The new commuter - Kona Honky Inc 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
the rear picture is blurred, but you can just make out that they have put a double bend in the stay to make it go round the rear brake. I can get a better pic if needed.

on the front they have used a very large spacer at the braze on, it must be at least an inch long, to get the guard clear of the brakes. I think they have done a good job, far better than I could have done and all for free!

View attachment 8174
DSCF8210.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF8210.jpg
    DSCF8210.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 49

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
not sure if the picture of the front wheel loaded I will try again.

DSCF8211.jpg

simon.r

Person
I've done a very similar thing with the front guard on my disc braked Pompetamine and I used the 'sleeve' that Park allen keys come with as the spacer. Not suggesting anyone goes out and buys a new allen key to get a tuppenny bit of plastic, but if you have one lying around...

3691.jpg

potsy

Rambler
Got some semi-metallic pads from Disco Brakes for £5.25

Edit: oh yes. I did as suggested above somewhere and added a smidgeon of grease on the rear of the pads (no holes on the ones I got)
Ordered a couple of pairs of the semi-metallic for BB5's today, my front pads are starting to show signs of needing replacing after 1800 miles.
Worth a punt for £5.25 compared to the Avid originals :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hi, on the verge of ordering one of these lovely machines, just to confirm it does have a carbon fork? I know the spec on website says as much but sometimes they are incorrect.
Thanks,

Bill.

Certainly sounds like it when I tap it.
You won't regret buying one.
It's a lovely, smooth ride.
And it look's so damn good also.

im looking to purchase one mate. just wondering wheter or not it makes a good commuter. Hearing over here in the states that the racks must be modified to fit. is that true? also wondering whether or not youve done any off roading. im hoping the steel takes the edge off of some of the fire roads i plan to ride. thanks mate and have fun riding . sweet ride by the way

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
im looking to purchase one mate. just wondering wheter or not it makes a good commuter. Hearing over here in the states that the racks must be modified to fit. is that true? also wondering whether or not youve done any off roading. im hoping the steel takes the edge off of some of the fire roads i plan to ride. thanks mate and have fun riding . sweet ride by the way

I have a Honky Inc with a rack, and you will need to buy a disk specific rack which is a bit bigger than a normal one, it fits fine but looks ugly. It makes a superb commuter, i havent taken my Honky on any off road tracks, but I would imagine with the right tyres it would be OK on gravel paths. The Kona Payroll wheels are bomb proof an dwill cope with a bity of rough. It has a carbon fork so I wouldnt take it on anything too rough.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As what Beebo said above. Takes a disc specific rack.. but looks fugly.
I've given up on the rack and gone back to a rucksack. Not my preferable method but the bike deserve to look good and with a rack it just doesn't.

The same goes for mudguards. You either have to get bendy with the mudguard stays or like I have done, put on some raceblades that attache to the stays.

Put some tough 28 tyres on the thing and gravel tracks will not be a problem.

As far as I am concerned the Kona makes a perfect commuter. The steel makes for a very smooth ride on tarmac. Love it.

I test rode my honky this evening.it has a classic look and Very smooth. The guy in lbs said the frame was as good as reynolds 531 so some konas are still being made well. The payload wheels seem bomb proof. . I liked it so much that I am riding it home on monday.

How much does your 59 weigh? I read they're supposed to be a little on the heavy side, but do look like they'd cope with my commute rather nicely.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I haven't weighed it. But it has big strong wheels which weigh it down and the brakes add weight. That said it also has a carbon fork. Mine has full rack and mud guards so weight isn't the most important thing for me. I love the smooth ride and the peace of mind with the brakes. Overall it is still lighter than my trek hybrid and holds its own on SCR.

Top Bottom