The notorious wheel-set..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Right..

Calling all T3 owners that have had wheel-set trouble; please give me some tips on how to improve their lifespan.

Thanks!
C

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
As soon as you receive the bike (before riding), remove the wheels, take off the tyres and tubes,and put the wheels in a cardboard box in the shed and forget about them......Replace with a decent set of Fulcrum/Shimano/Mavic etc.

*based on other Decathlon wheels this is the best way forward. Lovely bikes, but the wheels are made of cheese.

OP
OP
C

Chescadence

As soon as you receive the bike (before riding), remove the wheels, take off the tyres and tubes,and put the wheels in a cardboard box in the shed and forget about them......Replace with a decent set of Fulcrum/Shimano/Mavic etc.

*based on other Decathlon wheels this is the best way forward. Lovely bikes, but the wheels are made of cheese.

Thanks- not entirely helpful though ;)

I've ridden a lot on the current wheels with no sign of wear (yet), they're doing fine but I need a treatment to make them last longer so I can afford a decent wheel-set. Some of us are unfortunately not blessed with the finances to buy a bike and throw away a perfectly usable wheelset; if I can do something to get a year out of these I'll definitely be doing it- after all, I paid for them.

C

Kies

No issues with my wheels,will upgrade at the first sign of trouble. Hoping to grease the hubs this weekend,but not much else

Kies

I hear talk of 14 and 15mm spanners .... Not a bike techy, so ler me come back to you Sunday afternion after i have had a go

OP
OP
C

Chescadence

I hear talk of 14 and 15mm spanners .... Not a bike techy, so ler me come back to you Sunday afternion after i have had a go

Is that simple? I read that i was a complicating job taking them all apart and greasing them without bodging it..

Do let me know how it goes and I might give mine a seeing to!

C

Is that simple? I read that i was a complicating job taking them all apart and greasing them without bodging it..

Do let me know how it goes and I might give mine a seeing to!

C
I'm not a very technically minded person but I cleaned and greased my hubs the other day and was surprised how simple I found it. Watch a few videos on YouTube.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Pretty much the same as keeping all wheels working well. Open, clean and re-grease the hubs, Get a decent spoke key and regularly check the trueness of the wheels, and keep the rims and brake pads clean.

When you open up the hubs it may be worth getting a few spare ball bearings to replace any that are damaged/poorly manufactured.

Here's a link for servicing hubs: -
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/hub-overhaul-and-adjustment

Globalti

Legendary Member
Definitely grease the bearings.

It has just struck me that if you weren't feeling confident about dismantling then reassembling them, a quick fix might be to spray in some of that aerosol white grease because it comes out runny with the propellant, which evaporates quickly leaving the grease in place. You could probably get a good dose of it into the bearings where it would stay.

210utXkLD1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Might also be worth checking the spoke tension.

You can get a tension metre for about £50... or spin the wheel and slowly, put a fingernail to the spokes and listen.

All "tings" is good.

Ting, ting, ting, TONG is bad.

EDIT: Quick poll: Should I write a bike maintenance book?

OP
OP
C

Chescadence

Thanks guys, especially for the links!

I'm going to have a good swat up on some videos/information sites and have a go at greasing my hubs when I get chance; might spray on some stuff as suggested for the interim.

I'm pretty confident I wont cock up greasing the hubs; just need to make sure I've read up enough!

Cheers!
C

Top Bottom