The non-Brompton thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Been to have another look at the Carrera Intercity. I feel my resolve weakening. The stepover is not that high. I was curious about the front luggage block but the guy at Halfords could only suggest that it "most likely" would use a Brompton one. Unfortunately only got the non disc models in stock, which don't have the luggage block holes, so I can't just measure them. Knowing what I've learned about Brompton and their jealously guarded designs I don't think so. I already have a Brompton bag, and a Brompton too, come to that and it would be great if I could use what I've got on the Carrera. However it seems more logical that the block fittings would be similar to Dahon or Tern bearing in mind the source of the frame. Has anyone used one, or have any information on this feature? There's not much info online, at least relating to the Carrera.

Dadam

Been to have another look at the Carrera Intercity. I feel my resolve weakening. The stepover is not that high. I was curious about the front luggage block but the guy at Halfords could only suggest that it "most likely" would use a Brompton one. Unfortunately only got the non disc models in stock, which don't have the luggage block holes, so I can't just measure them. Knowing what I've learned about Brompton and their jealously guarded designs I don't think so. I already have a Brompton bag, and a Brompton too, come to that and it would be great if I could use what I've got on the Carrera. However it seems more logical that the block fittings would be similar to Dahon or Tern bearing in mind the source of the frame. Has anyone used one, or have any information on this feature? There's not much info online, at least relating to the Carrera.

I haven't bought or tried one yet but I have this item saved in my Amazon list as I've been informed it fits the ID8/9 and Brompton luggage.
In any case, Brompton might jealously guard their designs but trying to suggest 2 threaded holes X mm apart is their unique IP might be a stretch.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member

It's a Tern type luggage block lug. I bought one, never fitted it due to moving house, and it's still boxed up somewhere.

Provided the hole spacings on the boss are the same it would theoretically rake a Brompton type block. Let me know and I'd be happy to measure the hole spacing for you.

If anyone is interested my rear carrier is from Dedethlon, ordered online. A perfect fit.

The non disc intercity is a totally different bike. Less sophisticated frame design. That said, it's very well equipped and the reviews have been reasonable enough.

But if you want one that goes like the wind and stops on a sixpence thennrhe disc is soooooooo worth it. I've ridden few bikes of any type that are as much fun to hoon about on, as I'm sure my fellow owners above will confirm.

a.twiddler

Veteran
According to the link posted by @Dadam the Brompton fitting is 39mm between the furthest edges of the 2 M5 holes, or 39mm between the furthest edges of the 3 M6 holes for Dahon, Tern, etc. for a universal type block. I haven't taken my Brompton block off to measure them but if the Carrera has the same set up then it's very promising. I'd be most obliged if @Drago would measure those dimensions for me.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
30mm centre to centre.

My 'tern' block has one round hole and one slot, so will fit. You could conceivably drill a second hole in a Brompton block if you had Brompton luggage you wanted to use.

a.twiddler

Veteran
That link also gives "fit" size for Brompton as 30.5mm, so within spitting distance. Running out of reasons not to buy one (apart from the wrath of Mrs T)!

Dadam

Yep 30mm or thereabouts c-to-c and M5 holes

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Just to confirm...
IMG_20240306_211235755.jpg

Fastpedaller

An update about the Rockbros quick release pedals which arrived today....
They appear to be better quality than I expected (time will tell.)
The quick release mechanism (have they a dedicated name?) has a 'cylindrical sleeve' which moves the retaining peg. Because it only moves at a specific point (press the white dot area) and is between the two 'sides' the chances of accidentally pressing it with a foot are zero or less :laugh:The qr threads are a perfect fit to my Spa cranks, and are tightened using a 8mm allen key. As can be seen the inner end of the axle is also 8mm hex. I removed the end cap using a 6mm allen key (oops... no warranty ;) ) and revealed the bearings - Inboard one is a DU bush type with plenty of grease (surprise about the grease!) and the outboard one is a small sealed race. I added some semi-fluid grease in the hope it may enter this bearing which appeared to be dry (no surprise) and replaced the dustcap. I'll try them out another day. I'm pleasantly surprised for an outlay of just over £20 delivered to the door they seem excellent. The hunt is still on for SPD ones for the Brompton. I don't want to pay nearly £100 for SPD ones which from the description may have the same bearings. Given a bit more time I think budget SPD qr pedals will arrive (google and people in other lands are watching :ohmy:). ETA .... one caution! As the pedal axle is inserted it's important to ensure the axle is fully home in the qr and the 'white dot part' has returned to its position (Just attempting to pull the pedal out will give reassurance)

