The older I get , the more I despise driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
How many is that in Cars?
ISTR a recent estimate of 1.2 billion vehicles on the world's roads, 95% of which would be "light duty vehicles" (passenger cars, light trucks & vans - can't remember whether that definition included busses).

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
95% of them doing the school run, and disappear into another dimension during the school holidays.
Just one less stop before clogging the roads on the commute, at least it seems that way here. Crewe Road hasn't changed a lot in terms of congestion over the grandes vacances. I think it's possibly more significant that working parents will take time off, and so won't be travelling to work.

mustang1

Guru
Any car, I just dislike driving.I learned a long time ago that I was fed up with driving and not fed up with the car I was driving. I have owned and driven in excess of 5,000 cars since I started driving so that could well effect my feeling towards the metal box.

Five thousand? I didn't even know there were that many car models. Unless maybe you mean you drive there same model more than once? Or maybe there are 5000 car models. But anyway...

I do not like driving as much as a used to, but I think that's more due to increased traffic congestion. If perhaps I went up north to Scotland or something, I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy driving again.

byegad

Legendary Member
I no longer own a car, Lady Byegad has one and I do drive it, but not more than 3000/miles/year. Lady Byegad tends to clock up 6 or 7000 on her own meeting friends and shopping, both for necessaries and for 'fun'*.

I haven't enjoyed driving for 20 years or so, having had a car and motorcycle licence for 48 years
So in my youth, I've certainly clocked up some miles both on 2 and 4 wheels, with a few thousand miles on three wheels when I had a Motorcycle combination, but now I drive because I have to, for pleasure I have my trikes!

*No it doesn't compute here either!

Lonestar

Veteran
Be glad China doesn't have US levels of car ownership - that would be ~1 billion right there (currently ~240 million cars & light trucks, and rising)

Yup I was thinking of China and USA...Obviously poorer countries don't have as many cars.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I dislike driving unless I'm going somewhere nice. Driving 1500 miles around France was quite nice, the roads are very quiet, the autoroutes (well, the free bits I used) very nice. That was for our holiday, chilled out in the camper. Only place I got the hump, in both directions, was Rouen, which seems to be a maze with a motorway that kind of starts and finishes in the middle somewhere, with the 2 ends not quite joined up...
Since we returned 10 days ago the van has moved once, and that was to pick the dogs up from the kennels.
Bit of a change from my youth, when driving was fun and we often just went for a drive for the sake of it.

Leaway2

Lycrist
The op pretty much sums up my feeling. I went car less about a year ago. I did hire a car for a day a couple of months ago for a about £10 to take my aged mother to see my brother who is ill.

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I freakin' hate driving in the SE of England. But I had a total ball driving in the west of Ireland, and in Wales and the Marches this summer, albeit the good burghers of Worcester are a mite too horn happy for my tastes.

Top Bottom