The older I get , the more I despise driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Years ago when I first past my driving test ,.I actually used to enjoy driving and heading off somewhere for a day out. Everything back then seemed so much easier. Parking , the lack of heavy traffic, tailgating and aggressive driving all seemed to be rare occurrences. Nowadays though driving the car is more like a chore as apposed to enjoyment. Even the simplest things like buying petrol are a pain in the back side ,with waiting in a long queues that often extends into the main road. , Gone are the days where the garage attendant would come out and fill your car up and have a chat with you for 5 minutes. Its now a case wait your turn ,.fill.up and pay your money in some sterile ,high turn over multi national garage. The traffic on our roads is now at virtually saturation point ,where you need eyes like an iguana ,pointing in every direction for hazards and danger. This combined with parking problems, the cost of insurance and cars, that are now virtually electronic boxes on four wheels that make them nay on impossible for the diy mechanics to get his hands dirty in a sunday morning.
No wonder people are turning to cycling in great numbers. There simple to work on in the comfort of your back garden, they cost next to nothing to maintain and no constant money out goings on fuel and insurance/tax and most importantly no parking problems. The benefits of cyling just go on and on. My work is around 16 miles away from home ,and if it wasn't for the dangerous A road ,I would cycle there most days but I would fear to much for my own safety using it on a regular basis. Traffic congestion is not going to go away for many years to come and it makes me wonder if this big resurgence in cycling will no doubt keep on growing at its incredible rate.uhh

Last edited:

simon.r

Person
I feel exactly the same.

20 years ago if I had to drive a couple of hundred miles in a day I'd actually look forward to it. Nowadays I dread it. I have to drive for work (about 15,000 miles a year), but my private mileage is about 1,000 miles a year, if that.

I'm hoping to retire in a year or so and I'm looking forward to handing my company car back.

Last edited:

Tin Pot

Guru
I like driving, but I do it by choice. I've been driving for about ten years, driving in Europe is much better than southern England.

Part of our route through France and Spain in the family mobile
IMG_8126.PNG

Car ferry near Bordeaux
IMG_8205.JPG

Champagne
IMG_8327.JPG
IMG_8365.JPG
Exmoor
IMG_8547.JPG
IMG_8592.JPG

snorri

Legendary Member
it makes me wonder if this big resurgence in cycling will no doubt keep on growing at its incredible rate.
There is little, if any, evidence of any resurgence around here.
I'm not sure that I can wait for congestion and queues at petrol stations to build up before any growth in cycling begins to appear:sad:.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I find it a case of, I drive because I have to nowadays and not because I want to.

^^^ This

I now only drive when I have to - most weekends the car is parked up on a Friday night and won't move again until Monday morning. The supermarket shop is delivered and any thing we need in between is bought from shops within walking distance of either work or home.

Globalti

Legendary Member
In the old days I used to leave work on Friday and jump on the motorway to go away for a weekend climbing or walking or cycling. Before we met Mrs Gti used to drive up to Stornoway to dive. You'd be mad to attempt anything like that now, next weekend we are going to Salisbury for a family wedding so we are flying to Southampton and hiring a car.

Top Bottom