The non-Brompton thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Interesting thread. I have a Dahon Mu Uno, it has a belt drive, rear coaster brake and a front rim brake. The main refinements have been Ergon grips, Schwalbe tyres and SKS guards.
Until recently the OEM folding pedals were fitted, however an unfortunate collapse of one resulted in their replacement with some made by MKS which are both easier to fold and stronger.
I found Lite Pro QR pedals to be nicer in every way than folders (size for bif feet, rigidity, compactness) but if you're not folding your steed so often it's probably not worth the bother.

Great colour!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I keep thinking of getting a Raleigh evo 2 folder , but not really sure i would use it much

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Booked on the overnight sleeper 3rd Jan. I'll ride the Intercity to Northampton Station, train to Euston, on to the sleeper, past back thru or very close to Northampton, wake up in Edinburgh, ride to my friend Keith's gaff.

I do like the whole folder-train-intermodal thing.

a tad frustrating it doesn't stop to pick up at MK or Rugby.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
It's about time I pitched in with this wonderful machine.

IMG_20231214_083135763.jpg

My Tern Link Uno, a single speed rear coaster brake hub and not much else. A bear bones bike that has realiably taken me to work and back these last eight years or so. These last weeks it's been ridden over snow and ice as well as through floods, hence it's current shabby mess.

As well as prophesying impending doom from failing hinge joints or welds, I was also told by a Brompton lover on here that I couldn't have cheap, light and strong. Well I'm sorry to say over eight years on from that prediction, not only has nothing structural failed, but I've experienced all of the other three.

This thing is cheap as chips to run, as well as purchase. It's lovely and light to ride, with a stiff frame and small wheels it's great for city riding. It's also easy to carry up and down train station stairs every day as well as easy and quick to fold. It's also proven itself to be tough and long lasting, spending most of its life outside and being used as a daily hack bike for quick runs to the supermarket or town. I genuinely don't know how many kilometres I've put in it, but it's thousands.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
As well as prophesying impending doom from failing hinge joints or welds, I was also told by a Brompton lover on here that I couldn't have cheap, light and strong.

That's funny! My new next door but one neighbour has a five year old Brompton, and upon seeing me arriving back on my folder the other day engaged me in conversation. He was moaning about the hinge being worn out on his own steed and asked what I thought of my ID9. I was sad to report the 9 is no longer available.

I did offer to look at the bike for him, but he said not to bother, a Brompton dealer had themselves diagnosed the fault.

Not wishing to turn it into a Brompie bashing thread - this is a thread of love and enlightenment - but a lot of Brompie owners tell my I can't do this, that or the other on my bike, and every single one of them has thus far been wrong.

Tell me, what is the coaster brake on the back your Tern like to use?

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Tell me, what is the coaster brake on the back your Tern like to use?

It's taken a bit of getting used to, to be fair, especially when you keep in mind left turns here are the same as right turns in the UK. So when I have my left arm out to indicate and move to the centre of the road, I only have the coaster brake to slow or control the bike, which can be interesting. It takes a fair bit of control and finesse, however, I've grown used to it and really like it now.

Once a year I also strip it down, clean it and re-pack it with grease. In eight years, I've had to replace the brake shoes and clutch, which cost me a grand total of €12 in parts. you really can't say fairer than that. Because it's a Shimano hub (CB110E), it uses a normal nexus cog for the drive, which costs €3 to replace. For an all weather commuter, having the brake internal is great, I'll never wear through the rear rim or have breaking affected by the weather.

The best part of it though? trackstands in traffic are a doddle and boy does it pull some wicked skids!

Paul_in_France

Hello All from another folding cyclist ...
I have two Dahon Speed D7 D9 in the fleet, another one in preparation and also a Speed P8.
This is my much hacked 2005 D7 D9, known as "Mr. Floppy":

IMG_0753.jpeg

I mainly use the Dahon to get me to my local station (25km) and then for commuting / touring when I get off - usually in another country. There are high speed trains in Europe that have no bicycle storage (hello Germany and Spain), but the folding Dahons will fit in their luggage racks, so they allow touring further away from home.

I have refined the following mods that allow me to ride comefortably over 100km / day in hilly terrain:
- rear wheel rebuilt with 126mm (7 spd) Shimano Hyperglide hub,
- 11-32 "9 from 10" cassette and 10 speed chain,
- 42t chainset (from those nice people in Spa Cycles),
- 50mm riser handlebars rolled forward 90° to give 50mm longer reach,
- Ergon style combined grips / bar ends,
- MKS removeable pedals with toe clips and straps

I am applying the same to other D7s in the fleet.

It has stood up well to thousands of kilometers, however I have a second hand on with a worn hinge so they do require more "mechanical sympathy" that non-folding machines.

abcd efg

Über Member
Hello All from another folding cyclist ...
I have two Dahon Speed D7 D9 in the fleet, another one in preparation and also a Speed P8.
This is my much hacked 2005 D7 D9, known as "Mr. Floppy":

View attachment 717568
I mainly use the Dahon to get me to my local station (25km) and then for commuting / touring when I get off - usually in another country. There are high speed trains in Europe that have no bicycle storage (hello Germany and Spain), but the folding Dahons will fit in their luggage racks, so they allow touring further away from home.

I have refined the following mods that allow me to ride comefortably over 100km / day in hilly terrain:
- rear wheel rebuilt with 126mm (7 spd) Shimano Hyperglide hub,
- 11-32 "9 from 10" cassette and 10 speed chain,
- 42t chainset (from those nice people in Spa Cycles),
- 50mm riser handlebars rolled forward 90° to give 50mm longer reach,
- Ergon style combined grips / bar ends,
- MKS removeable pedals with toe clips and straps

I am applying the same to other D7s in the fleet.

It has stood up well to thousands of kilometers, however I have a second hand on with a worn hinge so they do require more "mechanical sympathy" that non-folding machines.

I am amazed that you can lift your Dahon into an overhead luggage rack. Well done! I have an Airnimal Joey which weighs about 13kg. I most certainly couldn't lift it that high.

Cheers

chriswoody

Legendary Member
So today I stripped the rear hub, gave it a good old clean and re-packed it with grease. So this is what the inside of a Shimano CB E110 hub looks like:

IMG_20240102_131630624.jpg

One thing that I does intrigue me is why you don't see more single speed folders. I understand they not be for everyone, but they are rarer than hen's teeth. Tern no longer offers the Link Uno and Brompton, whilst briefly dallying with single speed no longer has a single speed as far as I know. Dahon as well have stopped offering single speed bikes in favour of derailleurs.

Paul_in_France

I am amazed that you can lift your Dahon into an overhead luggage rack. Well done! I have an Airnimal Joey which weighs about 13kg. I most certainly couldn't lift it that high.

Cheers

Ah ! Well I do have to admit that my arms do tire of carrying the Dahon when folded, and I keep it unfolded and on two wheels as much as possible.
Your comment did make me search my records, and I am embarressed to say that I haven't actually weighed the Dahon ... will report back as soon as I have. (I suspect that I may not like the number :ohmy: )

Top Bottom