The older I get , the more I despise driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I am not convinced that these smart motorways are going to make a jot of difference - from what I recall of the M25 variable speed limits they just exacerbated stop-start shunting and jam build up.
I expect there's plenty of data on whether or not they work and I think they learned a lot from the M25 implementations - had it been used before that? Anecdotally, the Birmingham M42 NEC smart motorway seemed to improve things greatly for my trips (well, until I got onto the still-dumb M6-A14) and the Bristol one may have but it was more rarely that bad when I drove through there (I avoided summer Saturdays as much as possible). I don't think the M25 Heathrow one improved things as much but traffic levels seem completely out of control in that area anyway so I doubt anything short of a trebuchet would keep vehicles moving there!

95% of them doing the school run, and disappear into another dimension during the school holidays.
Nah, they're parked all over the footways and cycleways in residential areas :sad:

I was surprised. It was a brand new Ford Fiesta 5 door, automatic from a company called Green Motion which I found on money supermarket.
Limited locations, but seems fairly cheap for small cars if you're near one.

Years ago when I first past my driving test ,.I actually used to enjoy driving and heading off somewhere for a day out. Everything back then seemed so much easier. Parking , the lack of heavy traffic, tailgating and aggressive driving all seemed to be rare occurrences. Nowadays though driving the car is more like a chore as apposed to enjoyment. Even the simplest things like buying petrol are a pain in the back side ,with waiting in a long queues that often extends into the main road. , Gone are the days where the garage attendant would come out and fill your car up and have a chat with you for 5 minutes. Its now a case wait your turn ,.fill.up and pay your money in some sterile ,high turn over multi national garage. The traffic on our roads is now at virtually saturation point ,where you need eyes like an iguana ,pointing in every direction for hazards and danger. This combined with parking problems, the cost of insurance and cars, that are now virtually electronic boxes on four wheels that make them nay on impossible for the diy mechanics to get his hands dirty in a sunday morning.
No wonder people are turning to cycling in great numbers. There simple to work on in the comfort of your back garden, they cost next to nothing to maintain and no constant money out goings on fuel and insurance/tax and most importantly no parking problems. The benefits of cyling just go on and on. My work is around 16 miles away from home ,and if it wasn't for the dangerous A road ,I would cycle there most days but I would fear to much for my own safety using it on a regular basis. Traffic congestion is not going to go away for many years to come and it makes me wonder if this big resurgence in cycling will no doubt keep on growing at its incredible rate.uhh

Well I dont drive a car, but the same applies to motorcycling. I do filter when I can, but I ride a big tourer and there is seldom a big enough gap for me to be comfortable doing so.

Also with regards to long queues, I once had neither the time nor the patience to actually join the line of people so just bunged £20 (for my £17ish worth of fuel) at one of the cashiers and f'ed off. Will avoid refuelling on Sunday evenings in future.

I neither have the patience to drive (well ride) to speed limits unless conditions are unsafe (they're often decent), and with all the traffic and speed cameras, my motorcycle touring days are behind me. I'm also richer than I have ever been too.

Can't think of anything more soul destroying than idling in rush hour traffic. That faux sense of freedom that car adverts are supposed to invoke whilst driving along empty mountain roads make me cringe. What a joke.

To think of the money I wasted on a new car as a young man while I earned next to nothing makes me want to go back and shake the naivety out of my former self. Bicycles4Life. :bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:

Drago

Legendary Member
To think of the money I wasted on a new car as a young man while I earned next to nothing makes me want to go back and shake the naivety out of my former self. Bicycles4Life. :bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:

Indeed, Sir. I always roll my eyes when someone tells me they can't afford a mortgage/pension contributions/insert other expensive but not terribly exciting commodity, yet they shuttle the four miles to work and back in a late model German car paid for on finance or PCP.

mjr

I neither have the patience to drive (well ride) to speed limits unless conditions are unsafe (they're often decent), and with all the traffic and speed cameras, my motorcycle touring days are behind me. I'm also richer than I have ever been too.
Yeah, speeding is rightly expensive, as these motorbikers are discovering http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-40853738 - that road is theoretically open to cycling but speeding is prolific, so few do.

mjr

Indeed, Sir. I always roll my eyes when someone tells me they can't afford a mortgage/pension contributions/insert other expensive but not terribly exciting commodity, yet they shuttle the four miles to work and back in a late model German car paid for on finance or PCP.
Paying for cars with angel dust? Well, a ready supply would explain some of the driving we see...

Given what I do - play bass in bands - a car is essential. I wish it wasn't.
At least I drive something comfy and easy, and live in Devon, so not all bad news. And driving home from a gig in the small hours can be pleasant, set the cruise for something gentle and listen to BBC World Service.

JasD

I generally can't stand driving either these days. It's just so busy on the roads, there's no real fun in it. We got rid of our car several years ago now and do pretty much everything by bike (with the odd exception of hiring a car to visit family about once a year). No longer having the car has removed me from the trials of driving and made me fitter and happier for it!

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
At 53, I'm pretty much fed up with driving and blessed with no car. Love not having the stress of it. I'd quite happily never drive again. Unfortunately, sometimes need to to see clients on site visits. Luckily, I rode my bike to the last one as it was within the city.

al78

Guru
I got a new car last year after doing without one for about three years. It does make certain things much easier, such as transporting a tonne of manure to my allotment, and doing a big home clear out and taking a lot of stuff to the local tip. I have tended to use it for visiting family up north rather than taking the train and folding bike since the Southern Rail crapness reached epic proportions (once being told on a strike day there was no way I would get to London that day, ended up hiring a car). Yes the experience of long distance driving reminds me of the joys of rail travel when it is operating properly. Trying to get to Salford the Thursday before Easter it took me over two hours to get along the M25 from Dorking to the M40 junction. On my recent holiday in Scotland I used trains and a bike to get up there and get around. Aviemore is well served by public transport and the lack of a car was only a very minor restriction.

david k

Hi
I hate driving in traffic, I hate driving when in a rush

I do lots of driving for work, when I have a long journey, 250 miles or so, if I leave after rush hour and take my time for a meeting the following day it can be an enjoyable relax, I often try to find new routes off the motorway

Sadly, I often don't have the time to enjoy and move from one meeting to another with little time between

Top Bottom