The Olympic flame.....what's all that about?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 1946137, member: 76"]OK then, so having been corrected on the Montreal points, [/quote]

Corrected?

Which part was corrected?

Was Montreal not paid for by a tax on tobacco and other products?

Was the debt not in existence until 2006?

Or are you in your obvious deeper wisdom than many of the financial experts claiming we will not be paying Olympic debts for a number of years?

If you really think it has "been aid for already"so then it appears that you are simply in denial!

You are aware of the "Olympic council tax levy in London" that is being paid until 2016 (projected)

Sponsorship does not cover the entire costs, and as I posted earlier, the quoted costs do not include the infrastructure such as roads, rail, and other costs which also fall on the tax payer. The £1 billion Olympic Village itself has been built, financed and remains outside the budget and wholly funded by taxpayers.

....you know move on to another subject.

In case you weren't aware, the way a forum works is that people respond to other people. There was a post by yourself which was responded to..... I even quoted it to make that easily understandable!

SO again your claim is a little bizarre as it was your post that moved the thread to the answer I gave!

It's fine not to like the Olympics, but why bang on endlessly? Why not just sit in a dark, joyless room for a fortnight writing a blog or something?

Or simply contribute to a forum by correcting incorrect claims and erroneous posts like yours?

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
These are her A levels.

I am talking about your exams at school so you can apply in the first place.

The equivalent here, Highers have a minimum time limit for when you can retake them to apply for certain subjects at University, and just thought it was universal when it came to Medicine. There are certainly people who need to get at least 5 flawless As in one year before they can even think of applying, otherwise they need to wait and try again later.

There's also a specific test you have to sit (UKCAT?) which she didnt pass but I believe can only do again after a year.

I don't know what the allotted time is that needs to pass before you can try again to get your qualifications, but the fact that even the test above requires you to wait at least a year is probably an indication for the time frames we are talking about here.

Sorry, I was just curious when you said she'd already failed things, that's all.

Please, there must be some medical people on here who can make the situation clear?

Torch went through town here last week.
This week local paper full of letters with moans from people who got there two hour early to watch a man with a torch run past and then they moaned that they stood there for two hours and all that happend was a man with a torch ran by.
Not quite sure what else was supposed to happen or what they were expecting.

I think I am a bit fed up with the olympics already. Mega overkill. Traffic Matrix signs are not there to tell you to use a bus when you go to london and I even got a email from TFL telling me to plan my journey. Endless profiles on TV with all the affleets sob stories.
Olympic logo just looks like a map of France to me.
Rant over!!

stowie

Legendary Member
I am not a fan of the Olympics - the events simply don't interest me. Therefore the nonsense surrounding the games gets amplified because I just "don't get it". I know I am a huge hypocrite because I would be the first one getting excited if the football world cup was held in London, and I am sure that this has at least as much nonsense surrounding it.

Having said this, the torch went past the end of my road on Saturday. There was a very commendable turnout of people on the streets. Everyone seemed to have a good time. Even a grumpy driver who got caught up in the traffic jam ended up laughing and joking when he got given a flag to wave by someone in the crowd. The Olympics seem very "Disney like" to me in that all the "spontaneity" and "fun" appears carefully stage-managed and woe-betide you if you don't stand in the right place and wave the right sponsors' flags. But the torch relay seemed much more good natured than this, slightly disorganised in a peculiarly British way, and the torch bearers were clearly having a lot of fun. The torch relay is more than a touch ridiculous when you look at it objectively, but I thought it worked quite well in my corner of London. And to cap it all Fabrice Muamba lit the cauldron and I cannot think of a much more fitting person to do it than him in E17.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I got held up in Bromley this morning by the torch relay passing through. I didn't mind at all about the being held up bit - it was a lovely sunny morning so I just went along with it and enjoyed the party atmosphere - but I was entirely underwhelmed by the spectacle of some bloke in a white tracksuit waving an oversized Zippo lighter about while being followed by a procession of buses smothered in corporate branding.

d.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
postcard-olympic-flame.jpg

Melbourne hoax

'A pair of underpants soaked in kerosine'

Just about sums it up, doesn't it?:rofl:

I'm barely interested in the Tour either, to be honest.

WHAT?!

BURN HER!!

Devil woman!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Torch went through town here last week.
This week local paper full of letters with moans from people who got there two hour early to watch a man with a torch run past and then they moaned that they stood there for two hours and all that happend was a man with a torch ran by.
Not quite sure what else was supposed to happen or what they were expecting.

I think I am a bit fed up with the olympics already. Mega overkill. Traffic Matrix signs are not there to tell you to use a bus when you go to london and I even got a email from TFL telling me to plan my journey. Endless profiles on TV with all the affleets sob stories.
Olympic logo just looks like a map of France to me.
Rant over!!

I was watching the breakfast news.... well, this morning, and they were in their shiny new studio overlooking the stadium.

Just put it this way, they were practically creaming themselves, and this is only Monday! What state they will be in by Friday is anyone's guess.

toroddf

I have to admit I am getting a bit fed up myself of the Olympics. There is really no sports there I find interesting. OK, Andy Murray at tennis and the road cycling event is good stuff. The rest is pretty uninteresting. The Olympics is barely making it into the top 5 of sports events for the rest of this summer. The Rangers saga, the rebuilding of my Nottingham Forest by our new Kuwait owners, any Indy/NASCAR/F1 race and the football league start is far bigger events for me this summer. Hopefully, my achilles heel will be OK again and I will be on the bike instead.

I will probably give the Olympic games a miss due to lack of interest.

Arch

Married to Night Train
WHAT?!

BURN HER!!

Devil woman!

I admire the effort involved - knowing how many million times beyond my ability it all is. I'm just not that interested in it, although it's nice to see a Brit win, especially as he seems to be a nice modest chap, and that's a quality lacking in a lot of sportsmen and women.

I think I'm just too impatient. I can watch the Boat Race, or the National, because they are over in a relatively short time. Anything more than half an hour for one heat/game etc, and I start to wish that anyone would win just to make it stop....

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I admire the effort involved - knowing how many million times beyond my ability it all is. I'm just not that interested in it, although it's nice to see a Brit win, especially as he seems to be a nice modest chap, and that's a quality lacking in a lot of sportsmen and women.

'And now the Raffle'

Sums it up really. :becool:

I think I'm just too impatient. I can watch the Boat Race, or the National, because they are over in a relatively short time. Anything more than half an hour for one heat/game etc, and I start to wish that anyone would win just to make it stop....

And now.... the snooker... with Terry Grifiths and Steve Davis... (yes I know that would be in about 1985, but shhh!)

Seriously though, I seem to be the opposite. I like to see a good old battle ensuing, and the longer the better as the tension gets ratcheted up.

That said, this Le Tour was a bit dull, despite who won, it has to be said, and well, all I really wanted was for Froome to make a break for it and put the cat amongst the pigeons as it were. Instead what we got was a Coronation lasting about a fortnight.

Top Bottom