The old argument of wearing a cycle helmet. For & against.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I don't have the reference to hand, I will withdraw the statement until I can verify it.
I do remember that a minister in a previous government made that comment off the record, and I think it was over 50%. Who he was I can't recall and there is no way of knowing whether it was governmeny policy at the time or just his personal opinion.

The present administration seem to be taking a more relaxed view regarding one's personal 'elf & safety, so maybe the tide is turning in a sensible direction.

I do remember that a minister in a previous government made that comment off the record, and I think it was over 50%. Who he was I can't recall and there is no way of knowing whether it was governmeny policy at the time or just his personal opinion.

The present administration seem to be taking a more relaxed view regarding one's personal 'elf & safety, so maybe the tide is turning in a sensible direction.

I remember this, and it was part of the debate over Eric Matrlew's helmet compulsion bill

it will be in Hansard somewhere

david k

Hi
I feel safer, therefore I ride more relaxed and natural when I ride. For me the helmet is +1

Others think it affects balance or understand the results of an accident to be more severe should they wear a helmet. Their more natural stance is therefore non helmet. Each to their own.

It's all about choice and whilst we have a choice every rider will and should exercise their choice to wear one or not.

On the flip side, should wearing a helmet be made compulsory by law would all those riders who have loved and enjoyed the sport for many a year, simply stop cycling in protest or find that the new restriction will no longer allow them to continue riding? I personally think we are heading towards the compulsory wearing of helmets and I shall watch that one with interest.

arrhhh, thats a good point well made

snorri

Legendary Member
On the flip side, should wearing a helmet be made compulsory by law would all those riders who have loved and enjoyed the sport for many a year, simply stop cycling in protest or find that the new restriction will no longer allow them to continue riding?

I think compulsion would have only minimal effect on cycle sport, a high proportion of adherents already wear helmets. It's the cycling for transport and leisure people that have most to lose.

david k

Hi
I think compulsion would have only minimal effect on cycle sport, a high proportion of adherents already wear helmets. It's the cycling for transport and leisure people that have most to lose.

dont think he meant competitive sport as such, but the 'sport' of cycling, therefore everyone

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
dont think he meant competitive sport as such, but the 'sport' of cycling, therefore everyone

+1

Sorry for any confusion
blush.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom