The over use of question marks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've been studying posts on here and on other sites. I've noticed that people tend to use question marks when they aren't necessary. For example,if i was to write I don't think you should be doing that,surely it's a statement and not a question. If i was to put a question mark at the end of it then it looks as if i'm asking if you shouldn't be doing it,not saying that you shouldn't. Notice how i haven't put any question marks at the end of my sentences,as i don't think they should be there. What do you think about this? Are they over used and used incorrectly? (now that last sentence is a question,so it's worthy of a question mark):smile:

S-Express

Just stop (intended in the imperative, so no question mark).

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I've been studying posts on here and on other sites. I've noticed that people tend to use question marks when they aren't necessary. For example,if i was to write I don't think you should be doing that,surely it's a statement and not a question. If i was to put a question mark at the end of it then it looks as if i'm asking if you shouldn't be doing it,not saying that you shouldn't. Notice how i haven't put any question marks at the end of my sentences,as i don't think they should be there. What do you think about this? Are they over used and used incorrectly? (now that last sentence is a question,so it's worthy of a question mark):smile:

Yes, they're used too often and can make things confusing.

A similar problem exists with the overuse of exclamation marks. Some people (including CC members) seem to have a sticky "!" button on their keyboard.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
@Rickshaw Phil: can you please do the honour's with this one as well?

Honour's?

S-Express

Just stop. Yes that's a statement,but i've seen similar where the poster puts a ? behind it. How incorrect is that,i ask?

It is used to change the intended meaning of a sentence. For instance, if i was to say "You have some sort of attention seeking personality disorder?", then that is clearly inquisitive, indicating that further analysis might be needed before arriving at a conclusion. However, if I was to say the same without the addition of a question mark, then that would be a statement of diagnosis.

Drago

Legendary Member
Well, fair play for wanting to advance your education. Perhaps a visit to the library, there's bound to be a book describing then various rules for the written word, give yourself a head start before you get to class.

Drago

Legendary Member
Mrs D is blind in one eye and still drives. All DVLA declared, assessed as suitable to drive by the senior GP at our practice. You can hold a pilots licence with only one functioning eye. You can be a brain surgeon with only one functioning eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom