The only form of eye protection that works for me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Only when you're talking to people surely? I've always removed sunglasses when I'm talking to someone so I agree with that, and I think it's a nice thing to do. But bashing out many miles on a bike, I don't see the issue with wearing sunglasses on a bright day?

It's a purely personal thing: I felt like a storm trooper when I wore them and decided I preferred to do without.

davidphilips

Veteran
Wear sun glasses because of eye Problems that Uv rays can cause, have been buying cheap (from China)
popolarized sunglasses that work great cutting out glare. but have been told by some cyclists that cheap glasses (that i buy) can shatter in the event of an accident? So perhaps some mid range poplarized would be good value?

keithmac

Guru
Yep, I use Bolle safety glasses which are anywhere between 5 and 8 pounds from Amazon. And they actually look and perform like they were designed as cycling glasses.

I admit that I do have some nice Rudy Project sunglasses, but for low light days the Bolle are perfect.

I use Bolle safety glassas at work, nice and comfy and well made.

12boy

Guru
I use RayBans which work well unless it's dark or very cold, in which case the frigid plastic makes my sinuses hurt. Never been able to find glasses or snow googles that are comfortable over my specs. The wind and sun here, especially on bright days with lots of snow on the ground, are not kind to eyes. In the summer there are lots of gnats that love to get in ears, nostrils and eyes.

Drago

Legendary Member
Wear sun glasses because of eye Problems that Uv rays can cause, have been buying cheap (from China)
popolarized sunglasses that work great cutting out glare. but have been told by some cyclists that cheap glasses (that i buy) can shatter in the event of an accident? So perhaps some mid range poplarized would be good value?
You realise that the cheap Chinese sunnies are worse? They're dark li,e regular sunnies, so your pupil dilates as normal - having opened up they eye you'll then discover the cheap lenses don't give any UV protection and the open pupils are letting more of it in, so you're actually doing worse than wearing none at all.

On the bike I wear nothing on the road, Bolle jobs off road. For normal sunnies use its Randolph Engineering aviators - the original and best.

DRM

Guru
You realise that the cheap Chinese sunnies are worse? They're dark li,e regular sunnies, so your pupil dilates as normal - having opened up they eye you'll then discover the cheap lenses don't give any UV protection and the open pupils are letting more of it in, so you're actually doing worse than wearing none at all.

On the bike I wear nothing on the road, Bolle jobs off road. For normal sunnies use its Randolph Engineering aviators - the original and best.
Chinese sunglasses are made from polycarbonate, which blocks UV and it’s nigh on impossible to get polycarbonate that does pass uv, see the video below from about 3:50 onwards

View: https://youtu.be/_R6dJVs7t_I

Top Bottom