The non-Brompton thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What do you think local dealers are good for? Brompton sells through local dealers in Germany since the early 90ies of last century. That's why they exist. You can get any bike in any configuration from the local dealer.

Good to know; I'll have to visit one when I get back. I've looked on the Brompton home page and found it very hard to navigate, as well as showing a worryingly wide range of bikes as "out of stock".

You want a folder which is a bike that differs from other bikes, i.e. in terms of the height of the luggage rack. Thus with most folders (including 20") existing bags like i.e. the big ortliebs do not fit or not fit perfectly (heelstrike, too close to the ground etc.).

A good point, that I hadn't considered, I'm not sure why as I had to set up the bas on my 26" wheeled tourer to avoid heel strike, and a smaller wheel would be worse. I guess that comes under "Obvious when you think about it".

This does change the equation and makes a Brompton seem more practical than previously.

I do have my doubts as most Terns do have 74mm old in the front while normal wheels have 100mm old (including most standard 20" wheels).

Good to know, and another point against the Tern I was looking at.

Don't know where you get a Shimano dynamo hub including a front wheel for 10€ if it is not stolen.

At work: I run a workshop recycling bicycles and the zerlegung (Dismantling) team keep an eye out for wheels with hub dynamos when a truck load of old bikes arrive from the recycling centre. if we attach a wheel with a hub dynamo on an existing bike to sell we add 10€, which I know is far less than the market value. We also have a box full of Shimano dynamos, and it's possible this warps my perception of "standard parts".

"frequent travelling, long distance trains and flights, internationally" - if it turns out this is no longer true this has obviously effects on the advice. Surprise.

This probably depends on the definition of "Frequent"; I haven't flown in many years but ageing parents mean I'm likely to fly at least once, possibly twice a year. This is "frequent" to some and "hardly ever" to others so I should have specified. My original question was because I realised if I have a folding bike I can travel south from Freiburg to Basel, cycle the 10k or so to the EuroAirport that serves Basel, Mulhouse, and Freiburg, fly to Manchester or Newcastle, use public transport to york and cycle from there to my parents.

Why would you leave it at home then? The whole idea and advantage of a Brompton is to take it with you.

True, but apart from my slightly obsessive need to use standard parts, Japan is a bout 70% mountains, which are steep. I'd be riding on and off road and in traffic, for longish distances. I'd rather take my tourer which has the range of gears to get me up hills, and more importantly, the brakes I know will stop me coming down too fast, and which can be repaired anywhere with locally available parts.

BTW: As you are in Freiburg and are now talking about local trains: There is no need for a folder then. Taking a bike with you on the train is free in Baden Württemberg most of the time in local trains:

https://www.radfahren-bw.de/service/anreise/fahrradmitnahme-im-nahverkehr/

https://www.bwegt.de/fileadmin/asse...inweise_Fahrradmitnahme_2022_barrierefrei.pdf

I travel every two weeks from Freiburg to Stuttgart with my touring bike and occasionally even my longtail, and have done for a couple of years now. However, in summer it gets crowded and there have been times when the trains are maxed out with normal bikes or just full of people, so it would be good to take up less space on occasion.

Last edited:
To slightly derail the conversation and upset both the B and non-B camps here’s my Dahon Mu XL sporting a Brompton Borough basket. The basket works very well (I have a widget on the Klick-Fix bosses on the head tube to accept the Brompton carrier block. Unfortunately the rear tyre decided to explode just as I got to my destination (my fault, it was well overdue being changed) and with a 2cm hole in the sidewall it was a walk home (fortunately not far or I might have caught the bus!). The bike is leaning against a Cyclists Dismount sign which seemed appropriate for the occasion.

IMG_4830.jpeg

(it’s only just occurred to me that the seatpost is actually a track pump too, should the p***** have been slow enough to allow repeated inflation! 🙄)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Try and get a ride, or at least a chance to inspect one close up Mr UK. I've steered a few folk that way since I bought mine and every one has been cock-a-hoop. I don't know how they do 9 speed, Sora, Hollowtech and hydro stoppers for the price either, but I'm glad they do.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Try and get a ride, or at least a chance to inspect one close up Mr UK. I've steered a few folk that way since I bought mine and every one has been cock-a-hoop. I don't know how they do 9 speed, Sora, Hollowtech and hydro stoppers for the price either, but I'm glad they do.

..and it's blue

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
My mate Kenny the Coder (he's a software engineer, strangely enough) has has recently bought a Dahon. He did tell me the model and what not but knowing little about their range it meant nothing to me.

Will be chucking mine in the car later this morning and bimbling over to Milton Keynes, were going to ride over to Willen Lake, do a lap, and then stop for a posh coffee before riding back. I'll see if I can blag a go on his steed at some point.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I saw this in Decathlon yesterday, a very innovative design with a single sided fork and rear triangle allowing a much more compact fold.
Interesting coincidence - I stumbled upon the same bike a couple of days ago.
Expensive though.
The pricing seems to be very weird.
UK: GBP 849
Germany: 849€
Austria: 670€
All at Decathlon.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I enjoyed my secondhand Tern a few years ago and found it fine for days out - up to 30 miles. The fold isn't brilliant but I took it on lots of trains without a problem.

It was cheap and fun. I was stupid to sell it.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Didn't stay out as long as we planned due to rain, and didn't get to ride the Dahon.

Other than the rim brakes (on an 800 quid bike in 2023, really?) It looked neat. We're meeting up again next week for another spin.

Interesting thread. I have a Dahon Mu Uno, it has a belt drive, rear coaster brake and a front rim brake. The main refinements have been Ergon grips, Schwalbe tyres and SKS guards.
Until recently the OEM folding pedals were fitted, however an unfortunate collapse of one resulted in their replacement with some made by MKS which are both easier to fold and stronger.
It had been laid up for about three years so I asked my LBS to give it the once over, they assured me that they could deal with belt drives etc and would remove bits and grease/oil them.
When collected, the belt drive was loose & the front brake seized after one journey! More worrying was when the pedal collapsed and I tried to remove it from the crank, it was patently obvious that grease had not been anywhere near it during the service the week before. That LBS will not be getting my custom again.
But, the bike itself is great!

Attachments

• IMG_4897.jpg
    IMG_4897.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 9

berlinonaut

Veteran
I saw this in Decathlon yesterday, a very innovative design with a single sided fork and rear triangle allowing a much more compact fold. Expensive though.

View attachment 701946

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/ultra-compact-1-second-light-folding-bike/_/R-p-306555

Someone on our forums tried it out and reported it would be awful to ride: Too little reach, too short wheelbase, play in the stem hinge while breaking. He said possibly no good for people taller than 1,60m.

Top Bottom