The non-Brompton thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Good call! Sadly, Evocycles.co.nz stock Polygon bikes, but not the folder.
I don't think there's much of an NZ market for folders, as commuting by rail is barely a thing.
Decathlon were due to open in Auckland in early 2020, but the thing that happened, happened, and that was that!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The Polygon Urbano 5 is the same bike with a different paint job, mechanically identical, might be available in NZ.
They reckon that the bike is only for people whose height is 150-170 cm!!! (That is clearly wrong, and would lose them a lot of potential customers.)

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
It's wrong for sure. Aside from paint they're identical...

2022-carrera-intercity-disc-9-speed-folding-bike.jpg

polygon-urbano-5-2023.jpeg

I'm a smidge under 6'4", about 192cm, and that's about as tall as you'd want to go....which is a goodly bit more than 170cm.

Dadam

Maybe the Polygon has a shorter seatpost. I'm a leggy 6'3" and I run the ID9 seatpost about 5mm higher than the max line 😱 It's perfectly ok for most folks but ideally it would offer another 15mm.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Been browsing the Polygon website. It seems Polygon use "ALX" on the Urbano 5 (ID9), their own heat treated blend of ally based upon 6061. Hydroformed and triple butted, no less. No wonder the damn things feel so stiff and lively.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Does the seatpost on the Carrera go higher?
I'd be wanting the bike to be a bit more dropped aero. Looks a bit too sit up and beg from the pics.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
The seat goes high enough for my 33" inside leg with the max line just hidden. The handlebars have a 1-2 inch height adjustment, but they're designed for comfort not aero. I have done a 50k ride on some of Suffolk & Norfolk's worst back roads on mine in comfort.

Dadam

I'd be wanting the bike to be a bit more dropped aero. Looks a bit too sit up and beg from the pics.
The steerer is telescopic and the bars go down a little bit more than those 2 pics. It's got about 40mm total adjustment. Mine has the seat about 50mm higher than the bars but I think the problem is really that the short reach means you're going to be fairly sit up and beg regardless of seat position.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member

My seat post is on the max mark and fits my 35 inch inside leg perfectly. I'm pretty much right on the upper side limit I guess.

The bars in the photo are at their highest position - zoom in on the pic and you'll see how they telescope in near the top of the stem - as on the last ride I was in traffic and wanted to be a little more upright, but they drop about 2 inches and do feel quite racy down there.

IMG_20240215_132119069.jpg

I simply adore this bike.

Last edited:

Fastpedaller

That seems testament enough! My opinion (for what it's worth) is that care needs to be taken over what lubrication to use - If the bearings are plain ones of a PTFE material then they may be damaged by a mineral grease, and a silicone or ptfe type oil may be a better choice. To be clear are your pedals "Litepro"?

I've been (yet again) searching for info and found a youtube video of

Promend PD R67Q​

pedals, which shows a dismantling taking place and reveals 3 small sealed bearing races - so I stand corrected, as these pedals appear to be another 'rebadged' version of others. My earlier assumptions these style of pedal only contain DU bearings may well be incorrect.

Fastpedaller

I've put my hand in my pocket! and ordered a pair of the Rockbros quick-release pedals from Ebay, so I'll give a verdict on them in due course. I may even get the tools out and delve into them to see what bearings they have and add some lubrication for good measure. They aren't my 'target' (SPD) pedals but I'll try them out on the Rudge Montague which has folding pedals of the plastic variety which always seem very floppy, although they do function quite well and the bearings are reasonable (after I greased them and loosened them a tad when they were new)

Top Bottom