The older I get , the more I despise driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
What car?

Any car, I just dislike driving.I learned a long time ago that I was fed up with driving and not fed up with the car I was driving. I have owned and driven in excess of 5,000 cars since I started driving so that could well effect my feeling towards the metal box.

Crankarm

Guru
Years ago when I first past my driving test ,.I actually used to enjoy driving and heading off somewhere for a day out. Everything back then seemed so much easier. Parking , the lack of heavy traffic, tailgating and aggressive driving all seemed to be rare occurrences. Nowadays though driving the car is more like a chore as apposed to enjoyment. Even the simplest things like buying petrol are a pain in the back side ,with waiting in a long queues that often extends into the main road. , Gone are the days where the garage attendant would come out and fill your car up and have a chat with you for 5 minutes. Its now a case wait your turn ,.fill.up and pay your money in some sterile ,high turn over multi national garage. The traffic on our roads is now at virtually saturation point ,where you need eyes like an iguana ,pointing in every direction for hazards and danger. This combined with parking problems, the cost of insurance and cars, that are now virtually electronic boxes on four wheels that make them nay on impossible for the diy mechanics to get his hands dirty in a sunday morning.
No wonder people are turning to cycling in great numbers. There simple to work on in the comfort of your back garden, they cost next to nothing to maintain and no constant money out goings on fuel and insurance/tax and most importantly no parking problems. The benefits of cyling just go on and on. My work is around 16 miles away from home ,and if it wasn't for the dangerous A road ,I would cycle there most days but I would fear to much for my own safety using it on a regular basis. Traffic congestion is not going to go away for many years to come and it makes me wonder if this big resurgence in cycling will no doubt keep on growing at its incredible rate.uhh

You having a bad day? Solution buy a motorbike, journey times slashed and grin factor huge.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Having a bad day. Absolutely not buddy. Its just my personal feelings about how my perceptions of motoring has changed over the years. I used to have a fair few motorbikes many years back but felt I was on borrowed time after a good to many friends lost there lives on there's. Right I'm off for a a quiet pint. A splash of brut and a sharp hair cut today will no doubt get the lady,s fighting from me tonight. ( well I can dream on lol :-)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Driving's still OK but the traffic is much worse as most places have failed to do anything significant and stupidly tried to build their way out of congestion, which is like dealing with obesity by loosening your belt. So I cycle more, preferably on low-traffic routes, using trains to extend the range if it's an option, rather than driving.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
'Despise' is an odd term in the context. I could understand 'dislike'.
I would never, nowadays, drive for pleasure. The car is useful for certain journeys. When they're done it's parked and forgotten until required again.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've never driven for pleasure. It's either been to earn a living, driving vans and small lorries as part of my job, or as a means to get from A to B.

jayonabike