The non-Brompton thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Strange... I typed a message the other evening pointing out that Halfords have lowered the price of the 8-speed Intercity to only £280, but there is no sign of it! Perhaps I forgot to click Post Reply? :wacko:

Interesting. If the Urbano/Intercity is essentially the same bike, rides decently and the discs are not a pain to keep adjusted, it's quite appealing at the price. One of the drawbacks of rim brakes on smalI wheeled bikes (whether actual or perceived) is the potential for rapid rim wear, which the disc brake addresses. Is that a Brompton style luggage block I see on the head tube? If its genes are from Dahon, perhaps a Dahon pattern one. Adaptors are available, if you have some Brompton bags. I would need mudguards, maybe a rack, though if the luggage block is properly useable, a rack is not essential. It might fulfil the role of a modern Dahon Speed, if you can get past the aluminium vs steel frame.
Does this have a freewheel, or a cassette?

a.twiddler

Veteran
I've been to have a look at the Carrera Intercity at Halfords. It has quite a high step over for a folder which sort of defeats the object of having a small wheeler, at least for me. Probably not an obstacle to the loftier types out there.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've been to have a look at the Carrera Intercity at Halfords. It has quite a high step over for a folder which sort of defeats the object of having a small wheeler, at least for me. Probably not an obstacle to the loftier types out there.

I was looking at one but now not as they don't do the blue disc brake version anymore by the looks of things.
And damned if I'll buy a yuk red colour (red bikes go slower).
I'll keep an eye out on the bay for a blue one.

a.twiddler

Veteran
It was the red that caught my eye. That and several reviews praising the ride quality. It might be that having that high main tube is what contributes to the ride quality, particularly for taller or heavier riders. Many small wheelers have the main part of the frame noticeably low down, giving the seat post and handlebar stem plenty of scope to flex.

Fastpedaller

An update about the Rockbros quick release pedals which arrived today....
They appear to be better quality than I expected (time will tell.)
The quick release mechanism (have they a dedicated name?) has a 'cylindrical sleeve' which moves the retaining peg. Because it only moves at a specific point (press the white dot area) and is between the two 'sides' the chances of accidentally pressing it with a foot are zero or less :laugh:The qr threads are a perfect fit to my Spa cranks, and are tightened using a 8mm allen key. As can be seen the inner end of the axle is also 8mm hex. I removed the end cap using a 6mm allen key (oops... no warranty ;) ) and revealed the bearings - Inboard one is a DU bush type with plenty of grease (surprise about the grease!) and the outboard one is a small sealed race. I added some semi-fluid grease in the hope it may enter this bearing which appeared to be dry (no surprise) and replaced the dustcap. I'll try them out another day. I'm pleasantly surprised for an outlay of just over £20 delivered to the door they seem excellent. The hunt is still on for SPD ones for the Brompton. I don't want to pay nearly £100 for SPD ones which from the description may have the same bearings. Given a bit more time I think budget SPD qr pedals will arrive (google and people in other lands are watching :ohmy:). ETA .... one caution! As the pedal axle is inserted it's important to ensure the axle is fully home in the qr and the 'white dot part' has returned to its position (Just attempting to pull the pedal out will give reassurance)

Attachments

• DSCI0210.JPG
    DSCI0210.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCI0211.JPG
    DSCI0211.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCI0212.JPG
    DSCI0212.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCI0213.JPG
    DSCI0213.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCI0214.JPG
    DSCI0214.JPG
    220.3 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCI0216.JPG
    DSCI0216.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCI0217.JPG
    DSCI0217.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Woldy

An update about the Rockbros quick release pedals which arrived today....
They appear to be better quality than I expected (time will tell.)
The quick release mechanism (have they a dedicated name?) has a 'cylindrical sleeve' which moves the retaining peg. Because it only moves at a specific point (press the white dot area) and is between the two 'sides' the chances of accidentally pressing it with a foot are zero or less :laugh:The qr threads are a perfect fit to my Spa cranks, and are tightened using a 8mm allen key. As can be seen the inner end of the axle is also 8mm hex. I removed the end cap using a 6mm allen key (oops... no warranty ;) ) and revealed the bearings - Inboard one is a DU bush type with plenty of grease (surprise about the grease!) and the outboard one is a small sealed race. I added some semi-fluid grease in the hope it may enter this bearing which appeared to be dry (no surprise) and replaced the dustcap. I'll try them out another day. I'm pleasantly surprised for an outlay of just over £20 delivered to the door they seem excellent. The hunt is still on for SPD ones for the Brompton. I don't want to pay nearly £100 for SPD ones which from the description may have the same bearings. Given a bit more time I think budget SPD qr pedals will arrive (google and people in other lands are watching :ohmy:). ETA .... one caution! As the pedal axle is inserted it's important to ensure the axle is fully home in the qr and the 'white dot part' has returned to its position (Just attempting to pull the pedal out will give reassurance)

Newbie to the thread (and forum here). Where abouts did you buy the pedals - Aliexpress or Ebay? Out of interest, what is the semi fluid grease you use? I've never come across that and can think of a few scenarios it would be handy for. Any cheap recommendations please? (I'm also in the UK).

I was looking at some Litepro ones. I'm not sure which of the 2 different designs would be better, but I like the look of yours more - I think they'd be more comfortable.

Fastpedaller

Newbie to the thread (and forum here). Where abouts did you buy the pedals - Aliexpress or Ebay? Out of interest, what is the semi fluid grease you use? I've never come across that and can think of a few scenarios it would be handy for. Any cheap recommendations please? (I'm also in the UK).

I was looking at some Litepro ones. I'm not sure which of the 2 different designs would be better, but I like the look of yours more - I think they'd be more comfortable.

They were from Ebay.co.uk. cbrsports
The semi-fluid grease was an aerosol I bought a few years ago and was sold as motorcycle chain lube. I wasn't aware of semi-fluid grease until I saw mention of it on the Cycling UK forum - If you do a search on that forum there is a lot of info. BTW there are 2 different Rockbros designs available from cbr - the other one is smaller than the one I bought. I've not tried them out yet (will the rain ever stop). The only concern I have is with the plain bearing - I believe most other qr pedals have similar (I don't know about the Litepro ones, but Drago reports in an earlier note that his have been good for 2 years). At £20 I thought the Rockbros were worth a punt - only time will tell.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Question regarding chain lube - wet or dry?
So far I've only been using the dry lube on my Intercity 9 due to being kept indoors and not wanting to get oil on the carpet/furniture or myself while carrying it when folded. Due to the weather this year this seems to be getting washed off very quickly resulting in a noisy drive train (as I found out yesterday with Milton Keynes multitude of underpasses), so I'm thinking of using a wet lube (Finish Line Ceramic Wet) instead. Anyone have any problems with wet lube on their folder?

Top Bottom