The old argument of wearing a cycle helmet. For & against.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
Of course it will, it always does! :-(

Some well meaning but ill informed person will say how wonderful helmets are/ we all need to wear one.
That demands a response , if only to show that it's not as cut and dried as some bodies would like to have us all think, and then come the usual, predicatable response. No one is as fed up as it as me, but the key is to stop the intial ,well meaning, but ill informed post once that is made there is no going back until the tread peters out.

I can't disagree. I shall never force anyone to wear a cycling helmet ( except for my children) and it's all about personnel choice. Most I think try to draw from personal or associated experiences which appear never to have been included as part of any stats. IMO that's when we end up with the tit for tat stuff. I can get really carried away and have been blocked by a couple of users after I responded childishly to their perceived ignorance, arrogance or rudeness. Again, even with that, it's my own perception.

Many times it is much harder to listen than to talk. We all like to take the solution to the party
blush.gif

How very dated your response is! What part of .... did you not ...... what ever effect you tried is lost on this thick skin
wave.gif

Much less dated than your smear tactic

Are you saying that you dispute that any helmet has averted head injury in any circumstances

in response to my post that directly acknowledged that a helmet could avert a head injury

So why did you do it?

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
I can't disagree. I shall never force anyone to wear a cycling helmet ( except for my children) and it's all about personnel choice. Most I think try to draw from personal or associated experiences which appear never to have been included as part of any stats. IMO that's when we end up with the tit for tat stuff. I can get really carried away and have been blocked by a couple of users after I responded childishly to their perceived ignorance, arrogance or rudeness. Again, even with that, it's my own perception.

Many times it is much harder to listen than to talk. We all like to take the solution to the party
blush.gif

But that's the point, those personal experiences are included in the stats, but people tend to think that their info is more important /realistic than everyone elses! The bit I find really odd is the way that helmets are held in such high esteem in both directions, have a bump on a brittle (UV/Hydrocarbon exposure) and the helmets " It saved my life!!!!!!!!" , have a bad accident and suffer concussion and serious injuries " It could have been my skull cracked!" there never seems to be any thought whatsoever after these incidents simply wonderment at the power of the great goddess Polly Styrene. I wonder what their reaction to electric light would have been , or moving pictures if they were adults when they first appeared.

Most I think try to draw from personal or associated experiences which appear never to have been included as part of any stats.

Of course medicine used to be based on personal and associated experiences too. Apparently bleeding and carrying posies are good for curing and warding off illnesses respectively while smoking is good for your respiration. I prefer to be guided by the statistical evidence rather than personal anecdotes but you are free to make your own choice.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
Yes and me, change the chain on the Brompton and drop this months chain in the spirit! Ooops there I go, another controversy!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Attachments

• laugh.gif
    laugh.gif
    771 bytes · Views: 53
  • laugh.gif
    laugh.gif
    771 bytes · Views: 49
  • laugh.gif
    laugh.gif
    771 bytes · Views: 55
  • laugh.gif
    laugh.gif
    771 bytes · Views: 51
  • laugh.gif
    laugh.gif
    771 bytes · Views: 47

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
Or even answer the question which I noticed you have tried to bluster your way out of.

Didn't I already mention anal posters? Nah I hate to repeat myself, myself,myself,myself ................ time to bluster my way to maintaining my bike. I don't want to be dragged down to the keyboard warrior status of others. Is that smearing? I don't think so but would love a second opinion
I find it difficult to understand those with only a scientific approach to their locker ............ nothing to me is ever that defined
Why not take advantage of the great weather and do something bike like
cool.gif

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
and so i thought but now they say it does not.

I feel safer, therefore I ride more relaxed and natural when I ride. For me the helmet is +1

Others think it affects balance or understand the results of an accident to be more severe should they wear a helmet. Their more natural stance is therefore non helmet. Each to their own.

It's all about choice and whilst we have a choice every rider will and should exercise their choice to wear one or not.

On the flip side, should wearing a helmet be made compulsory by law would all those riders who have loved and enjoyed the sport for many a year, simply stop cycling in protest or find that the new restriction will no longer allow them to continue riding? I personally think we are heading towards the compulsory wearing of helmets and I shall watch that one with interest.

I feel safer, therefore I ride more relaxed and natural when I ride. For me the helmet is +1

Others think it affects balance or understand the results of an accident to be more severe should they wear a helmet. Their more natural stance is therefore non helmet. Each to their own.

It's all about choice and whilst we have a choice every rider will and should exercise their choice to wear one or not.

On the flip side, should wearing a helmet be made compulsory by law would all those riders who have loved and enjoyed the sport for many a year, simply stop cycling in protest or find that the new restriction will no longer allow them to continue riding? I personally think we are heading towards the compulsory wearing of helmets and I shall watch that one with interest.

Experience shows a drop of up to 40% in some groups when compulsion came in

The saddest thing is that in looking at compulsion as an answer we are avoiding many of the more effective improvements that would make a difference in favour of a cosmetic sticking plaster to act as a superficial cover

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
Experience shows a drop of up to 40% in some groups when compulsion came in

The saddest thing is that in looking at compulsion as an answer we are avoiding many of the more effective improvements that would make a difference in favour of a cosmetic sticking plaster to act as a superficial cover

Good point!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom