England : Oxfordshire The Oxford pie-cnic. Saturday 9th September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Er you are going to be in Portugal ????

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Sorry, but realistically I'm not going to make this. My thread in General Cycling probably explains why.

Boo! :angry::sad:

OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Errr....what's the plan?
There has to be a plan? Cripes.

Errrm.... Ummmm.... Oh. How about

Start at the Angel and Greyhound on St Clements. It's a Youngs pub, so decent beer, and has reasonably large outdoor areas. It's also on the obvious route down from Amersham.

Pick up pies and other food at the Covered Market, en route to wherever* the piecnic itself happens. Take in the sights of Oxford on the way.

Once we've had enough of the great outdoors, repair to the Kings Arms (Youngs again, but it's iconic) or another pub.

*My first choice would be the University Parks, as suggested up-thread, but you're not allowed to take bikes inside. I'm on an old computer at the moment, but when I'm back on a faster machine on which Google maps doesn't threaten to fall over I'll have another think.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
There has to be a plan? Cripes.

Errrm.... Ummmm.... Oh. How about

Start at the Angel and Greyhound on St Clements. It's a Youngs pub, so decent beer, and has reasonably large outdoor areas. It's also on the obvious route down from Amersham.

Pick up pies and other food at the Covered Market, en route to wherever* the piecnic itself happens. Take in the sights of Oxford on the way.

Once we've had enough of the great outdoors, repair to the Kings Arms (Youngs again, but it's iconic) or another pub.

*My first choice would be the University Parks, as suggested up-thread, but you're not allowed to take bikes inside. I'm on an old computer at the moment, but when I'm back on a faster machine on which Google maps doesn't threaten to fall over I'll have another think.
So far so good!
Pit Rivers could also be on the itinerary as could Christchurch Gardens.
Pubbage is good especially the Kings and the not-so-sekrit pub round the corner!

EDIT: coukd we picnic on the meadow on The Plain at Maudlin Bridge?

Head of the River a good pub too....sells Gales HSB :-)

OP
OP
srw

srw

Could we fit in a visit to the cruising grounds? :whistle:
The Salter's boat station at Folly Bridge? It's about 40 years since I did it, but the boat trip to Abingdon is a pleasant way to while away a sunny afternoon.

OP
OP
srw

srw

There's now a separate thread for the ride, after a morning recce today. As that thread suggests, I'm expecting to get to the Angel and Greyhound pub around 1:00. Feel free to get there earlier. It's very obvious on St Clements, but if you've got a bike go round the back into the carpark - there's a back gate and a large back garden with some cover.

For those who have bikes I'll suggest a reasonably circuitous touristy route to the Covered Market - or it's a 10-minute walk, and you still get much of the tourist experience. Because the university is sniffy about bikes in its parks* (and even sniffier about public access to private gardens) Angel and Greyhound meadow looks a good bet. It was completely empty when I was there today. There are loos just next door. If we're all on bikes, I might explore Port Meadow at the other side of Oxford. Either way, I suspect it'll be mid-afternoon before we start picnicking. If she's driving, Mrs W has promised apple pies and cream.

If it's wet, there are cafés in the Covered Market, or else the Bear has a large outdoor seating area with shelter.

If you're driving, don't even think about driving into the City. Park at a Park and Ride on the edge, and ride or take the bus in.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
If you're driving, don't even think about driving into the City. Park at a Park and Ride on the edge, and ride or take the bus in.
Some years back I went to an internal job interview at Oxford Mail Centre (which itself closed some years back) & stayed in town overnight. I recall it was quicker to walk back into town than the taxi ride from the station...

Top Bottom