake.

I don't know why, just something I've noted.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Common in Italy, too.

Solocle

Über Member
When cycling I fully embrace the roadcraft approach to indicating. I've had nasty situations arise from signalling.

For instance, try turning right here. Remember that your right hand is for the front brake, and there's a nasty unsighted junction on the left!
1639259314465.png

Signalling on a bike reduces your control of the vehicle. So I only signal when it benefits another road user and is safe. If a signal could benefit another road user, but would be unsafe to give, well, f:bicycle:ing tough. If signalling won't benefit another road user, then potential danger is increased for no good reason. I try to be very communicative with my road positioning, which is another factor.

Depending on signals for your maneouvre to be safe is the height of folly. Signals should only ever be a courtesy, not a "I'm doing this and if you don't react we're going to crash".

In a car, I signal most of the time, excluding circumstances like one where I'm in a dedicated turning lane and I feel my movement is obvious. There's not the same loss of control.

Alex321

Veteran
Where is that
South Wales.

It is an RAF base, although most of the site is now commercial enterprises, the RAF only have a very limited presence nowadays. I live about 7 miles away,and cycle past it quite often.

St Athan and Cardiff Wales airport are only a couple of miles apart ia direct line, and visible from each other.

Biker man

When cycling I fully embrace the roadcraft approach to indicating. I've had nasty situations arise from signalling.

For instance, try turning right here. Remember that your right hand is for the front brake, and there's a nasty unsighted junction on the left!
View attachment 621592
Signalling on a bike reduces your control of the vehicle. So I only signal when it benefits another road user and is safe. If a signal could benefit another road user, but would be unsafe to give, well, f:bicycle:ing tough. If signalling won't benefit another road user, then potential danger is increased for no good reason. I try to be very communicative with my road positioning, which is another factor.

Depending on signals for your maneouvre to be safe is the height of folly. Signals should only ever be a courtesy, not a "I'm doing this and if you don't react we're going to crash".

In a car, I signal most of the time, excluding circumstances like one where I'm in a dedicated turning lane and I feel my movement is obvious. There's not the same loss of control.
Where I live there is a steep hill and I need to turn right ,there is a 30mph limit but average motorist does over 40 for me or anyone to turn right talking your hand off the handlebars is tricky and your left hand is braking is tricky to say the least after a few heart stopping moments I try to avoid the turn and go father on to try and turn around and come back to turn left.

Top Bottom