England : Oxfordshire The Oxford pie-cnic. Saturday 9th September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
There's a new thread - see Stephen's post just above yours.
Not the ride just the Pienic.

OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Have we had a roll call as to who is going yet ?

There appear to be a lot of apologies in this thread.
To be honest I haven't the faintest idea. I'll be there, as will Mrs W. I believe that a couple at least will be riding from Amersham with me, and various other people have made noises.

People - commit! The Norwegians are currently predicting a very pleasant afternoon.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
@srw I went to ask about train prices to get to Amersham Won't be much as I get a great concession with the railways. However they couldn't quote at the station as the Marylebone to Amersham stretch I was told is part of the underground network. Albeit an overground train. The rail enquiries site sugests I can take a bike on the train but talking to humans about it leaves me even more confused. Google maps shows to have only an underground sign outside the station but the arial view shows a British rail logo. It seems with my limited time for the day the journey to Amersham is looking unlikely. I may have to go directly to oxford.

Do you have experience of taking a full size bike on the Marylebone-Amersham line?

Sorry for the rambling post.

OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
@srw I went to ask about train prices to get to Amersham Won't be much as I get a great concession with the railways. However they couldn't quote at the station as the Marylebone to Amersham stretch I was told is part of the underground network. Albeit an overground train. The rail enquiries site sugests I can take a bike on the train but talking to humans about it leaves me even more confused. Google maps shows to have only an underground sign outside the station but the arial view shows a British rail logo. It seems with my limited time for the day the journey to Amersham is looking unlikely. I may have to go directly to oxford.

Do you have experience of taking a full size bike on the Marylebone-Amersham line?

Sorry for the rambling post.
What a hopeless experience. The station is an underground one, but is also served by Chiltern. It is possible to buy national rail (I almost said "BR") tickets from Marylebone to Amersham, but for most people it's not worth it, because it's the most expensive kind of ticket.

The cheapest kind of ticket on a Saturday is the Oyster/contactless fare - just tap in and out and it's £4.10 single.

The Chiltern trains from Marylebone do take full-sized bikes - no need to book, and no real restrictions outside commuting time. It's also possible to take bikes on the tube trains out here - but they're not running on Saturday.

Salty seadog

So on a Saturday it would just be Chiltern trains running on the Marylebone - Amersham part of my journey? IIRC oyster card tap out terminals can be used with a contactless bank card.

The other thing is I would be returning from Oxford so my best plan would be get a return to Oxford and just pay for the single on top on the Marylebone - Amersham section.
I'm starting to think I can make the ride after all.

Don't worry I said BR.

StuartG

slower but further
@srw I went to ask about train prices to get to Amersham Won't be much as I get a great concession with the railways. However they couldn't quote at the station as the Marylebone to Amersham stretch I was told is part of the underground network. Albeit an overground train.
You should be able to take a bike on this part of the underground. See this map: http://content.tfl.gov.uk/bicycles-on-public-transport.pdf

Salty seadog

Great news, just spoke to Chiltern railways and they confirmed that my journey is on. They picked the phone up within 3 rings, no recorded messages just the most helpful lady. Cannot praise that enough and I thanked them for the fantastic service.

£2.15 with my concession for a one way which should cost £8.50.:smile:

Top Bottom