The Olympic flame.....what's all that about?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
having worked at wimbledon on the retractable roof , yes the residents do whinge like crazy. I worked in liverpool just after i qualified , fairly close to Aintree and yes the locals complain about the disruption there. but there isn't half as much hype as the olympics.
chester residents hate it when the evening races are on. but there isn't as much hype is there.

would i be happy if i was french - No because i would be french , but when does the tour hype start? bet its nowhere near as long as the olympics. how long do the closures and alterations last 1 day? 2 days at each location . not from the middle of June to mid september in some cases.

lots of people are saying its well supported in Stratford- have a look at the footage of the flame relay as it heads towards Bow- less than 200yds from the high street just a few people. so yeah really well supported

I have no idea how your employment status wiorks , but for me and i suspect many others , we go where our companies tell us to work. My last project happened to be the Olympics. I made it very clear from day 1 I didn't want to be there, as it happens I am no longer on the park full time from today. I am on a new project in the centre of town so no need to moan about no work. have been there part time for a few weeks. I also got a promotion , thats what comes from being good at your job even when you don't like what you are having to do. ;)

atbman

Veteran
Well, I went to Leeds General Infirmary on Thursday :birthday:to various children's wards and the kids, parents and nurses were absolutley delighted to see the torch and be photographed with it. No-one cared about the various sponsors of the torch, not even the mum who worked for Lloyds Bank (sponsors of my leg, as it happens), just that they had the opportunity to see it at close quarters.

There were kids who'd had heart or cranial, as well as general surgery and some who were pretty poorly, but they all wanted to have a look at and hold it, even those who couldn't even sit up.

As for the nurses, I haven't had an arm round that many young women in such a short space of time (3 hours) since.... well, ever, actually. I nearly had a stroke, but, fortunately, restrained myself.

atbman

Veteran
lots of people are saying its well supported in Stratford- have a look at the footage of the flame relay as it heads towards Bow- less than 200yds from the high street just a few people. so yeah really well supported

I'm glad to hear that this footage demolishes the idea that thousands upon thousands turned out to see it. I must have been seeing things in Leeds, 'cos I had the distinct impression that the pavements in Beeston and HUnslet were packed and that other people set off to work early so that they could see it on its route through the city centre, not to mention the couple of thousand or so who gathered in front of the Town Hall :hello:by my starting time of 7.30.

But then, what do I know about it :unsure:

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
[QUOTE 1951427, member: 76"]The road that the Tour uses are actually privately owned for the period that the race goes over them.

There are thousands of miles of closures every July. when I went to the Alps to watch a few years ago the road was closed to traffic for hours. Instead of moaning most people had a picnic.[/quote]
Behind barriers, or within arms' reach of the riders? I rather like "inclusive" rather than "exclusive", but what do I matter?

subaqua

What’s the point
I'm glad to hear that this footage demolishes the idea that thousands upon thousands turned out to see it. I must have been seeing things in Leeds, 'cos I had the distinct impression that the pavements in Beeston and HUnslet were packed and that other people set off to work early so that they could see it on its route through the city centre, not to mention the couple of thousand or so who gathered in front of the Town Hall :hello:by my starting time of 7.30.

But then, what do I know about it :unsure:
did I actually mention the words Leeds? NO
Leeds is a area that hasn't had it rammed down its throat for 7 or more years, . but if you want to compare apples and oranges then fine you continue . My brother inlaw and family went to see it down here and the police and sponsors" officials" were corralling people together to make it look like a huge crowd. great stage management i suppose . but not a reflection of the area.

I see User76 is still avoiding justifying his absurd claim that the Olympics are "all paid for" and that there is
no debt to the public taxpayer

atbman

Veteran
did I actually mention the words Leeds? NO
Leeds is a area that hasn't had it rammed down its throat for 7 or more years, . but if you want to compare apples and oranges then fine you continue . My brother inlaw and family went to see it down here and the police and sponsors" officials" were corralling people together to make it look like a huge crowd. great stage management i suppose . but not a reflection of the area.
Perhaps I didn't express myself clearly. I was simply saying that your experience was one of many and that, perhaps, it wasn't typical. On the evidence of members of my club who saw it in Halifax, Brighouse, Bradford and other local towns/cities, coralling the "crowds" to make them look bigger must have been a pretty rare occurrence.

As for the inconvenience of the chaos, road works, builders' lorries, machinery, road closures and so on, I've no doubt it's been maddening to people living where you do, but that's got nothing to do with the general reaction to the flame that I've seen and I have simply been saying that the negative views of many forumers about it don't match the reactions of the public in general. It may be, of course, that those people who didn't turn out to see it did so because they either objected to the razmatazz or the cost or were indifferent, but the keenness of those who didn't, or couldn't see it live indicates that it has struck a chord.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
I just don't get it. I have failed to be whipped up into a state of hysteria by it. It's a flame. It isn't some kind of holy relic or a few billion in cash, so why the need for all the security? Anyway, who cares if it goes out? You can buy a 20p BIC lighter almost anywhere to re-light it these days. I really don't understand at all.

Can somebody explain it?

It represents Prometheus stealing the fire from the gods on Mount Olympus and giving it to the human race. You're welcome.

Top Bottom