I went for a ride yesterday on the Rudge Montague with the Rockbros pedals...They felt good (much better than the previous alloy and plastic cheap folding pedals). I wouldn't have noticed the existence of the plain inner bearings. I rode the local disused railway track but only did about 5 miles. Stopping at half-way to check there was nothing untoward with the pedals, and admiring the scenery and a total of 5 muntjac deer!
I checked the pedals after the ride. Observations.... 1) I thought there was play in the bearings, because the outer part of the pedal could move about 2mm, but on closer examination this was due to movement of the axle/hex within the quick release. I expected this (and indeed suspect it's a feature of all these type of pedals) because there cannot be a perfect fit without an interference which would preclude removal. The 2mm play at the outside of the pedal suggests the play between the axle and the qr is microscopic - The pedals certainly feel 'solid' at the feet. Talking of which - these are the larger pedals of the 2 offerings from Rockbros, and the width dimension 102mm quoted is the total width from inner end of axle (ie inside of crank) to the outside of the pedal, but the pedal platform is 70mm wide. I'd have preferred maybe 10mm wider platforms and the Stanley 'totector type' trainers I was wearing at the time are wider than most, but pedalling was still quite manageable. My verdict (as long as the bearings don't fall apart) is that they are a good purchase at £20, and fulfil the prime objective of being easily removable.

According to the link posted by @Dadam the Brompton fitting is 39mm between the furthest edges of the 2 M5 holes, or 39mm between the furthest edges of the 3 M6 holes for Dahon, Tern, etc. for a universal type block. I haven't taken my Brompton block off to measure them but if the Carrera has the same set up then it's very promising. I'd be most obliged if @Drago would measure those dimensions for me.

I have a Brompton block on my Dahon - I bought a (metal) adaptor plate from Etsy and fitted the standard Brompton block to that. Great solution as I can use my various Brommie bags on the Dahon. The advantage over direct fitment is that it also lifts the bag up and out a bit which would otherwise interfere with brake cables and wheel. I suspect the headtube fitting is for R+K Klickfix mounting brackets (you’d need the vertical tube version for this application.

This earlier posted picture of my Dahon MuXL Sport hopefully illustrates it (showing B. Shopper bag). Very useful as a giant cyclist‘s nose bag for on ride refuelling…

1710106610045.jpeg

teaboy

Über Member
I have a Brompton block on my Dahon - I bought a (metal) adaptor plate from Etsy and fitted the standard Brompton block to that. Great solution as I can use my various Brommie bags on the Dahon. The advantage over direct fitment is that it also lifts the bag up and out a bit which would otherwise interfere with brake cables and wheel. I suspect the headtube fitting is for R+K Klickfix mounting brackets (you’d need the vertical tube version for this application.

This earlier posted picture of my Dahon MuXL Sport hopefully illustrates it (showing B. Shopper bag). Very useful as a giant cyclist‘s nose bag for on ride refuelling…

View attachment 724067

a.twiddler

Veteran
Thanks for all the responses re the Carrera Intercity headstock bag mount. I've just discovered that the Disc 8 has gone up to £350 which is a pain. I did go to a local branch of Halfords which had one on display but due to having to faff about with getting a car problem fixed this week I wasn't able to get back to them in time. I will keep an eye out for further reductions later in the year.

Top Bottom