The non-Brompton thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't know for sure, not had mine apart. I believe bearings from the manner in which they spin.

Fastpedaller

QR pedals on now. very pleased with these, thanks @Drago. They suit the bike, whereas I thought the MKS looked huge and blocky. Really positive engagement but easy to attach and detach. It does seem unlikely they would spontaneously detach but being a fairly safety conscious kind of guy I’ve put the plastic clips on anyway.

View attachment 721959

Do the pedals 'rock' within the quick release fitting when pedalling, or are they a very tight fit?

Fastpedaller

They're very solid within the fitting.

Thanks. They certainly seem to be reducing in price! I've seen some Rockbros ones on Ebay that have good reviews (can they be relied upon?) .....alas no spd ones, but certainly more selection than were available last time I looked a few months ago. The 'keepers' to hold the pedal once it's detached seem like a good addition!

Dadam

Do the pedals 'rock' within the quick release fitting when pedalling, or are they a very tight fit?

I've only pedalled mine up and down the drive so far but seem very solid indeed. Time will tell how much wear will be a factor.
The spring loaded collar seats ball bearings against a tapered ridge, pulling the pedal shaft into the receiver part. I haven't got the calipers out but I'm guessing the surfaces are very slightly tapered for a solid lockup that should compensate a little for wear.

Last edited:

Fastpedaller

I'd also want one of these, so that I didn't lose/forget the pedal after I've removed it.
s-l64.jpg

But it looks as though the 'spike' on the pedal axle can vary for different makes, so how easy is it to get the correct one (says I that don't even have the pedals yet)

Fastpedaller

I was glued to the keyboard until midnight (against my better judgement) researching quick release pedals! It's seems they all use plain bearings of some sort (ie no ball bearings) - a clue is if comparing the body of the pedal to the axle it can be seen there isn't room for cup/cone and balls or a race of any sort. Describing them as 'sealed bearings' could be seen as a little misleading, although not entirely untrue. So in a nutshell the bearing quality (as with any bearings) is variable in quality, but in this case isn't adjustable in any way.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Mine certainly have room for small bearings, but I've never had them apart so can neither confirm or deny.

I can however confirm they spin quietly and smoothly and have survived two years of a near 20 stone chap stamping all over them, so if they are plain they're very finely machined and matched, and have low friction bushes of some kind.

I'm going to drill and thread a hole in mine to act as a grease port in the manner of V8/V12 type pedals. Drill hole, tap it, insert a small Allen screw to blank it.

Fastpedaller

Mine certainly have room for small bearings, but I've never had them apart so can neither confirm or deny.

I can however confirm they spin quietly and smoothly and have survived two years of a near 20 stone chap stamping all over them, so if they are plain they're very finely machined and matched, and have low friction bushes of some kind.

I'm going to drill and thread a hole in mine to act as a grease port in the manner of V8/V12 type pedals. Drill hole, tap it, insert a small Allen screw to blank it.

That seems testament enough! My opinion (for what it's worth) is that care needs to be taken over what lubrication to use - If the bearings are plain ones of a PTFE material then they may be damaged by a mineral grease, and a silicone or ptfe type oil may be a better choice. To be clear are your pedals "Litepro"?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I have some silicone oil I bought from the middle at Lidl that I've been trying to find a use for...

Aye lad, the Litepro ones identical to Dadam's.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I really wish that bike was available elsewhere in the world.
I have a need for a bike in NZ that will fit into a small space - like the boot of a Yaris or the luggage area of a Cessna 172. And I don't fancy lugging the Br****on down there and back. Again.

Top Bottom